X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Bill denied. Need advice!

Ok please hear me out battles. I've been at my Missouri unit for a year and last august I applied for the Post 9/11 gi bill while going to school full time. I was recently denied because I don't have 90 days of ADT! I have about 17 weeks of IET and misc active duty from the guard on my DD214. I know IET doesn't count typically but I still think it's BS. I qualify for the Mont. GI Bill but that doesn't pay for crap! What are my options? I gotta have my tuition covered and every stipend and penny for bills helps as well (jobs in my area are scarse), and that's why I was applying for the post 9/11 due to the book and housing stipend. I read that with my current ADT and service all I will recieve 200 a month for tuition under the mont. gi bill! I would like some advice as what my gi bill options are and other guard tuition assistance. On a side note/rant I think it's BS how reserve componants get the least $ and benefits while most of us need it the most.

Re: GI Bill denied. Need advice!

Originally posted by That_Guy View Post
    Ok please hear me out battles. I've been at my Missouri unit for a year and last august I applied for the Post 9/11 gi bill while going to school full time. I was recently denied because I don't have 90 days of ADT! I have about 17 weeks of IET and misc active duty from the guard on my DD214. I know IET doesn't count typically but I still think it's BS. I qualify for the Mont. GI Bill but that doesn't pay for crap! What are my options? I gotta have my tuition covered and every stipend and penny for bills helps as well (jobs in my area are scarse), and that's why I was applying for the post 9/11 due to the book and housing stipend. I read that with my current ADT and service all I will recieve 200 a month for tuition under the mont. gi bill! I would like some advice as what my gi bill options are and other guard tuition assistance. On a side note/rant I think it's BS how reserve componants get the least $ and benefits while most of us need it the most.
    If you don't have a GOARMYED.com account yet, go create one. Thats where you apply for federal tuition assistance. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. It's not crap, if you want the post 9/11 gi bill than put in some active duty time and earn it.

Comment

The benefit is for servicemembers that served on active duty for a specific time. If you want the full benefit; you will have to serve at least 3 years on active duty. Serving in the Guard brings forth tons of benefits but you have to realize that there are benefits that us AD Soldiers get over part-timers simply because we do this on a daily basis.

http://www.military.com/education/gi...erview.html#ec <--There is the link.

Be thankful that you can attend a public universities while in the Guard and do not have to pay tuition. That is a great perk in itself.

Many Guardsman want to get a deployment under their belt so they can least earn 50% of benefits under the Post 9/11.

I remember when I was in the Guard and I had a red/pink ID card and treated like a red-head stepchild; hence I felt so proud when I finally had a green one when I was AD Marine.. Now and days, all ID cards are the same regardless of component.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I know about tuition assistance, but I'm a little hazy on it. Will check it out! I am drawing Fasfa if it makes a difference lol. I hope to deploy soon and one possible depl. is rumored so fingers crossed. I've been thinking of taking some time off again to do full time guard work. It was just a shock to get this news right before semester start up after waiting so long and paying out of pocket last semester, so I have to sort this out lol. Thanks again and any more advice or "what you did or would do" would be appreciated.
        Last edited by That_Guy; December 30th, 2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I know about tuition assistance, but I'm a little hazy on it. Will check it out! I am drawing Fasfa if it makes a difference lol. I hope to deploy soon and one possible depl. is rumored so fingers crossed. I've been thinking of taking some time off again to do full time guard work. It was just a shock to get this news right before semester start up after waiting so long and paying out of pocket last semester, so I have to sort this out lol. Thanks again and any more advice or "what you did or would do" would be appreciated.
          What is wrong with you. You get 4500 a year for tuition assistance at a minimum. Use it.

Comment

Lol nothing is wrong with me. I was asking for advice regarding the GI Bill. I am registered at GoArmyEd but I gotta get to a computer before I can complete the process and call some people to see if it's advisable currently. FYI it is a 250 per credit hour or 4500 per year maximum not minimum, and a good 4 year university can easily cost 4 times that. I am going to Med School shortly so my tuition requirements are slightly different then the average joe.

Comment

Lol nothing is wrong with me. I was asking for advice regarding the GI Bill. I am registered at GoArmyEd but I gotta get to a computer before I can complete the process and call some people to see if it's advisable currently. FYI it is a 250 per credit hour or 4500 per year maximum not minimum, and a good 4 year university can easily cost 4 times that. I am going to Med School shortly so my tuition requirements are slightly different then the average joe.
              I know what it is, because I use it. 4500 a year is federal tuition assitance. Some states have their own program where they add onto that as well, which is why I said at a minimum. What on earth could possibly be not "advisible" about using 4500 bucks in free money? A "good" four year university is highly debatable depending on what your major is. Expensive doesn't mean good. What state are you enlisted in?
              Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; December 30th, 2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I am enlisted in Missouri. I am going to call my VA rep tommorow and my unit to get some more info about state TA. I will use the fed or state TA if needed but they won't cover all my tuition and that is why I am going to consult my VA rep tommorow. I want to do some Guard ADT so I can use the post 9/11 GI Bill for my tuition. It offer's a lot of monetary benefits that help.

Comment

I am enlisted in Missouri. I am going to call my VA rep tommorow and my unit to get some more info about state TA. I will use the fed or state TA if needed but they won't cover all my tuition and that is why I am going to consult my VA rep tommorow. I want to do some Guard ADT so I can use the post 9/11 GI Bill for my tuition. It offer's a lot of monetary benefits that help.
                  If you are going to a MO state school they will pay 100%.

http://www.moguard.com/moguard-tuition-assistance.html

Comment

A Soldier has only 36 months of full-time use of any one GI Bill eligibility, not to exceed 48 months for all GI Bills. This means that if you draw the Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR, Chapter 1606; this is the least generous, and the one that Guardsmen can draw after completing Basic and AIT, or ROTC/OCS and OBC/BOLC for officers) for 30 months, and later qualify for a more generous version, you shall have reduced your eligibility to only 18 months. Thus, I generally recommend not using the Montgomery GI Bill, unless you just can't complete school without it. You think now that you'll never get another degree, although the nature of our job market is such that you'll likely need additional schooling just to keep up (although not necessarily another degree). Theoretically, Federal and State Tuition Assistance have no such time limit (although as a practical matter, you'll eventually run out of legitimate ways to use the money). Therefore, my standard recommendation is to use first Federal TA, then State TA, and only then consider using the GI Bill (and only if it means the difference between completing school or not).

The Post-9/11 GI Bill has a number of requirements to qualify for the full amount. Spending three years on active duty will cause a significant disruption and delay in your educational and career plans, so perhaps strategically it's not worth it.

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I was planning on using the State TA first before the G.I. Bill since I will probably be going back to a public university to finish up some classes.

Comment

Working...
                      X