X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard Residency Classification

I have a question about the National Guard and residency. I was looking at out of state colleges. If you are in another states National Guard unit are you considered a resident of that state? I have been looking specifically at Louisiana and Kentucky schools. I have tried getting answers from the National Guard and they always get me in contact with in- state recruiters. I am aware of the federal tuition assistance offered and my states specific benefits. If anyone could shed light on the general process about residency relating to the National Guard for out of state students, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Re: National Guard Residency Classification

In what state do you pay state taxes? Whose driver's license do you have? Whose car plates do you have? The IRS has a pamphlet on that topic, to define who is a resident of what.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      In what state do you pay state taxes? Whose driver's license do you have? Whose car plates do you have? The IRS has a pamphlet on that topic, to define who is a resident of what.
      Good advice. Some states might require you to live there for a certain amount of time to be considered a resident, as well. It's worth looking into the laws of the actual State to get your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        I'm a resident in the state of illinois. I'm in the pool for the national ROTC scholarship. I was looking at the states of Louisiana and Kentucky for residency requirements in conjunction with being a national guardsmen in that state. I would be completing basic this summer and probably do the split option completing AIT my freshman year summer for college. I understand the federal tuition offered, but it seems these states offer tuition waivers at flagship schools. I believe you have to complete AIT to qualify for that correct me if i'm wrong? Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          Good advice. Some states might require you to live there for a certain amount of time to be considered a resident, as well. It's worth looking into the laws of the actual State to get your answer.
          That is some smart advice I'm getting conflicting information though. I read if you are stationed in Louisiana you are given a residency waiver on a website outlining their education benefits for military members. If your in the National Guard you are considered stationed in the state of Louisisana correct? Then the curve ball On the actual colleges website it says you have to meet their residency's requirements as well. These requirements are paying taxes in the state living financially dependent in the state for 360 days.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAROTCZ33 View Post
            I have a question about the National Guard and residency. I was looking at out of state colleges. If you are in another states National Guard unit are you considered a resident of that state? I have been looking specifically at Louisiana and Kentucky schools. I have tried getting answers from the National Guard and they always get me in contact with in- state recruiters. I am aware of the federal tuition assistance offered and my states specific benefits. If anyone could shed light on the general process about residency relating to the National Guard for out of state students, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
            There are actually two classifications to this. In scenario 1, you actually qualify as a resident based off of their rules which is what LTC Ritchie and the others are talking about. In scenario 2, you are an out of state resident but are granted a waiver to pay in state rates based off you military service. Some places will but you in scenario 2 by either state law, or indiviudal school policies.

For example, the University of Louisville will waive tution to the 4500 a year we get for tuition assitance for ALL military regarless of status.

Texas will give all veterans in state tution if you sign a form saying you will declare residency there within a year.

Connecticut lets all veterans with a CT address go to school for free.

The list goes on and on, the best source for the most accurate answer is the VA Rep at the school you want to attend.

Comment

I'd like to add my question to this thread...

If I begin the Split-op process in Illinios, complete Basic and report to RSP in Il, but then go to an out of state college, could I complete AIT and then report to a different state for drill?

Comment

Originally posted by Connor View Post
                I'd like to add my question to this thread...

If I begin the Split-op process in Illinios, complete Basic and report to RSP in Il, but then go to an out of state college, could I complete AIT and then report to a different state for drill?
                Before we answer that, if you are joining the IL guard and wanting to go to an out of state school you are crazy. IL has the nations second best educational benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                  Before we answer that, if you are joining the IL guard and wanting to go to an out of state school you are crazy. IL has the nations second best educational benefit.
                  I have some personal reasons for wanting to leave Il

Comment

I have some personal reasons for wanting to leave Il
                    To go to which state?

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      To go to which state?
                      Ideally Colorado.

Comment

Ideally Colorado.
                        Then enlist into colorado when you get there. Do basic in the summer.

Comment

Working...
                        X