X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will the G.I. Bill pay for?

Hey guys I had an off the wall question to ask. I'm currently talking to my girlfriend's parents about marrying her and one point they're wondering is who is going to finish paying for her school. By the time we'd be married she'd have finished her first year of college and about to start her second. I'd begin my first year at that point.
    The major question I'm wondering is how far will my G.I. Bill work? Will it help both of us? I come from a rather poor family so I will have the FAFSA to cover most of my schooling as well as numerous academic, service, and leadership scholarships. If the remainder of money I need for schooling is small would I have money to go to hers? And is there any housing assistance that I could get since we couldn't live on campus together? Its just a nagging question and I'd like to see a some valid information here. If you could supply links to verify your answers it would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

Re: Who will the G.I. Bill pay for?

The only way you would be able to transfer your GI Bill to her would if you deployed and then became eligible for the post 911 GI Bill. Also, there is no housing assistance unless you are on active duty orders at which point you may be eligible for housing allowance.

Is her family currently paying for her school? If so, wouldn't it be wise to let them continue to pay for her school and marry her after graduating?

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
      The only way you would be able to transfer your GI Bill to her would if you deployed and then became eligible for the post 911 GI Bill. Also, there is no housing assistance unless you are on active duty orders at which point you may be eligible for housing allowance.

Is her family currently paying for her school? If so, wouldn't it be wise to let them continue to pay for her school and marry her after graduating?
      Of course the OP could always go the other route.

Pay for his gf/wife's education then have her divorce him after she graduates.

Her parents sound like gold-diggers.

Comment

I wouldn't say they are gold diggers neccessarily. If my daughter was getting married before she finished college, I would stop paying for her schooling after she got married.

Comment

Originally posted by Rfreemanva View Post
          Hey guys I had an off the wall question to ask. I'm currently talking to my girlfriend's parents about marrying her and one point they're wondering is who is going to finish paying for her school. By the time we'd be married she'd have finished her first year of college and about to start her second. I'd begin my first year at that point.
          The major question I'm wondering is how far will my G.I. Bill work? Will it help both of us? I come from a rather poor family so I will have the FAFSA to cover most of my schooling as well as numerous academic, service, and leadership scholarships. If the remainder of money I need for schooling is small would I have money to go to hers? And is there any housing assistance that I could get since we couldn't live on campus together? Its just a nagging question and I'd like to see a some valid information here. If you could supply links to verify your answers it would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.
          The way the OP makes it sound... is that the parents are suggesting he pay for it.
          I wouldn't say they are gold diggers neccessarily. If my daughter was getting married before she finished college, I would stop paying for her schooling after she got married.

Comment

Well I completely understand her parents reasoning for stop paying for it, why do so if she's no longer your dependent? I'm just trying to find the best way of paying for it. If my G.I. Bill won't cover hers then what are some other options for paying for it? We're both dead set on doing this now I just have to convince her parents that I can take care of her.

Comment

If someone asked to marry my daughter while she is still in school, I would suggest that he pay for it as well.

Comment

If someone asked to marry my daughter while she is still in school, I would suggest that he pay for it as well.
                See I feel like we're getting off the point here. I'm willing to pay for it, I just have to find out how. I don't think they're gold diggers they just have four kids and are putting two through college (including her) so taking that load off would be nice. I just want to know if yal have any advice on paying for it. Like I said I have to pay for school as well as housing so I didn't know what I could do for those.

Comment

My advice on paying for it is to wait on getting married and let them continue to pay. Love will still be there in 4 years and you should be in a much better place to take care of her in 4 years as well.

Comment

That's what I'm kinda starting to think. Like I said we're both really reluctant to wait the four years longer but if we have to we will. I'll keep researching but if anyone finds anything in the meantime I'd be very thankful.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                      Of course the OP could always go the other route.

Pay for his gf/wife's education then have her divorce him after she graduates.
                      Sadly, I have seen many veterans come into my civilian job at Veterans Services that this has happened to. But HR NCO also makes a good point that is they are 'grown up' enough to be entering into marriage, with that comes bearing their own financial burdens. I agree that they should marry after college graduation, but I also have teens and there is no reasoning with them sometimes. (I refer you to the OP's comment of being 'deadset' on this life choice.

What I would suggest, if this were my son, that if he is willing to 'let' FAFSA cover the cost (i.e. federal loans), that the newlyweds opt for FAFSA to cover the girl's education and the OP should utilize the available tuition assitance for himself, as he said he would only just be starting college.

The financial burden would be 'deferred' until after graduation AND he would be less likely to be screwed over in the event of their young marriage dissolving prematurely. If covered by FAFSA (federal loans), she would be responsible for paying them off should she choose to divorce him, but as I said she would also have the ability to GO to school and have the cost deferred until she finished.

If their union outlasts the war and a possible deployment for the OP, than he can always opt to give her the GI Bill if she chooses to attend grad school, etc. or even give it to a child they may have in the future.

Comment

Wow. That's a lot. I didn't even think of that. haha I know I'm stubborn and thanks a lot for the advice there, that's another line of research to begin. Thanks for the lead.

Comment

I would advise against student loans, easy money up front that you're paying back for many years to come.

Comment

I would advise against student loans, easy money up front that you're paying back for many years to come.
                            I've heard that with my parents financial situation that I can get plenty of grants and very low interest government loans, is that really that bad of an idea?

Comment

I agree completely, but sometimes it is the only avenue for a chance to attend college. I would have preferred to not have used loans, but as a single mother it was my only option and since my recruiter left my request for SLRP out of my contract, it is now my $30,000 bill.

So I agree with you, but I was just trying to give him all possible options. Hopefully the OP realizes the loans must be paid BACK

Comment

Working...
                              X