X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPLRP

I am a practicing dentist and I am considering the guard for student loan repayment. I have not gotten a direct answer from recruiters but I have federal and private student loans. Will my private loans be eligible for repayment?

Re: HPLRP

Originally posted by Eagle01 View Post
    I am a practicing dentist and I am considering the guard for student loan repayment. I have not gotten a direct answer from recruiters but I have federal and private student loans. Will my private loans be eligible for repayment?
    No, private loans are not eligible for SLRP. Check out the SLRP sticky under the benefits section. It will give you an overview of what the requirements are.

Comment

Actually, HPLRP loans are handled a little differently than SLRP loans. It's a different animal. I'd be cautious about referring folks to the SLRP stickie because none of the policies cover HPLRP.

That said, OP, private loans DO NOT qualify for HPLRP. I know you mentioned there being a $18K year federal loan limit, but this isn't true. $18K (I think it's $18.5K?) might be the limit for federally SUBSIDIZED loans, but you can qualify for an additional $38K in federally UNSUBSIDIZED loans. Might you be confusing subsidized vs. unsubsidized with private vs. government?

As a licensed dentist, you qualify for $40K per year for a maximum of $240K total towards your student loans, but only for your federal loans. Your private loans do not qualify.

By the way, you might focus your questions on one thread rather than multiple ones. It cuts down on the efforts of folks trying to help you.

Comment

Eagle01- Please quit cross-posting. This is at least the fourth thread you've started with exactly the same question and the same people waste time giving you the same advice.

Please make one post and see what happens. You're not going to get better or different advice by blitzing the same question all around the site.

RyCass is right that private loans aren't eligible for SLRP. For HPLRP, a different program that does not have the same rules, private loans also do not qualify. I gave more information on one of your other threads. Please consider closing this one.

Comment

Actually, HPLRP loans are handled a little differently than SLRP loans. It's a different animal. I'd be cautious about referring folks to the SLRP stickie because none of the policies cover HPLRP.
          Since you seem to know about this topic, could you include some references? I've combed through the current SRIP for FY 2013 (which the Benefit stickies come from directly), and it does not address HPLRP. I have found an older EOM from 2011 specifically on HPLRP but it doesn't make a distinction between private and federal loans. http://www.sdguard.com/wp-content/up...td-18APR11.pdf Do you have something for this FY? It would be great to add this to the stickies being such a different program, as you say, from SLRP. Thanks.

Comment

There is a policy memo that comes out every year describing AMEDD incentives and their requirements. It's toothy and takes a while to wrap your head around because of the interplay between the main ones (Special Pay vs. HPLRP vs. STRAP vs. MDSSP) which can be complicated.

The doc can be easily found by doing a search of the last year's: ARNG-CSG--FY 12-13 ARNG AMEDD Officer Incentives.pdf. I know it's posted in the MEDSOM section, which is CAC-required. Let me know if you have trouble locating it or interpreting. The reason why there's so much bad info going around about AMEDD incentives is that you have to have a pretty good understanding about the specifics of the process for providers (the difference between intership and residency, between board eligible and board certified, etc.).

Comment

notyet, I actually only started 2 threads and I posted the second one after I saw that there was a separate board for AMEDD. I did not plan on creating multiple threads about the same topic but I left it because this is not the most active of message boards.

Thanks for all of your replies. I did not know about the extra 38k from Federal Loans, for whatever reason I was only able to get $18,500 subsidized/unsubsidized. I am unsure if there were different loan limits at the time I applied for them (2002-2006). Hopefully my other loans will qualify.

Comment

Working...
              X