X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC and SMP Question?

I have recently applied for an ROTC scholarship and am now awaiting the results. I have an interest in enlisting before college and attending ROTC at a college simultaneously. However, the PMS I interviewed with told me I could not take a 4-year federal ROTC scholarship AND enlist in the Guard, because that would make my ROTC contract void. If I do receive a 4-year scholarship, can I use it, enlist in the Guard, and enroll into the SMP?

Thank you so much!

Re: ROTC and SMP Question?

You cannot take the ROTC scholarship and do the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP). The SMP is geared towards cadets who would like the experience of being in a unit while in ROTC. If you go SMP, you can utilize Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) and any other incentives your state may offer.

The Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty Scholarship (GFRD) is for those who are pursing a commission in the NG or USAR, and under this you would not go Active Duty after ROTC (or if you did, would have to repay the scholarship).

Typically, Freshmen, Sophomores and first semester Juniors may apply for a Two or Three-year ROTC or Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty Scholarship (GFRD).

Comment

One thing you may be able to do is convert your four-year scholarship to a DedARNG scholarship at the end of your MSI or MSII year. Your ROTC chain of command may not concur, however, so don't count on it.

What are your long-term military and civilian career goals? What is most important to you? Without knowing your goals and priorities, we can't give you the best guidance.

Comment

I really wish to serve as an enlisted guy before commissioning. However, the time/money needed for college is harder and harder to come by these days. If I get offered a 4-year ROTC scholarship, that would take care of college (at least the majority of it) for me. On the other hand, I really would like to sample both sides of the fence. That way, if it turns out I enjoy being an enlisted soldier, I could stay there, or commission into the officer side of the house. Finally, I feel like enlisting before commissioning would help me be a better officer, because the my learning curve as a butter bar would be much shorter than a freshly-graduated ROTC cadet with no prior service or experience.

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much.

Comment

Working...
        X