X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on the Reserve GI bill

ok so the time is come, im tired of putting off going to school so this fall I am looking to go to College. I currently live in North Carolina and looking at 2 different schools in Missouri to attend. They are both trade schools with a 2 year program for your associates degree. Most likely I will stay with my unit here in NC (its about a 10 hour drive) because I enjoy the people and my unit a lot. Im not really looking to transfer so I will just tough it out for those 2 years driving back and forth for drill.

Ive already contacted both schools and both do expect the GI bill. Now my question is where do I get started?

One of the counselors gave me her number and told me to just call her whenever I am in Missouri next to set up a visit and im planning to do that next month.

How exactly will the GI bill work? Ive read online that I will get around $350 a month while being a full time student but really have no idea on how the rest of it works. Do I need to get all of the paperwork from the college first or get in touch with somebody else? Sorry if I sound a little out there, im just really confused on how everything will work when it comes to the GI bill. Thanks

Re: Information on the Reserve GI bill

https://www.gibill.va.gov/ is the first stop. You can apply right online. The process takes a little bit of effort on your part, but ultimately it's not particularly complicated. In my opinion, it's at least half as easy as dealing with TA. Eventually the monthly "check" will be a direct deposit right to your checking account.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      https://www.gibill.va.gov/ is the first stop. You can apply right online. The process takes a little bit of effort on your part, but ultimately it's not particularly complicated. In my opinion, it's at least half as easy as dealing with TA. Eventually the monthly "check" will be a direct deposit right to your checking account.
      so that website above, do I need to go there and apply for benefits now or do I need to wait a few weeks until I go and visit the school that I plan to attend?

Comment

Hi, I'd like to alert everyone to a website that helps you choose properly accredited schools -- colleges, universities and tech-training schools. http://knowbeforeyouenroll.org/ Unfortunately, there are education companies that promise more than they deliver. So, I really recommend looking at this site before you commit to a school.

Comment

A few other questions Id like to ask.

If im attending school in Missouri but apart of the North Carolina National Guard what states benefits do I get?

Whenever I go visit these schools will I be able to find out that day how much school is going to cost me and how much my GI bill will cover?

Is the 350 a month for full time students all the money you are allowed while in school and have a rental lease?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina4eva View Post
            A few other questions Id like to ask.

If im attending school in Missouri but apart of the North Carolina National Guard what states benefits do I get?

Whenever I go visit these schools will I be able to find out that day how much school is going to cost me and how much my GI bill will cover?

Is the 350 a month for full time students all the money you are allowed while in school and have a rental lease?
            I can answer some of this, as I am in NC but attend an out-of-state school. NC State TA gives nothing if you attend an out-of-state school. To maximize benefits you can attend an in-state school, and get State TA, which is actually more than Federal TA in NC. (Had I realized this before I started school where I did, I would have picked an in-state school.)

Comment

I know that Guardsmen dont get full benefits but if you are a full time student and have a rental agreement do you receive any BAH?

Comment

Working...
              X