X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMP Program?

I was wondering if I joined the National Guard in Illinois and I went to a college in a another state would that work or no? Like if I went to Minnesota or Indiana. I was also wondering if I would get the tuition waiver or not, because of being in another state.

Re: SMP Program?

1. That's one heck of a commute to your monthly drill.
    2. State tuition assistance works differently in each state, although I know of none that will pay for an out-of-state school.

My recommendation is to join the Guard in the state of your school residence. Be advised that you will still need to drill and attend Annual Training with that unit in the summer, so think through your plans carefully before signing anything.

Comment

Re: SMP Program?

I'm doing the same thing you are. I have just enlisted in the MA National Guard but will be going to college in VT. Lucky for me there is a National Guard unit on campus. MA offers 100% tuition assistance to any state school but I will not qualify for that. Since I am going to college in VT I fall under those conditions and they don't offer quite as much advantage as MA

Comment

Working...
      X