X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1607 REAP Confusion!?!?!

Ok, I am sure I am making this way more confusing for myself than it probably should be. But, there is a lot of information out there scattered around on the net about the 1607 reap but it's not hitting the nail on the head for me. It looks to me like it only pays out a percentage based on your AD time which I qualify with 6 months OIF @ 40%. My question would be is this a payment made to me monthly? I fear this may be a reimbursement payment which is not what I am looking for. I am thinking it's assistance similar to the BAH payment the post 9/11 pays out monthly. Am I on the right track? Any help and advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated!
    Last edited by tnguy28; July 17th, 2012, 08:06 PM. Reason: Spelling lol

Re: 1607 REAP Confusion!?!?!

Originally posted by tnguy28 View Post
    Ok, I am sure I am making this way more confusing for myself than it probably should be. But, there is a lot of information out there scattered around on the net about the 1607 reap but it's not hitting the nail on the head for me. It looks to me like it only pays out a percentage based on your AD time which I qualify with 6 months OIF @ 40%. My question would be is this a payment made to me monthly? I fear this may be a reimbursement payment which is not what I am looking for. I am thinking it's assistance similar to the BAH payment the post 9/11 pays out monthly. Am I on the right track? Any help and advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated!
    Yes, it is paid directly to you; I believe it to be a flat rate payment and not a percentge. Regardless, however it would be a very unusual circumstance that this would ever be more lucrative then chapter 33. If you have 6 months in Iraq, you have chapter 33.

Keep in mind your long term education goals. You also get tuition assistance that won't be there forever, gi bill will. Make sure you are using the incentives that benefit you the most in the long run.

Comment

I have used REAP fairly recently. Because you have less than a year of deployment you will receive 40% of the MGIB 3 year rate. Is it better or worse than the Post 9-11? Well, that depends on what form of education you are attending. Once you switch to the post 9-11 GI Bill, you CAN NOT get out of it. If you are attending DL courses, instead of a "brick and mortar" institution where you live, 1607 can be a better "deal", and yes it's a GI Bill check that comes as a direct deposit monthly while classes are in session.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        I have used REAP fairly recently. Because you have less than a year of deployment you will receive 40% of the MGIB 3 year rate. Is it better or worse than the Post 9-11? Well, that depends on what form of education you are attending. Once you switch to the post 9-11 GI Bill, you CAN NOT get out of it. If you are attending DL courses, instead of a "brick and mortar" institution where you live, 1607 can be a better "deal", and yes it's a GI Bill check that comes as a direct deposit monthly while classes are in session.
        They pay bah for distance learning at a percentage of the non locality bah rate, it used to be zero but now at least it's something

Comment

I had heard rumors of that Para, although I haven't had the need to use my remaining GI Bill benefit since. I'm glad, cause that kind of sucked the way it was.

Comment

I am attending community college in my local area and tuition is relatively low. I have already jumped on the tuition assistance and that should take care of all my tuition costs so the REAP will be a much appreciated bonus. The Reap comes a long with a little more hassle but it pays out another $100 for me every month. I think for now I will stick with the REAP. I really apprecite you all taking your time to help me.

Comment

I am attending community college in my local area and tuition is relatively low. I have already jumped on the tuition assistance and that should take care of all my tuition costs so the REAP will be a much appreciated bonus. The Reap comes a long with a little more hassle but it pays out another $100 for me every month. I think for now I will stick with the REAP. I really apprecite you all taking your time to help me.
              What is the total you are receiving each month? If you have any aspirations of grad school you may be making a terrible mistake, not to mention chapter 33 would probably pay you more now!

Comment

This might shed some light on your question about the 1607: http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/po...ill/index.html. It also discusses how the incentive amounts vary depending on what school you go to as well as the BAH.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                  What is the total you are receiving each month? If you have any aspirations of grad school you may be making a terrible mistake, not to mention chapter 33 would probably pay you more now!
                  I checked the rates for my zipcode and the school's zipcode for BAH rates. I suspect after reviewing the VA website RyCass pointed out that they go on the school's zip for that figure. My best friend has the post 9/11 and his MHA is in line with that figure minus his kicker. So, that being said post 9/11 pays out 340.50 a month. Looks like Reap will pay me a flate rate of 589.20. This is a substantial difference in pay out for me considering my tuition costs are low and bieng paid while I am in community college for two years and tuition assistance covers it all. I should be able to switch to post 9/11 once I start my Junior year with a more expensive private institution. Also once you choose to use post 9/11, that is an irrevocable choice and you can never go back to the REAP.
                  Last edited by tnguy28; July 18th, 2012, 02:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I checked the rates for my zipcode and the school's zipcode for BAH rates. I suspect after reviewing the VA website RyCass pointed out that they go on the school's zip for that figure. My best friend has the post 9/11 and his MHA is in line with that figure minus his kicker. So, that being said post 9/11 pays out 340.50 a month. Looks like Reap will pay me a flate rate of 589.20. This is a substantial difference in pay out for me considering my tuition costs are low and bieng paid while I am in community college for two years and tuition assistance covers it all. I should be able to switch to post 9/11 once I start my Junior year with a more expensive private institution. Also once you choose to use post 9/11, that is an irrevocable choice and you can never go back to the REAP.
                    Good analysis of your benefits. Im glad you are looking at all the options. Just one more thing to add.....you can get 36 months of GI Bill beneftis under any Chapter. But once those 36 months are exhausted, if you are eligible for another Chapter you can get an additional 12 months.

So, for you it means this.......

If you use 2 years of REAP, and then elect post 9/11 GI BIll, you will only get an additional 12 months of benefits not exceeding 36.

If you completly exhaust 36 months (3 years) of REAP, you are then eligble for another 12 months of Post 9-11 GI Bill.

So in other words, you can maximize your benefits for an additional 12 months if you convert to Post 9/11 on month 37 of benefits.

Comment

Glad to hear you've figured it all out. Good luck with your education!

Comment

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                        X