Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Benefits for a Graduate Program Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Benefits for a Graduate Program

    Hello, I am approaching graduation and commissioning. Is there is minimum length of service before I'm eligible to receive education benefits? I'm having a really hard time finding a civilian so I was hoping I can milk the education money through a graduate program as income to buy time. Any thoughts?

  • #2
    Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

    You should qualify for Federal Tuition Assistance the day you get back. GI Bill may be a different story. I can't remember if I had to wait on that, but it seems like I did. There should be somebody on here that can answer that better for you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

      Federal and State tuition assistance may cover the cost of school, although you still need to eat. The GI Bill gives you cash money, although it's not much if you've never deployed.

      If you do get further education, I strongly recommend that you do something with a linear connection to the workforce (e.g., engineering, information technology, healthcare provider, accounting, perhaps business management).

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

        Here's some general information to add to what others have said: Education on the National Guard website.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

          Originally posted by cavtrpr278 View Post
          Hello, I am approaching graduation and commissioning. Is there is minimum length of service before I'm eligible to receive education benefits? I'm having a really hard time finding a civilian so I was hoping I can milk the education money through a graduate program as income to buy time. Any thoughts?
          If I may ask what areas of work are you looking at?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

            "hard time finding a civilian"????

            Anyway, you can take advantage of the Guard paying for state schools. I am two months away from my master's and FTA mostly paid for everything. I had to pay for the last two classes because I exhausted my FTA but it was still immense savings.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

              I served 12 yrs in the Guard and acquired a bachelor degree in that time. I have now been out of the Guard since July 2010 after reenlisting for 6 more years in 2006. I have not been to Iraq and would like to enter a Master's program. I submitted my paperwork and was told that I didn't not qualify for the post 9/11 GI bill, which I knew. Isn't there a GI Bill that covers a Guardsman after her leaves the Guard for up to 10yrs??

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

                Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                Federal and State tuition assistance may cover the cost of school, although you still need to eat. The GI Bill gives you cash money, although it's not much if you've never deployed.

                If you do get further education, I strongly recommend that you do something with a linear connection to the workforce (e.g., engineering, information technology, healthcare provider, accounting, perhaps business management).
                I think this may have been changed to include total active federal service. For someone who went to BCT (and thus SOCS) and BOLC, you could get approximately 50% of the Post 911. A deployment on top of this would probably put someone close to the 70% bracket.

                Also, +1 on the education suggestion.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

                  Originally posted by Wpridge View Post
                  I served 12 yrs in the Guard and acquired a bachelor degree in that time. I have now been out of the Guard since July 2010 after reenlisting for 6 more years in 2006. I have not been to Iraq and would like to enter a Master's program. I submitted my paperwork and was told that I didn't not qualify for the post 9/11 GI bill, which I knew. Isn't there a GI Bill that covers a Guardsman after her leaves the Guard for up to 10yrs??
                  Not that I know of. Best bet is to come back and finish your last 8 and returning receiving state and federal TA benefits.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

                    The issue is that your Title 32 AD time does not count for towards the Post 911 GI Bill. The only title 32 time that is eligible is for the Airport Security detail immediately post 911, and Title 32 AGR. ADOS, ADSW, ADT Title 32 is not eligible for Post 911 GI Bill, which is why typically Guardsmen need a deployment in order to qualify.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

                      Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                      I think this may have been changed to include total active federal service. For someone who went to BCT (and thus SOCS) and BOLC, you could get approximately 50% of the Post 911. A deployment on top of this would probably put someone close to the 70% bracket.

                      Also, +1 on the education suggestion.
                      The term is "aggregate period of active duty," regardless of it being in a federal/deployed status or not. Title 32 duty in CONUS counts too as long as you have it documented.

                      To be clear: active duty of any kind, whether it's state or federal, in the Korengal Valley or the upper East side, counts for GI Bill purposes. The only issue is getting it documented. If it's not on a DD214 you're going to have some issues.
                      Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; March 5th, 2013, 11:02 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

                        Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                        The issue is that your Title 32 AD time does not count for towards the Post 911 GI Bill. The only title 32 time that is eligible is for the Airport Security detail immediately post 911, and Title 32 AGR. ADOS, ADSW, ADT Title 32 is not eligible for Post 911 GI Bill, which is why typically Guardsmen need a deployment in order to qualify.

                        Title 32 AD time DOES count towards the Post 911 GI Bill.

                        http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/po...1_changes.html


                        Effective August 1, 2009, But Not Payable Until October 1, 2011

                        Expands the Post-9/11 GI Bill to include Active Service performed by National Guard members under title 32 U.S.C. for the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing, or training the National Guard; or under section 502(f) for the purpose of responding to a national emergency.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

                          I think this is a misunderstanding in translation. Title 32 AGR was added as an afterthought when the full time NG AGR staff was inadvertently overlooked in the original language. ADOS and ADT is specifically exempted. Which is why not EVERY guard soldier with BCT and AIT and a dd214 qualifies without additional title 10 or AGR service. If your assertion was valid each and every soldier leaving IADT would have partial post 9-11 gi bill.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

                            Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                            I think this is a misunderstanding in translation. Title 32 AGR was added as an afterthought when the full time NG AGR staff was inadvertently overlooked in the original language. ADOS and ADT is specifically exempted. Which is why not EVERY guard soldier with BCT and AIT and a dd214 qualifies without additional title 10 or AGR service. If your assertion was valid each and every soldier leaving IADT would have partial post 9-11 gi bill.
                            Do you have a reference saying it's specifically (or explicitly) exempted?

                            http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/p...3_pamphlet.pdf

                            You may be eligible if you served at least 90
                            aggregate days on active duty* after
                            September 10, 2001, or were honorably
                            discharged from active duty for a
                            service-connected disability after serving 30
                            continuous days following September 10, 2001

                            *includes active service as a National Guard member under
                            title 32 U.S.C. for the purpose of organizing, administering,
                            recruiting, instructing, or training
                            and active service under
                            section 502(f) of title 32 for the purpose of responding to a
                            national emergency.
                            I can't tell you why each and every soldier leaving IADT would not be trying to collect partial Post 9-11. If they are attending a public university in my state, State Tuition Waiver is a better option because chances are they would have a low pro-rated Post 9/11 GI Bill without substantial active duty time.

                            However, I believe jwarren is in the process of getting back pay for his Post 9/11 GI Bill with the inclusion of his Title 32 time such as IBOLC.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

                              I can find it tomorrow and post it. I just attended an SRC two weeks ago where at the education office "station" the literature specifically excluded ADOS, ADSW and ADT except for the airport security detail just after 9-11. Honestly I hope I'm somehow wrong because I'm at 90% and it would put me at 100 so I'd qualify for yellow ribbon.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X