Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Benefits for a Graduate Program

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
    I can find it tomorrow and post it. I just attended an SRC two weeks ago where at the education office "station" the literature specifically excluded ADOS, ADSW and ADT except for the airport security detail just after 9-11. Honestly I hope I'm somehow wrong because I'm at 90% and it would put me at 100 so I'd qualify for yellow ribbon.
    Jwarren and I will definitely keep you in the loop.

Comment

I can find it tomorrow and post it. I just attended an SRC two weeks ago where at the education office "station" the literature specifically excluded ADOS, ADSW and ADT except for the airport security detail just after 9-11. Honestly I hope I'm somehow wrong because I'm at 90% and it would put me at 100 so I'd qualify for yellow ribbon.
      All you have to do is look at your orders. If they were cut under 502 (f) it counts. Education offices are unfortunately not subject matter experts in va programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
        All you have to do is look at your orders. If they were cut under 502 (f) it counts. Education offices are unfortunately not subject matter experts in va programs.
        Some of them are experts at much at all. Or even helpful.

Comment

I think this is a misunderstanding in translation. Title 32 AGR was added as an afterthought when the full time NG AGR staff was inadvertently overlooked in the original language. ADOS and ADT is specifically exempted. Which is why not EVERY guard soldier with BCT and AIT and a dd214 qualifies without additional title 10 or AGR service. If your assertion was valid each and every soldier leaving IADT would have partial post 9-11 gi bill.
          I looked into it and a conservative reading of the language would seem to support your interpretation.

My orders for IBOLC were cut under 505.

However, if you still have the reference that says those who went to BCT and AIT are excluded, that would be great too. If I'm not mistaken, BCT/AIT is Title 10. I went digging but I could not find my orders from way back in late 2007.

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post

Comment

I just registered to add my $0.02.

There are two great issues in this thread: 1) the best benefits for grad school, and 2) Post-9/11 and ADOS.

First, grad school. I had also been concerned that my GI Bill benefits would be diminished by having been awarded a two-year Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) scholarship in college, but apparently they don't interfere with one another. Which also means that THIS is the best way to get the Dept of Defense to pay for lots and lots of school: get a four-year ROTC scholarship to pay for college, go on active duty for three years to reach the 100% level for the new GI Bill, and then the VA will pay for four years of graduate school. Eight years of education for three years of active duty time and five years in the IRR sounds like a great deal to me. Of course, I don't know whether those may not conflict in my case because I am beyond my initial service obligation? Maybe it doesn't work if you try it so abruptly.

Second, ADOS. I have been a drilling Guardsman since 2002 as a cadet and 2003 as an officer. I have two deployments plus OBC, which apparently contributes to 9/11 eligibility but which I did not expect, so I am currently at 90% without counting ADOS. I am currently in the process of submitting my ADOS orders to the VA to potentially put me well over the 100% level. But I don't expect that decision to favor me for two reasons: a) the VA interprets that statutory language as only applying to AGRs, despite the fact of most ADOS clearly falling within the language of supporting training, etc.; and b) my orders were technically "Active Duty for Training" (ADT) orders instead of ADOS, despite that I was hired to train units that were deploying, and not to be trained myself. So my state really may have screwed me on that one. To the more important point of whether and why ADOS won't count toward the 9/11 bill, I have submitted that question to my US Senators and suggest that you contact yours as well. Write them a letter explaining how long you were on ADOS, what you were doing, and how much money you are losing out because of the VA's strict interpretation.
            Last edited by Keithustus; April 21st, 2013, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X