Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
When to leave? after first semester or after a year in college?? Help? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When to leave? after first semester or after a year in college?? Help?

    I will be swearing in very soon and have a decision to make on when to leave for basic training, should I wait a year to leave or leave after the first semester in like jan or feb?? Pros and Cons for both??

  • #2
    Re: When to leave? after first semester or after a year in college?? Help?

    Nick,

    All things being equal, and not knowing your exact situation, if you could enlist now, I would ship to Basic/AIT immediately and then start college in January upon your return. You will fully qualify for all college tuition/gi bill benefits, you will be drilling with your unit (as opposed to months upon months at the RSP), and it won't further interfere with your collegiate career.

    Just put off college for ONE semester. If MEPS can line you up with a training seat within the next 30-45 days (unless your AIT is extremely long), you can be back in time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: When to leave? after first semester or after a year in college?? Help?

      Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      Nick,

      All things being equal, and not knowing your exact situation, if you could enlist now, I would ship to Basic/AIT immediately and then start college in January upon your return. You will fully qualify for all college tuition/gi bill benefits, you will be drilling with your unit (as opposed to months upon months at the RSP), and it won't further interfere with your collegiate career.

      Just put off college for ONE semester. If MEPS can line you up with a training seat within the next 30-45 days (unless your AIT is extremely long), you can be back in time.

      This is great advice. If you could give us a little more information, such as what kind of MOS you are going for and what other military training you are interested in (i.e. becoming an Officer, WO, strictly enlisted?), we could give you a more applicable answer to your question.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: When to leave? after first semester or after a year in college?? Help?

        Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        This is great advice. If you could give us a little more information, such as what kind of MOS you are going for and what other military training you are interested in (i.e. becoming an Officer, WO, strictly enlisted?), we could give you a more applicable answer to your question.
        I plan on going 11b in Infantry My recruiter said I could wait a year or I can go after the first semester.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: When to leave? after first semester or after a year in college?? Help?

          11b infantry

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: When to leave? after first semester or after a year in college?? Help?

            Nick,

            That's a quick One Station Unit Training. (OSUT). Just enlist as soon as you reasonably can, and go get it done! No brainer. Really.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: When to leave? after first semester or after a year in college?? Help?

              How long Will I be gone for 4-6 months?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: When to leave? after first semester or after a year in college?? Help?

                Originally posted by nickmilner View Post
                How long Will I be gone for 4-6 months?
                10 weeks for BCT and 4 weeks, 3 days for AIT= 3.5 months

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: When to leave? after first semester or after a year in college?? Help?

                  So get moving so you can start school in January!! Go go go! Don't worry, it's a piece of cake.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X