X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Bill questions about initial entry training

I started basic training Nov. 22 2010. I am still in AIT and will graduate April 13th 2012 (52 week course). I understand that you are not eligible for the post 9/11 GI Bill as training does not count towards it. However on Nov. 22 2011, my status in AKO went to Active Duty, where it was listed as National Guard before that. So I am curious if the time from Nov. 2011 until April 2012 would count towards active duty time that would go towards the post 9/11 GI Bill for the at least 90 days active for 40% of the benefits.

Or am I only eligible for the MGIB-SR and that's all after I'm finished with my training?

Re: GI Bill questions about initial entry training

Originally posted by jred68k View Post
    I started basic training Nov. 22 2010. I am still in AIT and will graduate April 13th 2012 (52 week course). I understand that you are not eligible for the post 9/11 GI Bill as training does not count towards it. However on Nov. 22 2011, my status in AKO went to Active Duty, where it was listed as National Guard before that. So I am curious if the time from Nov. 2011 until April 2012 would count towards active duty time that would go towards the post 9/11 GI Bill for the at least 90 days active for 40% of the benefits.

Or am I only eligible for the MGIB-SR and that's all after I'm finished with my training?
    No. While your status is shown correctly because you are on active duty, that type of active duty is not included for the benefit. If you were to apply to the VA with the DD-214 you will get from this training, it will indicate Active Duty for Training, hence making you ineligible.

Comment

Working...
    X