X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Student Exchange Program

Was thinking of trying the National Student Exchange Program. My recruiter said I'd just have to get cleared by my staff, and I'd drill with the nearest unit while away. I think he's making it sound too simple. Anyone else able to provide some insight?

Re: National Student Exchange Program

Where are you thinking of re-locating to? If it's within in the US, then it isn't a complicated process. In general, it would require a nearby unit communicating with your current unit to coordinate a drill schedule for you. You would still be assigned to your current unit, so you wouldn't have to deal with an Inter State Transfer.

Now, if you are re-locating to a different country, you may run into some problems. It's likely there won't be an Army base conveniently located near where you are studying to attend drills every month. In this case, you might have to enter into the IRR during the course of the program, or risk having a bad year because you missed drills. If this happens, you would just "make up" the time at the end of your contract instead of entering the IRR after your ETS date.

Comment

In the USA, contemplaed out of country but decided against it for the exact reasons you stated. Also my recruiter said I'd lose my benifits if I did IRR. He said it was like taking a year off but getting another year added on to your service. But that pretty much answers my question, much obliged.

Comment

Benifits being college tuition assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by CallSign View Post
          In the USA, contemplaed out of country but decided against it for the exact reasons you stated. Also my recruiter said I'd lose my benifits if I did IRR. He said it was like taking a year off but getting another year added on to your service. But that pretty much answers my question, much obliged.
          Glad I could help!

Comment

Working...
          X