X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJARNG Soldier Going to NYIT?

strangely i just now got my acceptance letter to nyit for the fall of 2012 but im defering my acceptance for fall 2013 since im going to be in IET till April 2013. what will be my options to try and pay for college since the nj national guard wont give me full tuition at NYIT since its out of state ? im also considering joining the ROTC over there to help pay , should i just get my GI bill as soon as i return from EIT?

Re: NJARNG Soldier Going to NYIT?

Originally posted by Blandino View Post
    strangely i just now got my acceptance letter to nyit for the fall of 2012 but im defering my acceptance for fall 2013 since im going to be in IET till April 2013. what will be my options to try and pay for college since the nj national guard wont give me full tuition at NYIT since its out of state ? im also considering joining the ROTC over there to help pay , should i just get my GI bill as soon as i return from EIT?
    NJ offers school with no tuition at state schools via the tuition waiver. Why in the world would you go to an out of state school?

Comment

What ParalegalNCO1 said. The one saving grace of the NJARNG is that the tuition waiver is unbeatable, and there are several decent state schools you can choose from for both undergraduate and graduate study. Joining the NJARNG and then going to an out-of-state college (unless you get a full scholarship) is insane.

By the way, ROTC does not exist to "help pay" for your tuition. It exists to train combat leaders. If being a leader of soldiers is not something that you feel drawn to aside from material compensation, do not enroll in ROTC.

Comment

i realize this ive actually been accepted To NJCU and did plan on doing ROTC from the beginning not for monetary compensation but because i want to be a leader not an Enlisted all my career Sir. what i meant with the help pay is the extra cash i would get from the rotc. ive just always wanted to goto NYIT but since most of this makes sense i guess in state is what im going to do then

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
          What ParalegalNCO1 said. The one saving grace of the NJARNG is that the tuition waiver is unbeatable, and there are several decent state schools you can choose from for both undergraduate and graduate study. Joining the NJARNG and then going to an out-of-state college (unless you get a full scholarship) is insane.

By the way, ROTC does not exist to "help pay" for your tuition. It exists to train combat leaders. If being a leader of soldiers is not something that you feel drawn to aside from material compensation, do not enroll in ROTC.
          Most former Rutgers ROTC cadets that received full-scholarships said if they could go back in time, they would prefer SMP.

Comment

Okay. By the way, I didn't know what NJCU was until I just googled it. Turns out I live about a mile away from it, despite having never known of its existence. NJ has some excellent state schools, Rutgers in particular. You should definitely apply there since you have over a year before you'll begin your studies.

Comment

Okay. By the way, I didn't know what NJCU was until I just googled it. Turns out I live about a mile away from it, despite having never known of its existence. NJ has some excellent state schools, Rutgers in particular. You should definitely apply there since you have over a year before you'll begin your studies.
              Hooah ; Thats the plan now lol

Comment

i realize this ive actually been accepted To NJCU and did plan on doing ROTC from the beginning not for monetary compensation but because i want to be a leader not an Enlisted all my career Sir. what i meant with the help pay is the extra cash i would get from the rotc. ive just always wanted to goto NYIT but since most of this makes sense i guess in state is what im going to do then
                I understand what you are trying to express but remember from enlisted E-4 Corporal to E-9 SMA are LEADERS. Many that are better leaders than O-grades.

Comment

I dont even live in NJ but I an in the NJARNG. I'm working on grad school with the tuition waiver. It's a huge benefit. As far as I know, its the only state where you can get what amounts to a letter from your commander and enroll in the school for free and just pay for your books. No 50%, 10% etc. Just a piece of paper.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
                    I dont even live in NJ but I an in the NJARNG. I'm working on grad school with the tuition waiver. It's a huge benefit. As far as I know, its the only state where you can get what amounts to a letter from your commander and enroll in the school for free and just pay for your books. No 50%, 10% etc. Just a piece of paper.
                    ..Illinois..

Comment

...Indiana

Comment

You should really acquaint yourself with the distinction between NCOs and officers (hint: it's not that one is a "leader" and the other is not). Since you don't understand this distinction, it is impossible for you to know whether you'd really rather be an NCO or an officer. I'll leave the details to the NCOs of the board, but I think you may find yourself being "aggressively corrected" for suggesting that NCOs are not leaders (a "squad leader" is typically a Staff Sergeant, you know).

By the way, as an officer, you'll probably be in direct leadership roles up until your junior Captain years. After that, get ready for about 10 years of staff jobs 'til you make LTC and can take command of a battalion. There are exceptions and not everyone gets company command as soon as they make CPT but this is a typical career path. NCOs, on the other hand (at least in combat arms), are directly involved with leading and mentoring soldiers throughout the entirety of their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                          ...Indiana
                          I personally don't count Indiana because it is only authorized for undergrad, however still a great benefit.

Illinois and NJ are the only two I know of who allow you to use the benefit for any level of education. NJ being the only state with no stipulations on how its used.

Comment

Consider NJIT. I may be wrong but it's the same tier and admissions is about the same.

Comment

I lived a block or so away from there. And only about 10min from the armory too. So convenient.
                              Last edited by SteveLord; August 2nd, 2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X