Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forbes - Highest Paying College Degrees of 2012 for New Graduates

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
    However, the days of not having a degree are long gone.

So if you're going to go through the trouble of devoting 3-4 years of your life to academics, you might as well devote it to something that will actually put you on the radar.
    Agreed. Expectations from employers are higher. Although it doesn't necessarily mean the salaries are higher! :-\

Comment

It's not NYC-specific per say. The cost of living in NYC is extremely high. Basically, if you made $100k/year in Philly, you would need to earn $200k/year in NYC to have the same standard of living.

However, he is talking about entry-level positions at firms such as hedge funds. It's doable, but the reality is that you need to come from a top under-grad and have top grades/internships to snag that. Being an average engineer and having that expectation is not reasonable.

Fortunately, if you are an average computer science/electrical engineering major and you have a security clearance, getting a 75+k/year job (in an area with a much lower cost of living) is reasonable.
      Of course. I am close enough to New York to feel the pain of this fact through rent, but I guess I'm not quite close enough for the salary bump! I am hoping the clearance will come eventually from my employer.

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
      My experience (and job) is in NYC but these rates are typical for quantitative jobs in finance (mostly at hedge funds and investment banks), almost all of which will be found in major cities (with costs of living comparable to NYC).

I am not claiming that these jobs are easy to come by, only that they exist. And like I said, you don't have to be a genius to land one -- but it probably helps.
      I guess that is what makes the difference, because I work in hard engineering. Seeing a finance minor on top of the technical degree leading to such an increase in starting pay is what caught my eye.

Bingo. Because when it comes to the technical skills interview at most of these firms, they'll cut to the chase right away.

However, the days of not having a degree are long gone.

My dad does not even have a Bachelor's degree in anything and he's a VP at Bank of America. He specializes in database programming. That was possible 30 years ago, but if you don't have a degree, you won't even be on anyone's radar.

So if you're going to go through the trouble of devoting 3-4 years of your life to academics, you might as well devote it to something that will actually put you on the radar.
      Strongly agree with this. Engineering school was not the leisurely experience that undergrad tends to be for some people, but I can afford to pay double my loan minimums every month. I consider that a luxury.

Comment

I'm getting an Associate degree in General Education, then a Bachelor's degree in Forensic Science....

Comment

Sigh........I can see accounting isn't on that list..........

Comment

Working...
          X