X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NATIONAL GUARD TUITION GRANT red flag question

i was wondering if anyone can answer my question. Im currently enlisted in the national guard and waiting to go to basic at the start of the summer. Im currently in college and will end this semester in a few weeks. Im looking to use my states tuition grant. My question is will i be red flagged because I did not pass my pt test at RSP this month? Will not passing my PT test red flag me and prevent me from using the state grant?

Re: NATIONAL GUARD TUITION GRANT red flag question

Originally posted by Schmitt444 View Post
    i was wondering if anyone can answer my question. Im currently enlisted in the national guard and waiting to go to basic at the start of the summer. Im currently in college and will end this semester in a few weeks. Im looking to use my states tuition grant. My question is will i be red flagged because I did not pass my pt test at RSP this month? Will not passing my PT test red flag me and prevent me from using the state grant?
    It could be possible. Identify your state and maybe someone from that state can answer. Each state runs their programs differently.

Oh, and delete your duplicate thread, it will only make people mad.

Comment

Good thing that I did not answer the other duplicate thread so I will follow Paralegal's lead. OP, a Soldier that is flag cannot receive TA benefits. Also, I have told many AD Soldiers in the past who gripe about PT is that PT is your job period. The military pays you and gives you a free workout gym to stay in shape. My AD Soldiers that make 45K a year are making good money to stay in shape. I was at the on-post gym at Carson yesterday and it was a new shining facility with indoor track and pool and it was packed by Soldiers and dependents at 1030am.

You want the benefit; then do your part and stay in shape and pass your PT.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        Good thing that I did not answer the other duplicate thread so I will follow Paralegal's lead. OP, a Soldier that is flag cannot receive TA benefits. Also, I have told many AD Soldiers in the past who gripe about PT is that PT is your job period. The military pays you and gives you a free workout gym to stay in shape. My AD Soldiers that make 45K a year are making good money to stay in shape. I was at the on-post gym at Carson yesterday and it was a new shining facility with indoor track and pool and it was packed by Soldiers and dependents at 1030am.

You want the benefit; then do your part and stay in shape and pass your PT.
        You're not wrong, but you're wrong.

He/she is not asking about TA, he/she is asking about state grant/waiver...which Is why I said identify your state.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          You're not wrong, but you're wrong.

He/she is not asking about TA, he/she is asking about state grant/waiver...which Is why I said identify your state.
          Here is Wisconsin and probably his state will have the same requirement. My point is that if you are on top of your physical fitness; then this should never be a concern.

http://dma.wi.gov/dma/SHR/tuition_grant_information.asp

WHO is eligible? You must be an actively drilling, enlisted
          soldier or warrant officer of the Wisconsin National Guard who has not already
          earned a bachelor’s degree. You must not be flagged for unexcused absences or
          failing to meet guard standards.
          Being in the Inactive Ready Reserve makes you
          Ineligible

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            Here is Wisconsin and probably his state will have the same requirement. My point is that if you are on top of your physical fitness; then this should never be a concern.

http://dma.wi.gov/dma/SHR/tuition_grant_information.asp

WHO is eligible? You must be an actively drilling, enlisted
            soldier or warrant officer of the Wisconsin National Guard who has not already
            earned a bachelor’s degree. You must not be flagged for unexcused absences or
            failing to meet guard standards.
            Being in the Inactive Ready Reserve makes you
            Ineligible
            That's all hunky dory and all...but not necessarily the right answer. The states that have a waiver written into law where no money changes hands sometimes do not have that stipulation.

Comment

I agree. OP, talk to your Readiness NCO to verify what your state's procedures are on FLAGS. In the mean time, start working on your PT! There's lots of great fitness information here on the forums, so I would encourage you to take a look. It's been my experience as well that if you talk to your line leaders and provide a workout plan, they are likely to work with you to retake the test right away. Most Commanders understand how devastating it is to a student to lose any TA, and are willing to work with a Soldier that makes the effort to correct a bad PT test.

Comment

Working...
              X