Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I join part-time is there a contract

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If I join part-time is there a contract

    I can sign that will pay off my student loans? Also how long will I be away if I join? Is deployment mandatory? How long do I have to stay with the national guard once i sign up?

  • #2
    Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

    Originally posted by philipee View Post
    I can sign that will pay off my student loans? Also how long will I be away if I join? Is deployment mandatory? How long do I have to stay with the national guard once i sign up?
    I have a bridge to sell to you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

      1. the guard will pay 100 percent tuition for public colleges. you receive both federal and state Tuition assistance and grants compared to only tuition assistance through the army reserve. but they won't pay for room and board, lab fees, etc books, but the money you receive separately from the Montgomery GI Bill can make up for that.

      2. basic training is ten weeks plus how ever many weeks your job training is. basic sucks, but there is some fun to be had in it. your AIT will vary depending on your job between 4 weeks to a year long. typically if you choose a support job (a military occupational specialty, or MOS) your AIT will be longer, but you will likely end up living in a dorm like setting. combat mos's like infantry are different and live in the traditional barracks.

      3. deployment and also mobilizations aren't mandatory but they do happen. how often they happen varies by state, unit, and what ever the government says. some units get deployed more than others. I don't know what its like in other states, but in my state very few units are being shipped off to Afghanistan any more. a lot of units are being mobilized for peace keeping missions or as task forces to places like Kuwait, Egypt, Africa, and Germany of all places.

      4. in the guard you sign a contract to serve for 6 years. it sounds like a long time, but keep in mind you drill with your unit once a month for two to three days at a time, plus another two weeks during the summer. you live a normal life, but with a responsibility to serve your state and country when needed whether at home or out of country.
      Last edited by Jackal; January 8th, 2013, 11:25 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

        All contracts total 8 years between part time service and that on the Individual Ready Reserve.
        Last edited by SteveLord; January 9th, 2013, 12:24 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

          Originally posted by Jackal View Post
          1. the guard will pay 100 percent tuition for public colleges. you receive both federal and state Tuition assistance and grants compared to only tuition assistance through the army reserve. but they won't pay for room and board, lab fees, etc books, but the money you receive separately from the Montgomery GI Bill can make up for that.

          2. basic training is ten weeks plus how ever many weeks your job training is. basic sucks, but there is some fun to be had in it. your AIT will vary depending on your job between 4 weeks to a year long. typically if you choose a support job (a military occupational specialty, or MOS) your AIT will be longer, but you will likely end up living in a dorm like setting. combat mos's like infantry are different and live in the traditional barracks.

          3. deployment and also mobilizations aren't mandatory but they do happen. how often they happen varies by state, unit, and what ever the government says. some units get deployed more than others. I don't know what its like in other states, but in my state very few units are being shipped off to Afghanistan any more. a lot of units are being mobilized for peace keeping missions or as task forces to places like Kuwait, Egypt, Africa, and Germany of all places.

          4. in the guard you sign a contract to serve for 6 years. it sounds like a long time, but keep in mind you drill with your unit once a month for two to three days at a time, plus another two weeks during the summer. you live a normal life, but with a responsibility to serve your state and country when needed whether at home or out of country.
          For clarification, the National Guard will pay UP TO 100% for state universities, and not all states offer the same education programs. Therefore, it's important to get clarification on this from a local recruiter.

          Also, so that there's no confusion on your wording, if a Soldier gets orders to deploy, then going becomes "mandatory". Deployments in themselves are not a "guaranteed" occurrence during a Soldier's career, which I'm sure is what you were trying to relay.

          To add to this, OP, please check out the National Guard website about Guard Basics.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

            Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            I have a bridge to sell to you.
            So it is 8 years with the stand by stuff? Also is there a contract I can sign that will pay loans I already have? And what did that guy mean by there is a bridge i can sell you?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

              Originally posted by philipee View Post
              And what did that guy mean by there is a bridge i can sell you?
              Sarcasm! BAZINGA

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

                Originally posted by philipee View Post
                So it is 8 years with the stand by stuff? Also is there a contract I can sign that will pay loans I already have? And what did that guy mean by there is a bridge i can sell you?
                Your enlistment contract in the guard would be called a 6 + 2. 6 years of service in the national guard and another 2 years in something called Individual Ready Reserve, Or IRR. The individual ready reserve is a period of time after where you are a free man and have hold no commitments with the national guard, but if necessary they reactivate you for service if they have to. To be honest with you, the odds of being reactivated are probably pretty unlikely. The national guard is over strength as it is and world war three doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

                to answer your other question. YES the guard, at least in my state, has a special loan repayment program that can be put in your contract. However it WILL NOT cover private loans. Only federal loans

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

                  OP, if you'd like more information on the SLRP program, be sure to check out the Benefits section here on the forum, or the SLRP section on the National Guard website. Let me know if you have any questions.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

                    Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                    Sarcasm! BAZINGA
                    I bet that is some kind of idiom for recruitment officers. I live in Arizona does Arizona have a federal education loan repayment program for part-time national guard?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

                      Originally posted by philipee View Post
                      I bet that is some kind of idiom for recruitment officers. I live in Arizona does Arizona have a federal education loan repayment program for part-time national guard?
                      The comment about the bridge was sarcasm and I said "bazinga" bcz of a character on The Big Bang Theory show who also does but get sarcasm.

                      A recruiter can tell you for sure if there us still student loan repayment in your state but I was told by recruiters in 3 states that all states are doing away with it except for those going in as Officers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

                        Originally posted by Jackal View Post
                        Your enlistment contract in the guard would be called a 6 + 2. 6 years of service in the national guard and another 2 years in something called Individual Ready Reserve, Or IRR. The individual ready reserve is a period of time after where you are a free man and have hold no commitments with the national guard, but if necessary they reactivate you for service if they have to. To be honest with you, the odds of being reactivated are probably pretty unlikely. The national guard is over strength as it is and world war three doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

                        to answer your other question. YES the guard, at least in my state, has a special loan repayment program that can be put in your contract. However it WILL NOT cover private loans. Only federal loans
                        We have 10 Soldiers that we recalled from the IRR for our current deployment. Just because the Guard is overstrength doesn't mean there are not shortages in certain MOSs.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

                          Also there are many units that are understrength.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

                            Originally posted by philipee View Post
                            I can sign that will pay off my student loans? Also how long will I be away if I join? Is deployment mandatory? How long do I have to stay with the national guard once i sign up?
                            Don't worry buddy being in the Army is easy as cake. On day 1 when you get to basic training they give you a beer, a sandwich, along with a nice comfy couch to lay on to relax because they don't want you to work too hard. Also if you have any problems with anything or anyone just give your union a call to help you out because hey as we all know the Army has a union.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: If I join part-time is there a contract

                              Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                              hey as we all know the Army has a union.
                              When hell freezes over lol

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X