Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer to IRR prior to MSO (hardship) and ROTC Scholarship

Hi,

I am a 1LT and I have served in the National Guard Since 2007. I commissioned in July 2008 and Deployed 2009-2010. Recently my husband received and cancer diagnosis and I have been struggling with some health issues of my own. I am requesting that I be transferred to the IRR because I was told that the ING is no longer an option for me.

I am concerned that I will have to repay my ROTC (2 year) scholarship. This financial burden will be too much with medical bills, so I would prefer to know ahead of time if this is an issue. Everyone I ask says look at my ROTC contract. My contract doesn't say anything about IRR, it just says that I can't resign my commission. I don't plan to and I hope that I can come back.

The only contract I have with the national guard says four years of active drilling. I have even been told to stop asking about it, but I can't afford to be surprised with this financial burden.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Christen

Re: Transfer to IRR prior to MSO (hardship) and ROTC Scholarship

Originally posted by Christen View Post
    Hi,

I am a 1LT and I have served in the National Guard Since 2007. I commissioned in July 2008 and Deployed 2009-2010. Recently my husband received and cancer diagnosis and I have been struggling with some health issues of my own. I am requesting that I be transferred to the IRR because I was told that the ING is no longer an option for me.

I am concerned that I will have to repay my ROTC (2 year) scholarship. This financial burden will be too much with medical bills, so I would prefer to know ahead of time if this is an issue. Everyone I ask says look at my ROTC contract. My contract doesn't say anything about IRR, it just says that I can't resign my commission. I don't plan to and I hope that I can come back.

The only contract I have with the national guard says four years of active drilling. I have even been told to stop asking about it, but I can't afford to be surprised with this financial burden.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Christen

Just to be clear, you are no longer IN the ROTC program, correct? From what I'm seeing in the ROTC reg (AR 145_1), your scholarship requirements only apply if you're still enrolled in the program. If that's the case, then you can discharge from the military due to hardship while you are still in ROTC.

However, based on your comments above, you are already an Officer. As an Officer, you can request to be placed into the IRR for hardship without adversely affecting your career. I would recommend taking a look at AR 140-10 for more details.

Overall, I'm in agreement with the advice you've received previously in that, if your contract does not specifically stipulate, you shouldn't have to pay back the scholarship if you enter the IRR.

Comment

Re: Transfer to IRR prior to MSO (hardship) and ROTC Scholarship

Given the legal complexities of your situation, I do not recommend that you base your life decisions solely on advice that you receive on this forum. Your problem exceeds the normal parameters, and one shouldn't expect a definitive ruling here.

Comment

Working...
      X