Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Bill/FTA for Certs

Evening All,

I am looking for some guidance from anyone who has used the FTA or GI Bill (post 9/11) to help pay for certifications. I went over the site and I know that they do, for sure, cover the costs for the Security + and CISSP tests that I am wanting to take.

However, the directions and instructions for applying, reimbursing, etc are vague to say the least. Thoughts anyone?

Re: GI Bill/FTA for Certs

I almost went down this road, but luckily my employer has paid for my MCP, Net+, Security+ and other IT courses.

Try reading the info from here. http://www.military.com/education/gi...n-program.html

Comment

Good call. Even though I am in IT, my employer isn't as financially giving... :/

And I don't want to shell out $1100 for the tests if Uncle Sam will pick up the tab!

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
        Evening All,

I am looking for some guidance from anyone who has used the FTA or GI Bill (post 9/11) to help pay for certifications. I went over the site and I know that they do, for sure, cover the costs for the Security + and CISSP tests that I am wanting to take.

However, the directions and instructions for applying, reimbursing, etc are vague to say the least. Thoughts anyone?
        I was using it but it cut into my total benefit of FTA for my master's degree. So now I have to out of pocket the last two classes. While active and since technical role and CE was valid in ATCTS, I was able to get free vouchers for my Sec+, N+ and CCNA. I had to out of pocket my A+ and use FTA for the CTC MCSA program.

The school will give you a link on where you can check and apply. If you are not going to use FTA for your masters then go for it. My post 9/11 is transferred to my girls.

I fly out of Bagram manana so I cannot hit the ed center. When I hit Carson, I will head there and get the info. I had it but since I was ineligible, I toss it in the garbage lol.

Comment

CISSP is a beast and a Captain I use to work with passed his but he out of pocket the 350 bucks or whatever the expensive amount is. You fail, you lose that money.

Comment

I used FTA to pay for my MS degree. However, in order to really put myself out front, I really need to get the S + and CISSP. I know I could easily pass the S+ right now, its the CISSP one that is making me want to study... a lot.

I was going to get a voucher online from the tests centers to take it at the local community college since they don't have schools, per se.

I just want to use some small par of my benefits to take care of the cost. I know I'll have to pay for it intially, but being reimbursed will be nice...

Comment

If your current employer doesn't invest in you.....then I would be on the lookout for another that does. There are plenty. Training I can see, because that obviously costs a lot more. But exam costs are dirt cheap and would be the bare minimum I would accept from an employer worthy of my time/skills.
              Last edited by SteveLord; November 25th, 2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

FTA can be used for one degree and one certification. I was approved to get a certification but could never get the system on board, so I gave up and started using STA.

Comment

I tend to agree. I've been with my current peeps for almost 5 years. They've been uber helpful and understanding when it comes to NG duties... however, the whole cert process is a no go.

And thats why I am shopping around...!

Comment

Working...
                  X