X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Should I Do?

I want to enlist in the National Guard as a 68W (combat medic), but I also want to go to college. At first I was planning on doing BCT after I graduate from high school and before I go to college, and then complete AIT between my first and second year. The duration of BCT is no problem, however, AIT for a 68W is 16 weeks, which would cut into the first month of my second year. I really want to enlist, but I don't know if I should take a year off first to go through BCT and AIT, or if I should just wait until after college, or if I should still try to go with the original plan.

Re: What Should I Do?

If you take the EMT-B certification (which you can do at your local community college) during your first year of college then you should be able to skip over about the first 6 weeks of 68w AIT. That should give you enough time to continue to do split op if you want. Heck, you might even be able to enroll in the course now as a senior in high school and get it out of the way. Keep in mind you will have to continue to go to RSP drills one weekend a month during that school year in between BCT and AIT.

Comment

Frankly your best route, in my opinion, is to just start one semester late, and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        Frankly your best route, in my opinion, is to just start one semester late, and be done with it.
        I agree with this as well. I've not done split op, but I'm in RSP drill with a lot of folks in that position and all I can say is that it must suck. You just get into the swing of things after BCT and then you have to leave and come back to it a year later? Not to mention being stuck in RSP for that long.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
          I agree. Staying in RSP will s*ck.

You could catch up in the summer if your school offers summer classes.

Comment

Working...
          X