Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does SLRP need to be in my enlistment contract?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does SLRP need to be in my enlistment contract?

I just contracted on Tuesday. I brought all of my loan documents from school for SLRP, which my recruiter told me I qualified for. While I was actually setting up my contract, the National Guard Liason told me that SLRP does not need to be in the contract because, like the GI Bill, everyone can access it. I'm starting to worry that isn't the case though, because I'm reading up more on the program to see how I do it. Did I just leave all of my loan repayment money on the table, or do I actually get it without it being in my contract? And if it did have to be in my contract, why did both my recruiter and the NG Liason tell me otherwise? Also, if they specifically told me that wasn't able to be in the contract, what recourse do I have?

Re: Does SLRP need to be in my enlistment contract?

From what I was told when I went down to MEPS to sign, yes it does. I kind of had the opposite experience as you. My recruiter said it did not have to be in my contract because as long as you sign for 6 years its automatic.....and that it would all be taken care of during reception when I started BCT, so thats who I needed to bring my paperwork to. When I returned to MEPS to sign, somehow the Sgt who was going over all the paperwork with me started talking about the GI Bill and mentioned SLRP. Long story short, he sent a couple of nasty-grams to my recruiter for screwing it up and I had to leave and come back later on that day while they re-wrote my contract to include the SLRP. He was really, really upset and made it seem like this is general knowledge that all recruiters should know. If it is not in your contract you do not get it.

As for recourse, hopefully one of the seasoned veterans around here can help you, but I'm not sure there is much you can do now that you have signed.

Comment

You would need to sign a contract in order to receive SLRP. SLRP is difficult to receive unless you enlist into a MOS that is consider Critical. Your loans may have qualified for the program but you choice of MOS may have restricted you from receiving this. I would talk to the recruiter and see what can be done. If the recruiter gives you the cold shoulder, I would then go to his team leader. Look in your iPERM record and see if you see a document named Student Loan Repayment Program or look on your DD 4 Series and see if Annex L is listed on that. If you don't find any of those 2, then you don't have the program. Currently, the incentive policy allows you to extend for it at anytime during your contract if you have completed all training but I heard that is changing soon.

Comment

Originally posted by sb726402 View Post
        I just contracted on Tuesday. I brought all of my loan documents from school for SLRP, which my recruiter told me I qualified for. While I was actually setting up my contract, the National Guard Liason told me that SLRP does not need to be in the contract because, like the GI Bill, everyone can access it. I'm starting to worry that isn't the case though, because I'm reading up more on the program to see how I do it. Did I just leave all of my loan repayment money on the table, or do I actually get it without it being in my contract? And if it did have to be in my contract, why did both my recruiter and the NG Liason tell me otherwise? Also, if they specifically told me that wasn't able to be in the contract, what recourse do I have?
        SLRP must be in the contract in writing to the point it adds three pieces of paper to your contract. If it is not in there, you are in the National Guard....but you do not have SLRP. End of Story.

Comment

On the plus side, you can extend at any time to get the SLRP. So you could sign a new 6 year contract to get the SLRP. Don't worry, it wouldnt be 6 years added to your first contract, it would be 6 years added to the day you signed it. If you just joined a month ago, that would give you six years and a month at your new ETS.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
            On the plus side, you can extend at any time to get the SLRP. So you could sign a new 6 year contract to get the SLRP. Don't worry, it wouldnt be 6 years added to your first contract, it would be 6 years added to the day you signed it. If you just joined a month ago, that would give you six years and a month at your new ETS.
            Really?? Does this work for Officers, too?

Hey, it can't hurt to ask, right?

Comment

I'm in the same boat as the OP. No, SLRP in my contract. So, it's possible to sign a new contract even though I just signed one? I did ask my recruiter about this but he didn't know the answer and is looking into it.

Also, can you get both SLRP and the G.I. Bill in the same contract?

Thanks so much and sorry for the slight thread jack.

Comment

Yes, you can sign a new one even if you just enlisted. I had a situation like this come up at my rsp and got the info straight from the state education section.

Comment

Originally posted by sb726402 View Post
                  Check your paperwork for the Student Loan Repayment Program Addendum DA Form 5261-4-R, which would need to be included in your enlistment paperwork. If you are unable to find this, you can also contact your Officer Strength Manager or Education Services Officer (ESO) with further questions. Here is a link to get the contact information for your state's ESO http://www.nationalguard.com/life/ed...ation-programs

Comment

The AR 601-210 is the "Army wide recruiting regulation." It can get rather confusing. As opposed to getting off into the weeds, the important thing to remember is that if it is not in your contract, it does not exist. @sb72406 I would verify it isn't in your contract by reviewing your 1966 series (4-6 pages) on the page with all the writing on it, see if Annex L is listed. Annex L will be your Student Loan Repayment contract. It will have information listed regarding your payments and what the government will/will not repay on your behalf. My suggestion to you if it is not in your contract is to contact your Education Service Office in your state and explain your situation. They will likely refer you to someone who will rectify your situation or redirect you to someone who can help you this early in your enlistment.

Comment

Working...
                    X