X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GED plus... college first?

I'm confused on what steps you have to go threw to go to college before you beome active duty? Do you go to the program the BCT, or do you go to the program then college? I may be completely wrong about everything I'm saying, but the website, nor Internet sources are telling me anything. I'm sure someone on here can.

Re: GED plus... college first?

Michael, the NG GED plus program is still currently available in selected cases. I'm not certain if you are referencing the now defunct program known as College First or just asking when you get your GED. The Guard also sponsored a program known as Patriot Academy to obtain a HS diploma after BCT. It is still operational but will be terminated shortly. These programs are status post BCT but prior to AIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      Michael, the NG GED plus program is still currently available in selected cases. I'm not certain if you are referencing the now defunct program known as College First or just asking when you get your GED. The Guard also sponsored a program known as Patriot Academy to obtain a HS diploma after BCT. It is still operational but will be terminated shortly. These programs are status post BCT but prior to AIT.
      So there is no GED plus program? If I go to my local community college and get my GED can I enlist, then go to college?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        Michael, the NG GED plus program is still currently available in selected cases.
        GED plus program.

Comment

Originally posted by Michaelmrk View Post
          So there is no GED plus program? If I go to my local community college and get my GED can I enlist, then go to college?
          What state are you from? I can tell you if it is still offering the GED Plus program. Here's some information on how that program works: GED Plus Program.

If you do decide to get your GED outside of the this program, you will also need to have 15 college credits in order to be eligible to enlist.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            What state are you from? I can tell you if it is still offering the GED Plus program. Here's some information on how that program works: GED Plus Program.

If you do decide to get your GED outside of the this program, you will also need to have 15 college credits in order to be eligible to enlist.
            Fort Bragg, NC

Comment

Fort Bragg, NC
              Nope. The GED Plus program is not currently offered in NC.

Comment

What states can I join the GED plus program in? What about new York or Vermont?

Comment

Michael, 15 college credits is only represents one semester. Is moving to another state to join the Guard worth it to you, rather than just enroll in a community college for 4 months?

Comment

What states can I join the GED plus program in? What about new York or Vermont?
                    Yes, both of those states are currently offering the GED Plus program with an ASVAB score of 50 or higher. Generally, this program is very competitive so just because they are offering it, doesn't mean they necessarily have open slots. Talk to your recruiter ASAP. Keep in mind, incentives can and do change overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                      Yes, both of those states are currently offering the GED Plus program with an ASVAB score of 50 or higher. Generally, this program is very competitive so just because they are offering it, doesn't mean they necessarily have open slots. Talk to your recruiter ASAP. Keep in mind, incentives can and do change overnight.
                      Do you know when NC might be offering it?

Comment

Can't you just call the Department of Education for your state and sign up for the next GED? I got my GED in NJ, and that's exactly how I did it.

edit: Apologies; I am behind the times. I was able to join with a GED despite having had zero college credits, but that was in 2002. Does anyone know if the 15 credit requirement is waiverable?
                        Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; September 10th, 2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Nope. Incentives can change overnight and without warning. The best way to keep up on the changes is to stay in contact with a recruiter. One thing I would like to point out, however, is that if you get your GED outside of this program, you only need 15 college credits to be eligible to enlist. At most universities, this equates to one college semester. You might actually be able to finish all these requirements while you wait for the incentive to change and be already enlisted. Just a suggestion...

Comment

Working...
                          X