X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMP or National Guard Scholarships

I'm a high school senior and have recently been looking into ways to pay for school. I was researching and discovered the National Guard SMP. Can I start SMP as a college freshman, or do I have to wait until I am a college sophomore. I'm going to talk to a recruiter Monday, but any answers I receive in the next day or so would be appreciated! I have taken the ASVAB but I can't remember my exact score (it was in the 80's though) I have an 1870 SAT and 3.8 GPA.

Re: SMP or National Guard Scholarships

Only contracted ROTC cadets can serve as an SMP. Some college students participate in ROTC non-contracted while enlisted in the Guard, although that is not strictly speaking SMP service. Take a look at my signature file for some additional information.

Comment

I'm a college Freshmen getting ready to enlist with the National Guard in order to do the SMP program. I'm already in my schools ROTC program, I just haven't contracted yet. If I enlist and then contract, I would still be able to become an officer and not just remain enlisted right?

Comment

Your question is worded weird, but I'll try...

If you enlist in the NG and then go contract with ROTC, yes, you will become an officer upon successful completion of school/ROTC. You will be able to take advantage of NG school benefits as well as do the SMP program. However, if you, for some reason, BOLO out of ROTC, then you'll revert back to your enlistment contract and be required to serve in that capacity (general statement - some states differ on this, see an OSM for actual state-specific rules).

If you don't enlist and contract with ROTC, you can still opt to go SMP. Your ROTC program's NG/USAR Liaison will find you a unit to work with. However, you will not be able to take advantage of NG/USAR benefits since you did not contract with them originally. If you BOLO out of ROTC, you don't owe anything to anyhone (unless you scholarship but that's another beast).

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
          Your question is worded weird, but I'll try...

If you enlist in the NG and then go contract with ROTC, yes, you will become an officer upon successful completion of school/ROTC. You will be able to take advantage of NG school benefits as well as do the SMP program. However, if you, for some reason, BOLO out of ROTC, then you'll revert back to your enlistment contract and be required to serve in that capacity (general statement - some states differ on this, see an OSM for actual state-specific rules).

If you don't enlist and contract with ROTC, you can still opt to go SMP. Your ROTC program's NG/USAR Liaison will find you a unit to work with. However, you will not be able to take advantage of NG/USAR benefits since you did not contract with them originally. If you BOLO out of ROTC, you don't owe anything to anyhone (unless you scholarship but that's another beast).
          Thanks for the information. I'm getting ready to end my AIT training and wondering about going back home to school and getting into ROTC. I didn't know if I had to be contracted already.

Comment

Working...
          X