X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Credits

In higher education in the United States, academic terms are divided into either quarters or semesters, with quarter hours typically being weighted with less credit than semester hours. There are advantages and disadvantages to each academic system. There are also complicating factors, such as when a student needs to transfer hours from one academic system to the other.

For all regulatory and practical purposes the United States Army, when attending to the subject of collegiate credit speaks in terms of semester hours.

More specifically, let’s say a student is attending an open enrollment community college, where he attends lower level undergraduate classes and the school uses the quarter hour system. Hypothetically he believes he is, oh, half way to having the minimum 90 college credits the Army requires for Officer Candidates to attend an AOCS or traditional program. The 45 quarter hours he “has”, is equivalent to only 30 semester hours, or roughly one (1) year of college.

So, in our example, the student actually isn’t “half-way there”, but a mere 1/3 of the way there.

Many external observers might expect a student who attends a quarter system institution to understand the credit system used in their own school!

Recent studies have shown, this is absolutely NOT the case! Many poorer performing students aren’t even remotely aware that there is a difference between quarter and semester hours!

Many students also fail math and stuff like that.

Last edited by Mongoose772; May 9th, 2012, 11:17 PM.

Re: College Credits

Umm....did I miss something Sir? This seems a bit random.

Comment

ummmm, Question mark??? What's going on here... lol

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
        nothing would make my day more than LT trolling FE level.. edit and all

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
          ummmm, Question mark??? What's going on here... lol
          Chinese Nordic Pagans, that's what!

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
            I believe this is in regards to the outlandish PresentSchmuck aka FutureEngineer on his thread that he is halfway there to OCS; hence his new signature of halfway there to IOBLC.

It is all in fun and I like to goof with him but we all realize that he is far from unique and as everyone already knows; our service and other branches already has one of these in every unit. There are similar to the court jesters of Old England.

Comment

+1.

Every unit I've seen or been to has one. And most never make it past E-4.

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
                nothing would make my day more than LT trolling FE level.. edit and all
                Brian nailed it.

Since the original post was closed I was compelled to comment regarding the insanity elsewhere!

Moderators please feel free to close this post at your leisure, its purpose is fullfilled.

Comment

Working...
                X