X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC Classes

I am currently a junior in high school, planning on enlisting for the National Guard this summer, shipping to BCT next summer, and starting at Ohio State for engineering in spring of 2014. I plan on participating in ROTC and taking the SMP route.

My senior year of high school, I am taking PSEOP (Post Secondary-classes at a nearby college to get college credits while in high school) classes. My recruiter told me between these credits and credits from BCT, I could almost start out academically a sophomore, even though I'm starting at OSU the spring semester.

My question: Does anyone have any idea if ROTC classes such as military science count as Gen-Eds (General Education classes, such as physiology and sociology) or if I would still need to take a lot of Gen-Eds in college? I am planning to either:
    1. Take AP English at high school (and hopefully testing out of a college class) and four Gen-Eds at PSEOP
    2. Taking two Gen-Eds and an English class at PSEOP.

I want to get as far ahead as I can since I am starting a semester late. I am a little unsure as to what kinds of credits ROTC counts for, and if I could use all four of these Gen-Ed credits in college, or if I wouldn't need four Gen-Ed classes in college and would be smarter taking an English class to be sure I can get out of an English class in college.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Re: ROTC Classes

military science classes typically count as electives towards your degree, but certain departments or schools inside your university might not even recognize military science at all. check with the department that your degree falls under at the university.

I'm running into this issue myself. My counselors excuse was that "ROTC is part of the Physical Education department" which is absolutely ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by JB_14 View Post
      I am currently a junior in high school, planning on enlisting for the National Guard this summer, shipping to BCT next summer, and starting at Ohio State for engineering in spring of 2014. I plan on participating in ROTC and taking the SMP route.

My senior year of high school, I am taking PSEOP (Post Secondary-classes at a nearby college to get college credits while in high school) classes. My recruiter told me between these credits and credits from BCT, I could almost start out academically a sophomore, even though I'm starting at OSU the spring semester.

My question: Does anyone have any idea if ROTC classes such as military science count as Gen-Eds (General Education classes, such as physiology and sociology) or if I would still need to take a lot of Gen-Eds in college? I am planning to either:
      1. Take AP English at high school (and hopefully testing out of a college class) and four Gen-Eds at PSEOP
      2. Taking two Gen-Eds and an English class at PSEOP.

I want to get as far ahead as I can since I am starting a semester late. I am a little unsure as to what kinds of credits ROTC counts for, and if I could use all four of these Gen-Ed credits in college, or if I wouldn't need four Gen-Ed classes in college and would be smarter taking an English class to be sure I can get out of an English class in college.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.
      ROTC classes are called "Military Science 101, 102, 201, 202, etc." They will count as 24 semester hours (8 classes x 3 hrs) toward a minor in Military Science. UNLESS you opt out of your MSI and MSII years (due to BCT counting as ROTC credit for them. In that case, they'll just be free electives.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
        ROTC classes are called "Military Science 101, 102, 201, 202, etc." They will count as 24 semester hours (8 classes x 3 hrs) toward a minor in Military Science. UNLESS you opt out of your MSI and MSII years (due to BCT counting as ROTC credit for them. In that case, they'll just be free electives.
        This is specific to the school. At Rutgers, for instance, they're only worth 1.5 credits apiece. I was given credit for the first two years of ROTC (4 * 1.5 = 6 credits) for having completed BCT and AIT, which counted as general education credits. Of course, then I transferred to Cooper Union where there is not ROTC program and as a result I got zero for my military service.

To the OP: Between ROTC credit, AP classes, and whatever college courses you can get done while you're still in high school you should be able to accumulate about a semester and a half worth of credits. The problem is making sure that 1) the college you're transferring to gives you credit for those courses, and 2) determining whether or not those credits actually fit into your degree program. Since you're studying engineering, you won't have much room for electives anyway. And in order to really be a sophomore, you'll have to have at least two semesters of calculus and a semester or two of physics knocked out (AP calc BC counts as two semesters assuming you get a high score on the AP test, I believe).

The way to figure this out is to get a copy of the curriculum and available electives and try to match up the courses you can take while you're still in high school with the courses offered at the school you attend to matriculate into.

By the way, don't just take stupid liberal arts classes like sociology to fulfill elective requirements. Take legitimate courses that will help you. Finance courses tend to be pretty easy and can be very beneficial. If you major in mechanical or (preferably) electrical engineering with a minor in finance and have some decent software development skills built up by the time you graduate, you are going to roll out the gate looking at starting salaries around 80+ k.

Comment

Working...
        X