Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuition Assistance without extending committment?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuition Assistance without extending committment?

Greetings all,

I am a brand new 2LT in the guard and have recently decided to pursue nursing and recieve my BSN. I got accepted into nursing school, however I was curious as to what options I have for paying my tutiin were.

If I read correctly, if I was to utilize the Mont. GI Bill I would have to extend my committment to thr guard for an additional 6 years. Is this true? What options for tutiin assistance are there without extending my committment?

I ask because eventually I would like to separate from the guard, and use my BSN to go active.

Thanks

Re: Tuition Assistance without extending committment?

First, you should contact your state's Specialty Officer Recruiter to discuss the benefits they offer (Stipends, Loan Repayments, etc) and how they relate to your goals.

Second, you have $4,500 per year in tuition assistance thruogh GoArmyEd. As an officer, you will incur a 4-year service obligation (from the end of your last class).

Can't answer your GI Bill questions without looking at your record in iMARC and/or DMDC. Call your state's ESO and ask him/her exactly what GI Bill entitlements you have (or are eligible for).

Comment

Since you just commissioned, you've already incurred a six year obligation, which qualifies you for the Montgomery GI Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by drcanlasjr View Post
        Greetings all,

I am a brand new 2LT in the guard and have recently decided to pursue nursing and recieve my BSN. I got accepted into nursing school, however I was curious as to what options I have for paying my tutiin were.

If I read correctly, if I was to utilize the Mont. GI Bill I would have to extend my committment to thr guard for an additional 6 years. Is this true? What options for tutiin assistance are there without extending my committment?

I ask because eventually I would like to separate from the guard, and use my BSN to go active.

Thanks
        It would be helpful to us if you disclosed your state. Some states have very specific education programs. There may be extra stuff you are eligible for, it varies state to state.

Comment

I am in the Alaska Army National Guard. I think I am, just confused as to the wording of the benefits, and what I qualify for.

LTC Ritchie, if I were to utilize my Montgomery GI bill would that mean I would need to serve a total of 12 years in the guard?

My ultimate end state would be to go active duty as a nurse a couple years from now (even if it is another service). I am just worried that should I use certain benefits to pay for my education, I will not be able to enter active duty as a nurse due to service commitments. In all honesty it's not a bad thing if I incur more time in service in the guard. But I just envision myself wanting to move around.

Comment

For the MGIB, you must have a six-year obligation, which you already have. Also, you can only draw the MGIB while you're serving. Thus, depending on how long it takes you to get throug school, you may have additional time to serve. You only get 36 months of full-time benefit.

Look at the posts in my signature file for some additional guidance.

Comment

Go here:::

http://www.akguard.com/index.php?opt...tion&Itemid=55

Comment

Here's what AR 621-5, Chapter 5-10:

"5–10. Service commitment
                a. All officers and commissioned warrant officers receiving TA for continuing education programs incur a two-year ADSO commencing upon the ending date of the last class for which TA was received. Selected Reserve officers and commissioned warrant officers incur a reserve duty service obligation (RDSO) and must have at least four years of Selected Reserve service remaining from the date of completion of the course for which TA was provided. Officers and commissioned warrant officers who are in AGR status and receive TA incur a two-year ADSO."

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                  Here's what AR 621-5, Chapter 5-10:

"5–10. Service commitment
                  a. All officers and commissioned warrant officers receiving TA for continuing education programs incur a two-year ADSO commencing upon the ending date of the last class for which TA was received. Selected Reserve officers and commissioned warrant officers incur a reserve duty service obligation (RDSO) and must have at least four years of Selected Reserve service remaining from the date of completion of the course for which TA was provided. Officers and commissioned warrant officers who are in AGR status and receive TA incur a two-year ADSO."
                  While this is true, it is relevant to point out this would not apply to state funded education benefits.

Comment

Thanks all.

So I now know that I must extend my service commitment to the guard, should I pull TA. However, (hypothetically speaking) if my nursing degree grants me a slot as an active duty nurse, and I still have 2 years of service for the guard, would a conditional release be required? Or would me transferring to AD be acceptable?

I know its hard to answer such a hypothetical question. I ask because I know a conditional release would be all but impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      While this is true, it is relevant to point out this would not apply to state funded education benefits.
                      Absolutely! Each state can and does dictate their own educational benefits. Great point!

Comment

Originally posted by drcanlasjr View Post
                        Thanks all.

So I now know that I must extend my service commitment to the guard, should I pull TA. However, (hypothetically speaking) if my nursing degree grants me a slot as an active duty nurse, and I still have 2 years of service for the guard, would a conditional release be required? Or would me transferring to AD be acceptable?

I know its hard to answer such a hypothetical question. I ask because I know a conditional release would be all but impossible.
                        Yes, you'd need a conditional release, to get out of your obligation prior to completion. Since it is conditional, you have no right to get it approved. You will very likely get a bill for the last two years of tuition assistance that you used.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                          Since you just commissioned, you've already incurred a six year obligation, which qualifies you for the Montgomery GI Bill.
                          iMARC will not pick up that you have a 6-year obligation. The GI Bill team at PEC will probably require a DA Form 5774-R to establish Chap 1606 eligibility. I don't know how GIMS will handle this situation.

The ultimate answer is to call your ESO and ask him/her direct questions.

Comment

Working...
                          X