Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will the G.I. Bill pay for?

Originally posted by Rfreemanva View Post
    I've heard that with my parents financial situation that I can get plenty of grants and very low interest government loans, is that really that bad of an idea?
    You shouldn't need loans, you've got the guard. Take all the grants and scholarships you can get though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
      Hopefully the OP realizes the loans must be paid BACK
      Haha I realize that. I'm going to join the ROTC program and go for a commissioning and eventually go JAG so I hope that will assist in covering it.

Comment

I've heard that with my parents financial situation that I can get plenty of grants and very low interest government loans, is that really that bad of an idea?
        You can utilize your parents financial situation is they are still claiming you as a dependant but once you are married, unless you and your bride live in their house and they support you, I don't see how their financial situation would affect your loans.

Once you are married and move out, their situation will have little bearing....if memory serves.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
          You shouldn't need loans, you've got the guard. Take all the grants and scholarships you can get though.
          Not for me though, some that I could use for her.

And I know that to qualify for some FAFSA loans and grants it would be based on them. I'd be a dependent at my time of application but not when I'd actually make use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
            +1,000,000

Comment

Not for me though, some that I could use for her.
              It was already explained (I think) that you cannot transfer your GI Bill to a dependant until you deploy and are eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. The Tuition Assistance is for you to use and I do not believe that in transferrable.

Why is she not applying for her own grants and scholarships?? (aside from applying for her own loans, if you choose to go that route)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                What I would suggest, if this were my son, that if he is willing to 'let' FAFSA cover the cost (i.e. federal loans), that the newlyweds opt for FAFSA to cover the girl's education and the OP should utilize the available tuition assitance for himself, as he said he would only just be starting college.
                See that threw me off. I meant FAFSA not G.I. I know she wouldn't qualify for nearly as many loans and grants as I would.

Comment

See that threw me off. I meant FAFSA not G.I. I know she wouldn't qualify for nearly as many loans and grants as I would.
                  Based on what? FAFSA would be going off of your income as a married couple. Like I said, you cannot necessarily draw huge loans based on your parent's financial situation if you are MARRIED and not living with them. You would no longer be their dependant.

Comment

Ok. I've scheduled a meeting with my financial aid counselor and am hoping to bring this type of stuff to the discussion. Is there any other pieces of advice? What you've given me already is greatly appreciated.

Comment

I'd be a dependent at my time of application but not when I'd actually make use of it.
                      You should be able to amend your FAFSA once you get married. Also, your wife's FAFSA will change as well and will be based on your combined income. This will mean you should both get about the same amount of opportunity to get grants and loans. One thing to consider is that you are likely to qualify for more financial aid if you are married with a low income than if you are single, as your cost of living is expected to be higher.

When considering timing, you might find it helpful to wait to get married until you are enlisted and are able to receive financial benefits for yourself. Then, your wife can continue her education as you both can afford it or within the limits of any awarded financial aid she may receive. Perhaps her working on her own and being a part time student may help both of you accomplish your goals without getting into too much debt.

Lastly, getting into debt is not a decision to take lightly, but student loans are there for a reason and are useful if you need them. On the other hand, people have attended college without student loans by sacrificing and working hard. Ultimately, the decision will be yours. Just borrow responsibly if you do.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Two more things for you to consider. 1. She DOES qualify for "free" CLEP testing as a military dependant.
                        2. Has she ever considered membership in the National Guard?

Comment

Clep? I have no idea what that is; please enlighten me. Getting her to join military of any sort is a definate no go.

Comment

CLEP is basically just testing out of a class. So if she is really good at english or math or some other basic course, she could just take the test and then still receive full credit for the class. I'm not really even that good at english, but I passed the CLEP and received 6 credits for taking a 1 hour test.

Comment

I see. Well I think I have a general idea of what I'm going to do. I think I'll just G.I. Bill for me and pay for her 2nd year from both of our savings. When the next year comes around we can apply for FAFSA grants and such for her and take out a loan if absolutely necessary.

Comment

I see. Well I think I have a general idea of what I'm going to do. I think I'll just G.I. Bill for me and pay for her 2nd year from both of our savings. When the next year comes around we can apply for FAFSA grants and such for her and take out a loan if absolutely necessary.
                                Sounds like a good plan! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X