Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Schedule conflict with AT and Law School.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Schedule conflict with AT and Law School.

I have been in the military for about 14 years combined because I was prior air force but I have been in the Guard for a short period of time and have Interstate transferred. I am currently in law school and they have a strict policy set by the ABA about absences. I am currently trying to find a unit and I had a question. Normally AT is scheduled way in advanced but in my situation I am not sure when a unit has AT. I normally schedule my classes around AT. There is a lot of money involved. If I have to withdraw it will cause me extreme financial harm since the school and VA pays my bills. I would have to repay it in the amount of 20 K give or take per semester. If my AT falls in the middle of my semester is there anyway I can either be excused or due a split option or do AT at another time or IRR. I don't know what to do or if this is even a valid excuse. Like I said I normally have AT schedule way in advance but this time I don't and I am shooting in the dark. At the same time I don't want to shop units either. Any help or advice anyone can give me will be much appreciated.

Re: Conflict?

Originally posted by rrad1978
    My question has nothing to do with awol. I have been in the military for about 14 years combined because I was prior air force but I have been in the Guard for a short period of time and have Interstate transferred. I am currently in law school and they have a strict policy set by the ABA about absences. I am currently trying to find a unit and I had a question. Normally AT is scheduled way in advanced but in my situation I am not sure when a unit has AT. I normally schedule my classes around AT. There is a lot of money involved. If I have to withdraw it will cause me extreme financial harm since the school and VA pays my bills. I would have to repay it in the amount of 20 K give or take per semester. If my AT falls in the middle of my semester is there anyway I can either be excused or due a split option or do AT at another time or IRR. I don't know what to do or if this is even a valid excuse. Like I said I normally have AT schedule way in advance but this time I don't and I am shooting in the dark. At the same time I don't want to shop units either. Any help or advice anyone can give me will be much appreciated.

1) The units' training schedules for this training year should have been published back in September; why don't you know when each unit is doing AT?

2) Because AT orders are different from UTAs, you may not be able to just "make up" AT even if your local chain of command wants to allow it. This will vary from state to state and from year to year. Sometimes "year round AT" may be authorized, and at other times only block AT is authorized.

3) Personally, I think your rank makes a difference. If one of my soldiers who is in a leadership position (especially an officer) had a conflict such as yours, I would be much less forgiving about making special accommodations and I would make it clear that the soldier's priority needs to be fulfilling the obligations associated with the position for which he volunteered. If it was a junior enlisted soldier I'd probably be more open to working some kind of black magic in order to help him out. But that's just me.

Bottom line: start calling company commanders and try to find one who is more receptive to making accommodations for you. Your mileage will definitely vary on this one.
    Last edited by RyCass; January 10th, 2013, 11:20 AM. Reason: Moved thread for relavence

Comment

Re: Possible Schedule conflict with AT and Law School.

Originally posted by rrad1978 View Post
      I have been in the military for about 14 years combined because I was prior air force but I have been in the Guard for a short period of time and have Interstate transferred. I am currently in law school and they have a strict policy set by the ABA about absences. I am currently trying to find a unit and I had a question. Normally AT is scheduled way in advanced but in my situation I am not sure when a unit has AT. I normally schedule my classes around AT. There is a lot of money involved. If I have to withdraw it will cause me extreme financial harm since the school and VA pays my bills. I would have to repay it in the amount of 20 K give or take per semester. If my AT falls in the middle of my semester is there anyway I can either be excused or due a split option or do AT at another time or IRR. I don't know what to do or if this is even a valid excuse. Like I said I normally have AT schedule way in advance but this time I don't and I am shooting in the dark. At the same time I don't want to shop units either. Any help or advice anyone can give me will be much appreciated.
      1. With 14 years of service it concerns me that you have to come here to ask this question.

2. If you have interstate transferrED...as in, the transfer is completed, than you are in a unit. When you swore into the new state it would have been for a specific paragraph and line number.

3. If you did not swear into the new state, than you have not interstate transferrED, you are then looking to transfER.

4. Either way 2 or 3 aside, you are not the first one with this problem.

4-a. Figure out who owns you.

4-b. Express your concern with the units full time staff.

5. Complete AT.

6. Complete law school.

7. Join the JAG corps and listen to your Paralegal NCOs.

8. Do not double post.
      Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; January 9th, 2013, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Re: awol

Originally posted by rrad1978
        My question has nothing to do with awol. I have been in the military for about 14 years combined because I was prior air force but I have been in the Guard for a short period of time and have Interstate transferred. I am currently in law school and they have a strict policy set by the ABA about absences. I am currently trying to find a unit and I had a question. Normally AT is scheduled way in advanced but in my situation I am not sure when a unit has AT. I normally schedule my classes around AT. There is a lot of money involved. If I have to withdraw it will cause me extreme financial harm since the school and VA pays my bills. I would have to repay it in the amount of 20 K give or take per semester. If my AT falls in the middle of my semester is there anyway I can either be excused or due a split option or do AT at another time or IRR. I don't know what to do or if this is even a valid excuse. Like I said I normally have AT schedule way in advance but this time I don't and I am shooting in the dark. At the same time I don't want to shop units either. Any help or advice anyone can give me will be much appreciated.
        Work with your unit as much as you can. Unless you're really a critical member, they will most likely be understanding and let you do an alternate AT. Don't wait until the end of the FY though as you may not get an AT or "good" year.

Comment

Thank you for taking your time and responding. Its much appreciated. My units full timers would be the best option. I just had another question what is normally done in this situation that you have seen or heard with people in my situation? I am just trying to get a feel. Once again thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by rrad1978 View Post
            Thank you for taking your time and responding. Its much appreciated. My units full timers would be the best option. I just had another question what is normally done in this situation that you have seen or heard with people in my situation? I am just trying to get a feel. Once again thanks for your help.
            Its quite common to see people doing an "alternate" AT, essentially you are just one two weeks of active duty at the local armory supporting the full timers.

It is also possible depending on missions in your state and MOS / experience they use you to support other missions during AT time. For example, I did an alternate AT where I traveled the state for two weeks supporting the legal mission of SRP processing for one of our deploying brigades.

They will work with you if you are A. Not a problem child and B. willing to work with them.....99 out of 100 times anyways. There always is a "that guy" commander.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X