X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique situation. SMP/ROTC question

Got a strange situation that I need some insight into. I have a bachelors degree in Finance. I am going back to school through a cohort program at a local community college to get another undergraduate degree in Engineering. I'd really like to do ROTC and the NG recruiter said I could participate through a local university (the community college has a cross-town agreement with this university) and do the 2-yr program (I'd attend LTC this summer, then enroll in the advanced course this fall). I talked with the campus rep at the local university and he said I'd have to be a full time student at his university to commission. Is is possible for me to do the advanced course while at the community college since I've already got a bachelors degree?

Re: Unique situation. SMP/ROTC question

Originally posted by jenkinrj51 View Post
    Got a strange situation that I need some insight into. I have a bachelors degree in Finance. I am going back to school through a cohort program at a local community college to get another undergraduate degree in Engineering. I'd really like to do ROTC and the NG recruiter said I could participate through a local university (the community college has a cross-town agreement with this university) and do the 2-yr program (I'd attend LTC this summer, then enroll in the advanced course this fall). I talked with the campus rep at the local university and he said I'd have to be a full time student at his university to commission. Is is possible for me to do the advanced course while at the community college since I've already got a bachelors degree?
    The cohort program most likely works with Freshman and Sophomore classes (MSI and MSII). You'll need to participate in MSIII and MSIV classes in order to commission. What you can try to do is enroll in your Junior and Senior Mil Sci classes at the ROTC university, while taking your degree-producing classes at the local college. The down-side to this is that you'll have to drive to the university 5 times a week (or more), for PT, class, lab, etc.

It sounds difficult, but I can tell you it's not that bad. I did it for two years, and now that I'm commissioned, I feel it was worth it. Yeah, I had to wake up 30 minutes before my peers for PT, but I got used to it and finished. See if they'll allow that. If they already have a program in place, I don't see why they wouldn't let you do that.

Comment

It's doable. That is actually a fairly common arrangement. But like the other LT said, you are going to have 2 classes plus PT, FTX, etc to deal with...

Comment

What makes you more interested in ROTC rather than just going to OCS as you already have your degree?

Comment

Probably the same reason I did. I came into the NG to do OCS, but then learned that by doing ROTC, I get a free MS degree. Instead of 18 mos of OCS, I had 2 school years of ROTC. Plus Engineering is a costly degree. If the NG can pay for it, why not?

Comment

I hear you LT. But the OP wouldn't seemingly be "cashing" in on ROTC educational specific benefits would he?

Comment

There's nothing wrong with using benefits that you've earned. If the OP is going to serve with honor, there's nothing wrong with earning a degree out of it. Now, if he ends up being a complete turd, then I think Uncle Sam needs to take it out of his taxes for the next 10 years...

Sides, NG needs Engineers and Nurses.

Comment

No, you misunderstood my question. We were discussing the advantages of OCS vs ROTC in this situation. If he attended ROTC under a cooperative agreement between schools, what education benefit would he be recieving?

Comment

No, you misunderstood my question. We were discussing the advantages of OCS vs ROTC in this situation. If he attended ROTC under a cooperative agreement between schools, what education benefit would he be recieving?

I will agree that we could use some civil engineers. While it's not required for branch qualification, having a background in CE or project management is very very helpful. There is not a large call nor need for ANC Officers in the ARNG.

Comment

Roger.

ROTC pays a stipend of 450 - 500 a month for MSIII and MSIV year in addition to Drill Pay. For school, State TA would cover his tuition costs (well, in Texas at least). And a large percentage of state schools throw out book stipends too. Now, if he is awarded a GRFD contract, then everything is paid. We had students from TWU and TCCC who had the ROTC classes with us at UNT. They made out like bandits.

In my situation, I ended up shelling out about $200 a semester for school. But heck, half a month's stipend covered that. I walked out with a commission and a MS degree.... and no school debt.

Comment

I appreciate all the good info. To answer the question about why I'm interested in doing SMP/ROTC vs OCS; it is simply a time issue. I am already going back to school. I work on an industrial government site, and the engineering degree will advance my career as the site begins updates for its future missions. If I did state OCS, I've got to spend at least 3.5 months out of work to attend BCT and AIT. As a subcontractor, rule #1 is to not walk away from the contract you're working on for any length of time. However, my employer is willing to work with my school schedule. Doing SMP/ROTC would allow me to accomplish all my objectives (military service, completion of second degree, limited time away from work). I understand I will be away for a month in the summer for LTC and another 4-6 weeks for LDAC the following summer, but it's easier since it's somewhat broken up.

Comment

So if I can commission through the cross town agreement, what's my next step? Who do I need to talk with at the university (who hosts the ROTC program) to approve this? The representative I spoke with was a university employee (not Army or ROTC commander), and he admitted he'd not done this job very long. Who is the decision maker that would approve my acceptance into the program?

Comment

Those are all good answers. I would do the same thing I think. There is an accessions officer at ROTC. Just walk in and ask for him/her. Guard membership is a separate issue. I have an SMP Cadet who currently shadows me that did essentially the same thing. He never went to BCT. He is an MS2 with a GRFD Scholorship. It seems to be workiing nicely for him.

Comment

Originally posted by jenkinrj51 View Post
                            So if I can commission through the cross town agreement, what's my next step? Who do I need to talk with at the university (who hosts the ROTC program) to approve this? The representative I spoke with was a university employee (not Army or ROTC commander), and he admitted he'd not done this job very long. Who is the decision maker that would approve my acceptance into the program?
                            What Mongoose said. Ask for the ROO. Everybody should know who you're talking about. Really, if you call whatever number is listed for the ROTC program, whoever answers should be able to direct you to the right place. Good luck.

Comment

As far as ROTC benefits the ROTC program I am enrolling in in January (also doing the SMP program, shipping this summer to basic) offers to either pay your tuition (up to something like $4,200/year) OR room and board money (same amount of $). Not sure if all ROTC programs do this though.

Your best resource for the SMP program and ROTC in general will be your ROTC recruiter at the college because he knows all the facts whereas the recruiter for the guard wont know every answer you will have since guard recruiters deal with much more than just SMP cadets.

Comment

Working...
                              X