X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit limit for Tuition Assistance?

New to the Army here, so please... talk to me like I'm a beginner and explain acronyms if possible.

Background info: My husband has been in the National Guard for almost 10 years, including one tour of Iraq. He's headed to school this autumn to start college, where he intends to earn a B.S. in computer science. He's applied for Tuition Assistance via GoArmyEd.com and will probably apply for the G.I. Bill as well.

My question: Is there a credit limit cap on Tuition Assistance? He heard from someone once that the Army will only pay up to 120 credits. Most schools require between 120 and 135 credits for a bachelor's degree, so that seemed reasonable. We discovered yesterday, however, that the school he's planning on attending in Oregon requires a whopping 180 credits to graduate. This seems average for most schools in the state -- most of them require around 180, but they also seem to offer more credits per class (for example, 5 credits for an Intro to Biology class with a lab, instead of 3 or 4 like most universities) -- but paying for the extra 40 credits puts a damper on our financial situation.

I looked online and found a cap of $250 per credit or $4,500 per fiscal year, but absolutely nothing mentioning a credit or time limit. My husband tried contacting the GoArmyEd.com help number, but apparently there was a several-hours-long wait, and I figured if anyone knew anything I could find them here.

Any information would be much appreciated!

Re: Credit limit for Tuition Assistance?

one degree......if you start in the middle of the degree using fta, it is still one degree.........

Comment

I never heard of 180 credit hours to graduate unless those credit hours refer to quarterly. Usually its 60 credits for an associate's, 120 for a bachelor's. There is a TA limit. I suggest calling the GoArmyRep to receive solid info based on the school he is attending.

Comment

http://www.wou.edu/provost/aalc/advi...quirements.php

Ok, I saw this at the above link. I suggest calling the school and ask about how much time is normally required for completing 180 credit hours. If the norm is 4 years; then that is the same as the 120 but I guess that is a 5-year degree program. That is crazy. I did have friends that took more than 4 years to complete 120 credit hours so imagine 180.

Comment

The 180 is quarter hours, not semester hours. Some colleges use quarter hours based on how their academic cycle is set up. I think the conversion uses .67, but you can use a calculator online.

Comment

I think you can use it to get one degree per level ie, one associates, than one bachelors, than one masters, etc. ar 621-5

Comment

One degree.........

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                One degree.........
                No, its one credential at each level up to a masters degree. There is a credit limit, not sure of all the specifics but its 39 for the graduate level. However, TA has been suspended because of sequestration.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                  The 180 is quarter hours, not semester hours. Some colleges use quarter hours based on how their academic cycle is set up. I think the conversion uses .67, but you can use a calculator online.
                  That is what I figured. And I ran out of TA for my University of Maryland University College Master's program Since I also used the same TA for certification classes for Central Texas College. I had enough TA for one degree but I did not know fully what was the cap. I now had to pay two thousand dollars out of pocket to finish my last two classes. I have a plan that I pay 450 a month and that is working fine for me. My last payment is next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                    No, its one credential at each level up to a masters degree. There is a credit limit, not sure of all the specifics but its 39 for the graduate level. However, TA has been suspended because of sequestration.
                    Agree. Here are the links

https://www.goarmyed.com/public/publ..._policies.aspx

130 semester hours for undergraduate credit http://www.goarmyed.com/docs/Annual_TA_SOU.pdf

The use of TA is limited to 130 semester hours of undergraduate credit, or a baccalaureate degree, whichever comes
                    first; and 39 semester hours of graduate credit or a master’s/first professional degree, whichever comes first; or for
                    those exceptions outlined in AR 621-5.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                      TA for everyone?

I wonder if this will affect State Tuition Assistance?

Comment

The OC and I just posted links about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                          TA for everyone?

I wonder if this will affect State Tuition Assistance?
                          Federal sequestration should not affect state benefits per say, but states can always make an independant decision to follow suit. I would imagine most of that money one way or another still comes from the feds as part of some budget package crap.

Baffles the bejesus out of me why we just sent 250 million to egypt.

Comment

If your state has funds than state TA is not affected

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X