X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educational Benefit for Child

I recently spoke to a recruiter who I feel might be misleading me. She stated that my daughter would receive 100% In-State tuition if I was to serve 8 years in the NG. Does anyone know about this? Thanks

Re: Educational Benefit for Child

What state are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by indy2vegas99 View Post
      I recently spoke to a recruiter who I feel might be misleading me. She stated that my daughter would receive 100% In-State tuition if I was to serve 8 years in the NG. Does anyone know about this? Thanks
      I wonder if she is referring to the ability to sign over your education benefits to your daughter instead of using them yourself?

Comment

You can only do that if you have been deployed right?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
          You can only do that if you have been deployed right?
          There is actually a fact sheet on this! I found it on the VA website. It states that one of the requirements for the Soldier is being eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Here's more information: Transferability

Another thing it states on there is that the Soldier making the transfer needs to have "10 years of service in the Armed Forces." So, to answer your question, OP, it looks like your recruiter was correct but just off on the Time in Service needed to take advantage of this benefit.

Comment

I am in the state of Indiana. She also told me that I would be able to take out more student loans since I only have 30k right now and the NG would pay it. I read on this forum that the loans have to be a year old and the NG won't pay for new loans taken out once you sign. Thanks for the info! She specifically told me that I could get my student loans paid off, the G.I. Bill which I would be using for my Masters, and they would pay for my daughters tuition on top of that. I wrote everything down in front of her to make sure I was getting the right info.
            Last edited by indy2vegas99; November 30th, 2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I am in the state of Indiana. She also told me that I would be able to take out more student loans since I only have 30k right now and the NG would pay it. I read on this forum that the loans have to be a year old and the NG won't pay for new loans taken out once you sign. Thanks for the info! She specifically told me that I could get my student loans paid off, the G.I. Bill which I would be using for my Masters, and they would pay for my daughters tuition on top of that. I wrote everything down in front of her to make sure I was getting the right info.
              If you are in indiana, but close to Illinois, you would be better of joining the Illinois guard and going to an Illinois school. They have the second best education incentive in the nation.

Comment

What does Illinois offer that Indiana doesn't?

Comment

What does Illinois offer that Indiana doesn't?
                  A 4 year tuition waiver. (Waiver means no money changes hands, so it can't be denied due to lack of funding) the waiver can be used for any level degree, any state school, any time after you have served 6 months (it might be a year, double check). Indiana cannot come close to that, at least not outside of a bachelors degree. If you want a masters, that's the way to go.

Comment

I realize this recruiter's report is anecdotal and second hand (so I am hesitant to point fingers) but you wouldn't qualify for the Post 9-11 GI Bill regardless of time served. IF (and at this point, anyone just enlisting it would be a BIG IF) you deployed, and the same eligibility rules remain in effect a year long deployment would only entitle you to 60% of the benefit, and THEN in 10 years your daughter could be eligible for the 60% benefit IF you didn't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                      I realize this recruiter's report is anecdotal and second hand (so I am hesitant to point fingers) but you wouldn't qualify for the Post 9-11 GI Bill regardless of time served. IF (and at this point, anyone just enlisting it would be a BIG IF) you deployed, and the same eligibility rules remain in effect a year long deployment would only entitle you to 60% of the benefit, and THEN in 10 years your daughter could be eligible for the 60% benefit IF you didn't use it.
                      You're not wrong, but there are states with the benefits described outside of post 9/11...

Comment

Roger. I haven't heard of any state giving benefits to dependent children, but there are 53 different armies out there after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                          Roger. I haven't heard of any state giving benefits to dependent children, but there are 53 different armies out there after all.
                          Just FYI, CT gives free tuition to all vets...and I'm not positive, but that may include auto instate for dependants.

Oh, and there are 54. Guam, DC, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.

Comment

OK gives a tuition waiver too up to a B.A..

Comment

Thanks so much for all the info! I will look into Illinois! I'm just disappointed in my recruiter at this point. I emailed her asking her to verify the information she had given me and she won't even reply back.

Comment

Working...
                              X