X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-state Tuition for Out-of-State NG

This question pertains to undergraduate, graduate, or professional programs - in my case, professional programs, but I think the question could be helpful for any potential college student.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of schools that allow drilling NG soldiers in-state tuition, even if they are an out-of-state resident? For example, if a person is a member of, say, Wisconsin's national guard, but is seeking to attend school in another state, such as Arizona. Establishing residency to qualify for in-state tuition is obviously difficult. However, if that person was to IST to an Arizona unit, not establish residency, could that person receive the in-state tuition rate?

So, in essence, I guess I am either hoping to find a comprehensive list of schools/states that allow this, or asking whether or not ALL schools/states allow something similar. It would be excellent if a person who has experience/knowledge of this could respond because I think this is something that many people could take advantage of - especially those who reside in state's that do not offer excellent tuition assistance/waivers for NG members.

Re: In-state Tuition for Out-of-State NG

......................deleted. Duplicate post.
    Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; January 22nd, 2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zacha44 View Post
      This question pertains to undergraduate, graduate, or professional programs - in my case, professional programs, but I think the question could be helpful for any potential college student.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of schools that allow drilling NG soldiers in-state tuition, even if they are an out-of-state resident? For example, if a person is a member of, say, Wisconsin's national guard, but is seeking to attend school in another state, such as Arizona. Establishing residency to qualify for in-state tuition is obviously difficult. However, if that person was to IST to an Arizona unit, not establish residency, could that person receive the in-state tuition rate?

So, in essence, I guess I am either hoping to find a comprehensive list of schools/states that allow this, or asking whether or not ALL schools/states allow something similar. It would be excellent if a person who has experience/knowledge of this could respond because I think this is something that many people could take advantage of - especially those who reside in state's that do not offer excellent tuition assistance/waivers for NG members.
      There is not a comprehensive list, however I have some insight. There are generally three ways this can occur:

1. State law allows for in state tuition or no tuition for guard members regardless of residency.

2. The individual school allows for some type of Military duty waiver based of your unit location.

3. The Guard pays X amount of dollars combined with state Tuition Assitance and Federal TA and you make the bill.

Off the top of my head the state that has the best education program hands down is NJ. They have a state law allowing Guardsman to attend state schools 100% free. There doesn't seem to be any limit to the benefit. I have freinds there with multiple degrees.

Next up is Illinois. After a year of service you get a four year grant for free school to use for a degree at any level..Master, PHD.

I know TX has a pretty lucrative State TA.

I would call the schools Veteran Office and Guard Education Office in the state and collect the information specifically for the locations that you are in, and make your decision there.

Comment

...........deleted.
        Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; January 22nd, 2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Lets add CT to the top three:

http://www.ct.edu/students/veterans/

Comment

Working...
          X