X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few questions

I'm currently using my GI Bill and TA to get my bachelors degree. I graduate in December and I'd like to either get my masters or transfer my benefits to my wife so she can get her masters.

Can I continue to use my GI BILL and TA for a masters?
    If I decide to, can I transfer them to my wife for her masters?

I have 4 years left on my contract.
    I was married to me wife before enlisting.
    I will have only used TA and GI BILL for a year and a half when I graduate.
    Last edited by Nexrus; April 16th, 2012, 08:14 PM.

Re: Few questions

I am not positive, but I dont think you can transfer a 1606 gi bill to family, only the post-9/11. You should still be able to use them for your masters though, as long as the school you are getting it from is covered by the new FTA rules and has signed whatever the notice of eligibility is. No matter what the deal with the FTA is though, the GI and State TA should still be eligible for you

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
      I am not positive, but I dont think you can transfer a 1606 gi bill to family, only the post-9/11. You should still be able to use them for your masters though, as long as the school you are getting it from is covered by the new FTA rules and has signed whatever the notice of eligibility is. No matter what the deal with the FTA is though, the GI and State TA should still be eligible for you
      Honestly, I don't remember which GI BILL I have... I think it's the post 9/11

Thanks for the help.

Comment

quick way to find out.. have you been deployed? if yes, than most likely you have the post 9/11. another way of checking is.. do you make 345 dollars a month, or thousands of dollars a month. the better deal is the 9/11 one. and in that case, then yes, you can transfer the benefits to spouse/dependents

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
          quick way to find out.. have you been deployed? if yes, than most likely you have the post 9/11. another way of checking is.. do you make 345 dollars a month, or thousands of dollars a month. the better deal is the 9/11 one. and in that case, then yes, you can transfer the benefits to spouse/dependents
          Brian, no offense is intended when I say this is horrible advice. The way to "find out" what GI Bill benefits you are recieving or qualify for is not by determining the relative size of your monthly benefit. Additionally, many servicemembers qualify for multiple chapters of the GI Bill simultaneously and picking which chapter would be the most judicious use of benefit is based on the individual's academic plans.

In any event, I will attempt to answer this question.

If you have NOT been deployed as part of a GWOT contingency operation, or been on some form of active duty other than for training, you only qualify for The Selected Reserve Mongomery GI BIll (Chapter 1606). Like Brian elloquently mentioned, that's typically a "smaller" amount per month. You can use your remaining benefit towards your Master's degree. However, Chapter 1606 is not transferable to a dependant, nor can you maintain eligibility once you leave active drilling status.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            Brian, no offense is intended when I say this is horrible advice. The way to "find out" what GI Bill benefits you are recieving or qualify for is not by determining the relative size of your monthly benefit. Additionally, many servicemembers qualify for multiple chapters of the GI Bill simultaneously and picking which chapter would be the most judicious use of benefit is based on the individual's academic plans.

In any event, I will attempt to answer this question.

If you have NOT been deployed as part of a GWOT contingency operation, or been on some form of active duty other than for training, you only qualify for The Selected Reserve Mongomery GI BIll (Chapter 1606). Like Brian elloquently mentioned, that's typically a "smaller" amount per month. You can use your remaining benefit towards your Master's degree. However, Chapter 1606 is not transferable to a dependant, nor can you maintain eligibility once you leave active drilling status.
            +1

do what the LT says. it was late , I didnt feel like looking for specific numbers and what not haha. I just knew that the easiest way of telling if you had 1606 or not was if you made 345 or more than 345. but your way is much more official

Comment

Working...
            X