X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of FTA-Multiple Degrees?

I am wrapping up a Masters in Teaching (9 credits left) and I had two question: Can FTA only be used for one degree or can it be split between different degrees if they are individually less than four years in length? If I were to use FTA towards wrapping up this degree, then am I no longer eligible to use it in the future towards another degree or certification (e.g. education administration)? Thanks.

Re: Use of FTA-Multiple Degrees?

FTA will only pay for one degree at each level (i.e., one AA, one BA, one MA), and nothing towards PhD. If you already have a degree at one level, FTA won't pay for one below it, or another at the same level (even if they didn't pay for the first one). Thus, once FTA pays for your current degree, you're done with FTA. You may be able to apply FTA towards a JD or MD, since those are considered in a different category than a master's or PhD, although that doesn't sound like your course of action.

Your State TA may have more flexibility (most do), so look into that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      Thus, once FTA pays for your current degree, you're done with FTA. You may be able to apply FTA towards a JD or MD, since those are considered in a different category than a master's or PhD, although that doesn't sound like your course of action.

Will she have to re-enlist to get another degree paid for by FTA, Colonel? It was my understanding that you can only get one degree paid for per contract?

Comment

Additional certification to maintain teaching credentials are a different animal than JD or MD.

Contact your ESO. Reference AR 621-5, para 6-7(c): "Off-duty courses leading to a state education credential (teaching, administration or supervision, and supportservices) as part of New Careers in Education (NCE) regardless of the degree level the soldier has attained.".

'Course you're still limited to 45 hours of graduate-level courses.

Comment

FTA will only pay for one degree at each level (i.e., one AA, one BA, one MA), and nothing towards PhD. If you already have a degree at one level, FTA won't pay for one below it, or another at the same level (even if they didn't pay for the first one). Thus, once FTA pays for your current degree, you're done with FTA. You may be able to apply FTA towards a JD or MD, since those are considered in a different category than a master's or PhD, although that doesn't sound like your course of action.

The work around to this is to change your degree program before completing the last class. Pay for the last class out of pocket, change your degree program, and you won't get any give back from goarmyed for getting a second masters.

Comment

My understanding is that you can use FTA for a second degree "If" that degree will end in some sort of credential. One degree and one credential.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              Will she have to re-enlist to get another degree paid for by FTA, Colonel? It was my understanding that you can only get one degree paid for per contract?
              No, that's not relevant for FTA.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen and ladies(?). All your posts have been helpful in answering my question. I will now save my FTA towards a future educational certification as mentioned in AR 621-5, para 6-7(c). No point in getting only $2250 paid for my current degree when I can use more of it towards an administrator's certification in the future. Given this is all theoretical in that I still have a whole lot of Army training to go to (BCT, OCS, and IBOLC-hopefully I will like Benning, haha) and some years of teaching before I can even apply to an administrators program. Thanks again!

Comment

Did you read my post? One degree and one credential.
                  Last edited by Chaplain4me; May 30th, 2012, 12:48 PM.

Comment

No, that's not relevant for FTA.
                    Ok, thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                      Did you read my post? One degree and one credential.
                      Sir, my apologies. I must have missed the one degree and one credential part. I will look into setting up payments towards my last 9 credits of my masters and then also towards my future administrators program, resulting in a credential. Do you happen to know where I may find this information in writing so that I may cite it when talking to my ESO if there are any problems? Thanks again!

Comment

goarmyed.com

It may not be worth it. You may just want to pay for that out of pocket.

I would save my FTA to pay for a full degree.
                        Last edited by Chaplain4me; June 4th, 2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X