X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRFD vs 2 year scholarship

Do cadets in the GRFD program have to do the leadership training course before starting their two years in college? Or are non-prior service GRFD cadets left to hit the ground running when they start. I know that 2 year scholarship winner have to do that.

Also, you are a non-prior service cadet in the GRFD program, when do you do basic training? Do 2 year cadets have to do basic training as well?

For these two scholarships do you have to take a PT test or something to qualify?

How long does it usually take to know the results of scholarship applications for GRFD or 2 year after the interview with the PMS?
    Which one is more competitive?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by haha54321; January 23rd, 2013, 02:16 AM.

Re: GRFD vs 2 year scholarship

LTC Ritchie has commented on this program before. He is likely to be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

ROTC requires four years to complete. With permission, you may be able to compress your ROTC coursework into three years. If you have completed Basic and AIT, ROTC will count that as constructive credit for the first two years.

Basic and AIT are not required for SMP service, although that is an option.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...C-Scholarships

Comment

On a different note, I know that when commisioned into the reserves or NG, the mos and location you get assigned to is based on slot availablity.
        What I was wondering is whether there is a ranking for GRFD students? Kind of like the OML. Or is it free for all, where GPA and PT doesnt really matter?

Also, would having an engineering degree (master's in electrical engineering or mechanical) help me get a reserve spot in the signal corps or corps of engineers?

Comment

Originally posted by haha54321 View Post
          On a different note, I know that when commisioned into the reserves or NG, the mos and location you get assigned to is based on slot availablity.
          What I was wondering is whether there is a ranking for GRFD students? Kind of like the OML. Or is it free for all, where GPA and PT doesnt really matter?

Also, would having an engineering degree (master's in electrical engineering or mechanical) help me get a reserve spot in the signal corps or corps of engineers?
          For GRFD students, OML/ranking depends on state. I do not believe NJ ARNG implements anything of that nature when you deal with the OSM. I believe it's based on slot availability. In terms of dealing with the OSM, you have more leeway with ROTC.

I don't believe it has too much of an effect in the ARNG. I can't speak about the USAR, but from what I understand they may have more specialized opportunities to utilize your civilian/educational background.

Comment

NG slots are first come, first serve. If you want to be in a branch, you find a unit and see if they have a slot open. If they do, you sweet talk the Commander and get a LOA (Letter of Acceptance). When you commission, you'll be commissioned into that unit. OML doesn't affect this unless there are multiple cadets vying for a slot, and the Commander decides to use it as a competing criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
              NG slots are first come, first serve. If you want to be in a branch, you find a unit and see if they have a slot open. If they do, you sweet talk the Commander and get a LOA (Letter of Acceptance). When you commission, you'll be commissioned into that unit. OML doesn't affect this unless there are multiple cadets vying for a slot, and the Commander decides to use it as a competing criteria.
              Sir, that is how AL does it but that's not an accross the board answer.

I'm in the TN ARNG. In OCS they used to try and fill to your "wish list" best as possible, but now the state is more or less going to choose for us. In effect we kind of are competing for first choice amongst our classmates for slots. Not an OML per say, but it's pretty close to that. ROTC cadets are doing the same thing, competing amongst themselves. There's none of this "link-up with a unit" wheeling and dealing going on because the state J-1 wanted to be able to better control it.

It's even changing pretty soon from what we hear. After our class has come and gone, they are trying to morph it to a true OML where OCS and ROTC will actually all be racked and stacked together on one big state OML.

Bottom line is haha54321 that it is state dependent. Get with your OSM and they can give you the skinny.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                Sir, that is how AL does it but that's not an accross the board answer.

I'm in the TN ARNG. In OCS they used to try and fill to your "wish list" best as possible, but now the state is more or less going to choose for us. In effect we kind of are competing for first choice amongst our classmates for slots. Not an OML per say, but it's pretty close to that. ROTC cadets are doing the same thing, competing amongst themselves. There's none of this "link-up with a unit" wheeling and dealing going on because the state J-1 wanted to be able to better control it.

It's even changing pretty soon from what we hear. After our class has come and gone, they are trying to morph it to a true OML where OCS and ROTC will actually all be racked and stacked together on one big state OML.

Bottom line is haha54321 that it is state dependent. Get with your OSM and they can give you the skinny.
                Unless someone from ROTC wants a "combat arms" MOS, he could have the ARNG and USAR "compete" against each other in terms of branch offerings.

Comment

Definately a state dependant issue.

TX completely seperates its OCS and ROTC commissionees, where OCS candidates are OML'd against each other and ROTC cadets get to pick and choose where they want to go at LDAC (ie - they get a unit assignment and LOA before leaving camp). Not to mention that OCS generally gets the leftovers from ROTC.....

Sucks for the OCS guys, but who knows, it may change.

Comment

I don't think the leadership course is mandatory except for the scholarship winners, it wouldn't make sense. However I think you should check an official resource to verify this information, want to be sure you're on the right track with this. Good luck!

Comment

LDAC is mandatory for all ROTC commissioners. Even OCS goes to it but they call it Phase III. It's held at Ft Lewis in the summer in about 10 or so different cycles going through.

Comment

Working...
                      X