Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty Scholarship (GFRD) difficulty/timeframe?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty Scholarship (GFRD) difficulty/timeframe?

All,
    I have been informed my packet for the GFRD is at cadet command as of 6 MAR 2013. To anyone that has gotten the scholarship, around when would cadet command let me know if I have gotten it or not? Lastly, I have a 3.6 GPA, 25 ACT, and a 300 APFT and I go to VMI. Do I have a good shot?
    Thanks for any help

Re: Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty Scholarship (GFRD) difficulty/timeframe?

Excellent chance, although are you sure you want to lock yourself into Reserve service right out of VMI? It's not hard to swing a dead cat right now and not hit a young Reserve officer that wished they could be on active duty. Going to VMI allows you the opportunity for AD, more than your non private service academy ROTC counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      Excellent chance, although are you sure you want to lock yourself into Reserve service right out of VMI? It's not hard to swing a dead cat right now and not hit a young Reserve officer that wished they could be on active duty. Going to VMI allows you the opportunity for AD, more than your non private service academy ROTC counterparts.
      The grass is always greener over the septic tank. I can introduce you to one or two former active component Soldiers who are very happy to have escaped the plantation.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        The grass is always greener over the septic tank. I can introduce you to one or two former active component Soldiers who are very happy to have escaped the plantation.
        Thanks for the input! I plan on being in he Army National Guard or Army Reserves because I want to go into law enforcement after vmi. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          Roger that. After being #1 on my school's OML, my PMS was dumbfounded when I told him I was staying NG... People will look at you funny, but besides the job security, there aren't too many benefits of AD vs. RC.

Comment

I can appreciate your and the Colonel's sentiment, but a job is a fairly important part of new graduates lives...I must have gone to BOLC with two dozen lieutenants who were frantically searching job listings trying to find work after they came off ADT.

Comment

Working...
            X