Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forbes - Highest Paying College Degrees of 2012 for New Graduates

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-co...204949790.html

Of the ten majors with the highest starting salaries, six are in some branch of engineering, including computer engineering, in the no. 1 slot at $70,400, chemical engineering, no. 2 at $66,400 and aerospace/aeronautical/astronautical engineering, no. 4 at $64,000. The no. 3 highest-paying major is computer science, at $64,400.

In previous salary surveys, NACE has not broken down engineering degrees into such specific categories. But this time it found that each type of engineering degree had its own pay level, and a high demand among employers. The list emphasizes the robust demand for graduates with technical degrees. In fact the only top-paying major that isnít in some technical category is finance, no. 8, which pays an average starting salary of $57,300.

Re: Forbes - Highest Paying College Degrees of 2012 for New Graduates

And those are just the average salaries. If you combine a technical degree with a finance minor there are entry level positions with salaries of about 100k/yr, and total compensation for those positions (including bonus) can easily range from 150k to 200k/yr. Keep in mind that these are entry level positions, and are often occupied by people in their early twenties who chose their respective fields of study wisely. And you don't necessarily need to be a genius to get one of these jobs, either. Try that with a degree in criminal justice.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren
      I hear the X-Men are hiring!
      Fun-employment awaits them!

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
      And those are just the average salaries. If you combine a technical degree with a finance minor there are entry level positions with salaries of about 100k/yr, and total compensation for those positions (including bonus) can easily range from 150k to 200k/yr. Keep in mind that these are entry level positions, and are often occupied by people in their early twenties who chose their respective fields of study wisely. And you don't necessarily need to be a genius to get one of these jobs, either. Try that with a degree in criminal justice.
      Heck, they can even combine a technical degree such as Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering with a Secret security clearance (which a service member can obtain if they hold the right MOS). It is not unusual for that combination to carry a $5,000-$10,000 premium per year for a Secret clearance.
      Last edited by Polo08816; January 27th, 2013, 10:30 PM.

Comment

So is a criminal justice degree really that bad? I'm just starting college and I chose CJ as my major because
        I want to be a police officer after getting a bachelor's.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
          So is a criminal justice degree really that bad? I'm just starting college and I chose CJ as my major because
          There's still hope for you.

Read: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...n-introduction

The consensus is that Criminal Justice, by itself, will NOT give you any significant advantage over any other candidate.

However, in the event that law enforcement does not work out for you post-graduation, you've essentially dumped time and money into a worthless piece of paper that is nothing but a guaranteed EBT card. Also, if you ever aspire to apply to the most prestigious federal agencies, they will probably laugh.

In short, yes, a criminal justice degree in today's hiring environment is really that bad.

Originally posted by RedLeg
          No a paralegal degree is, I don't think you can even legally fix a parking ticket for someone.
          That is a cute attempt to hijack a thread. We've been down this road before. Your posts are borderline not even worth replying to.
          Last edited by Polo08816; January 28th, 2013, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Hot off the press! Reuters reporting this in the past 2 hours.

http://news.yahoo.com/pentagon-boost...034248436.html

Pentagon to Boost Cyber Security Force

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon plans to assign significantly more personnel in coming years to counter increasing threats against U.S. government computer networks and conduct offensive operations against foreign foes, a U.S. defense official said on Sunday.
            The plan, which would increase both military and civilian staffing at U.S. Cyber Command, comes as the Pentagon moves toward elevating the new command and putting it on the same level as the major combatant commands.

The Washington Post, quoting senior defense officials, reported late Sunday that the Pentagon had decided to expand Cyber Command's current staffing level of 900 to 4,900 in coming years.
            ...this is in the midst of the DoD cutting 46,000 positions due to budget cuts.

If you are a service member with a background in this area, your career opportunities are going to be incredibly interesting in the foreseeable future. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to make the switch to the USAR to reap the benefits.
            Last edited by Polo08816; January 28th, 2013, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
              If you are a service member with a background in this area, your career opportunities are going to be incredibly interesting in the foreseeable future. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to make the switch to the USAR to reap the benefits.
              You may not know of the IO Battalions in the Army National Guard. Virginia's own unique cyber unit has performed it's wartime mission on a sustained basis since 9-11, performing missions of varying degrees of sensitivity.

Comment

Depends on your career goals. PM if you have further questions.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                  You may not know of the IO Battalions in the Army National Guard. Virginia's own unique cyber unit has performed it's wartime mission on a sustained basis since 9-11, performing missions of varying degrees of sensitivity.
                  I did not and that sounds interesting. I'm looking into it. Unfortunately, such opportunities do not exist in my home state.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                    Out of legitimate curiosity, is this a NYC-specific quote? I am in one of the fields listed above at a F500, and over 100 for entry level is not at all possible if you believe HR salary ranges.

Comment

Yes it really is. No agency requires a specific criminal justice degree....none. As Polo said, if you don't get into LE than what are you going to do with your CJ degree? Go to school for accounting for example, which can still be applicable in the LE world, and now you actually have an employable skill. You learn everything you need to know about CJ in each respected agencies police academy....thats why they exist. When I went though the police academy I got 18 credit hours in CJ that I could apply to a program at the local college, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by PirateFace View Post
                        Out of legitimate curiosity, is this a NYC-specific quote? I am in one of the fields listed above at a F500, and over 100 for entry level is not at all possible if you believe HR salary ranges.
                        It's not NYC-specific per say. The cost of living in NYC is extremely high. Basically, if you made $100k/year in Philly, you would need to earn $200k/year in NYC to have the same standard of living.

However, he is talking about entry-level positions at firms such as hedge funds. It's doable, but the reality is that you need to come from a top under-grad and have top grades/internships to snag that. Being an average engineer and having that expectation is not reasonable.

Fortunately, if you are an average computer science/electrical engineering major and you have a security clearance, getting a 70+k/year job (in an area with a much lower cost of living) is reasonable.
                        Last edited by Polo08816; January 29th, 2013, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Always take these kinds of reports with a grain of salt (I personally ignore almost all of it completely, minus discussions on usefulness of certain degrees.) These are the same kinds of articles and publications that say people with an A+ certification in IT should be making $50k+ and so on and so forth. They also regularly fool new grads into thinking they should be walking into a high salary job within minutes of receiving their diploma. But to be fair, part of that is also how our society as a whole has portrayed the college education.

Also, making 6 figures in IT takes years of solid proven experience, regardless of where you live. And regardless of whether you have degrees or not.
                          Last edited by SteveLord; January 28th, 2013, 11:18 AM.

Comment

My experience (and job) is in NYC but these rates are typical for quantitative jobs in finance (mostly at hedge funds and investment banks), almost all of which will be found in major cities (with costs of living comparable to NYC).

I am not claiming that these jobs are easy to come by, only that they exist. And like I said, you don't have to be a genius to land one -- but it probably helps.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                              Always take these kinds of reports with a grain of salt (I personally ignore almost all of it completely, minus discussions on usefulness of certain degrees.) These are the same kinds of articles and publications that say people with an A+ certification in IT should be making $50k+ and so on and so forth. They also regularly fool new grads into thinking they should be walking into a high salary job within minutes of receiving their diploma. But to be fair, part of that is also how our society as a whole has portrayed the college education.

Also, making 6 figures in IT takes years of solid proven experience, regardless of where you live. And regardless of whether you have degrees or not.
                              Bingo. Because when it comes to the technical skills interview at most of these firms, they'll cut to the chase right away.

However, the days of not having a degree are long gone.

My dad does not even have a Bachelor's degree in anything and he's a VP at Bank of America. He specializes in database programming. That was possible 30 years ago, but if you don't have a degree, you won't even be on anyone's radar.

So if you're going to go through the trouble of devoting 3-4 years of your life to academics, you might as well devote it to something that will actually put you on the radar.

Comment

Working...
                              X