X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict?

One of the main reasons of why my parents don't want me to join the Guard is because they worry the Guard, ROTC and studying will all conflict. Does it conflict a lot, not at all, or just a little? thanks

Re: Conflict?

Originally posted by JTM95 View Post
    One of the main reasons of why my parents don't want me to join the Guard is because they worry the Guard, ROTC and studying will all conflict. Does it conflict a lot, not at all, or just a little? thanks
    Multitasking is a part of adult life. I have been actively drilling with various Guard units since I was 18, and I earned a degree (and maintained a > 3.5 GPA) in mechanical engineering from a pretty tough school along the way (granted, it took me seven years to complete my degree because I was deployed twice as an undergraduate). That said, I didn't have too many options -- I couldn't have afforded to go to school without the Army.

I'll put it this way. If you can afford the costs and you're going to be studying something very challenging at a demanding school (say, physics or applied math at MIT or CalTech), just go to college, get the best grades you can, and enlist afterward if you still feel the calling. Otherwise, if you know it's for you, go sign yourself up.

And let's get something straight about deployments. Right now there is a lot of talk about how the deployments are becoming less likely because the wars are "winding down" (Ha, tell that to an 11B in the mountains of Afghanistan!). I would put that out of your mind and simply factor into your decision a high likelihood of at least one ~12 month deployment (which is more like 15-18 months when you add in mobilization training) during your undergraduate studies. If this prospect makes you uncomfortable, you probably should not join.

Good luck with whichever path you choose.

Comment

No its not a fact of conflict . You are going to go a place of discipline and its one kind of learning . You are joining means you are really going to learn some great things . It is not same in category but its a great place to learn . Don't think it that way and say to your friends about it . I am saying you that you will be able to enjoy your life better than now if you go to that world .
      Last edited by RyCass; September 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

ROTC by far ate up more time than the guard did for me in college. The only time the guard conflicted with my schedule was for a few good football games.

Comment

If you want to go to College for Free (depending on your school's rates) and get paid to attend classes but lose some of your spare time this may be for you. Nothing in life is free so keep that in mind.

Comment

Working...
          X