X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College

I wish to join the national guard when I turn 17, but I wanted to be in the band in college. Will the national guard interfer with that? Also if I get an acedemic scholarship to a college , will I still get an monthly allowance ?

Re: College

your obligation to the united states and the national guard come first and foremost. With that being said, you can manage both so much as it doesn't conflict with your training events or monthly drill weekends. Keep in mind you might be deployed or mobilized during your time in the guard as well. Don't let the deployment part scare you. You'll get both experience, respect, and additional benefits if that ever happens. It comes with the job

You should still be eligible for your monthly GI Bill regardless. I have talked with quite a few guardsman who are 21st century scholars that don't even use their educational benefits from the guard except for summer school. Some of them have typically use their GI Bill to pay for books.

Comment

You may want to look into enlisting as a band member in the National Guard. A tryout is required and is very challenging but well worth it if that's a passion of yours and you're good enough.

You can use the National Guard college benefits along with any financial aid and scholarships you may be awarded.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
        You may want to look into enlisting as a band member in the National Guard. A tryout is required and is very challenging but well worth it if that's a passion of yours and you're good enough.

You can use the National Guard college benefits along with any financial aid and scholarships you may be awarded.

Best of luck!
        Thank for bringing that up recruiter. I forgot the Guard had a band.

I actually had a school teacher in high school who was a sax player in the army reserve band

Comment

There are many benefits to being in the Guard Band, one of which is the education level and motivation of the band members themselves. You will be exposed to a bunch of guys that have anything from a high school diploma up to a Master's Degree. It's quite a difference from the regular enlisted soldiers, at least that was my experience. I was in a Guard Band a long time ago, and the unit we were attached to didn't do much of anything. It was a company that was designed to process paperwork, so on drill weekends the enlisted men spent most of their time trying to hide from the officers, and nobody knew what the officers were doing.

Comment

Also, if you enlist in the Guard Band, the Guard Band will be more sympathetic to you needing to "make-up" drill weekends because of football games. If you were in the Guard Band I was in and you had a college football game to march at, you simply needed to ask for permission ahead of time to make up the drill weekend. The standard procedure was to provide a football schedule to the Guard as soon as it became available. There was always the chance the Guard would not allow a makeup drill, but this never happened. You would come in during the week and do some office work, or whatever the fulltime AGR person needed done.

The best benefit of being in the Guard Band is probably the pay. You enlist as E-4 before basic. Your AIT could be nice and long, which would be some pretty big bucks for a 18-19 year old.

Comment

Working...
            X