X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing both 1606 and 1607?

Is it possible to stack benefits from both chapters 1606 and 1607? Or can the two not be combined in any way? I'm unfamiliar with the specifics on these, but when I went over the VA's website on these programs, I thought surely it was too good to be true.

Re: Drawing both 1606 and 1607?

Originally posted by Soldat View Post
    Is it possible to stack benefits from both chapters 1606 and 1607? Or can the two not be combined in any way? I'm unfamiliar with the specifics on these, but when I went over the VA's website on these programs, I thought surely it was too good to be true.
    Yes and no. They cannot be combined in terms o simoultaneous use. However if you are eligble for any two chaters of GI Bill you can maximize out the 36 months of one chapter and be eligble for an additional 12 months of another. All in all you cannot exceed 48 months of benefits.

I caution you however in using anything but the post 9/11 GI Bill. Those benfits are far more lucrative and even if you are not elible yet, if your unit is deploying any time in the near future it may be beneficial to draw benefits at a later date for future schooling. Just food for thought.

Comment

Paralegal,

That depends, really. If OP is going to an "expensive" school, Chap 33 is probably they way to go.

On the other hand, going to a school that costs less than $250/credit hour in an area where E5 (with dependents) BAH is less than $885 makes TA/Chap 1607 more attractive.

Can't just make a blanket statement that Chap 33 is the best, period.

Comment

Originally posted by 91YJ View Post
        Paralegal,

That depends, really. If OP is going to an "expensive" school, Chap 33 is probably they way to go.

On the other hand, going to a school that costs less than $250/credit hour in an area where E5 (with dependents) BAH is less than $885 makes TA/Chap 1607 more attractive.

Can't just make a blanket statement that Chap 33 is the best, period.
        Oh OK..I see. Here is a link to 2011 BAH rates:

http://images.military.com//ContentF...dependents.pdf

Please locate the city with E-5 BAH w/dependants that is less then 885 that also has a School that charges 250 a credit hour or less.

Since you are already going to be unable to back that statement up, I will let you off the hook for the 1,000 book stipend that is included in the post 9/11 Bill and is not included in 1607.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post

http://images.military.com//ContentF...dependents.pdf

Please locate the city with E-5 BAH w/dependants that is less then 885 that also has a School that charges 250 a credit hour or less.

Since you are already going to be unable to back that statement up, I will let you off the hook for the 1,000 book stipend that is included in the post 9/11 Bill and is not included in 1607.
          By Fort McClellan, Alabama and here is the list of online colleges

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post

Fort McClellan, Alabama and here is the list of colleges that meets the 250 a credit hour or less

http://brainz.org/most-affordable-colleges-online/

Seriously, if you are not eligible for the Post 9/11 (which I agree is great); then I would not concern yourself with it. My cousin last year in the Guard was this year and he finally deployed to Afghanistana and returning soon. He is now eligible for the Post 9/11 Bill and will take full advantage of it. He decided that even the Guard is not for him.
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 13th, 2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Paralegal,

Since you asked so nicely...

I made an assumption about your blanket statement that Chap 33 is the best to use ("I caution you however in using anything but the post 9/11 GI Bill"). My assumption was that you believe your guidance was applicable to a SM with one deployment under their belt. You are probably quite correct if the SM has 3 deployments or is coming to the Guard from active duty.

If the OP has 12 months of OEF, for example, he'll only get 60% of the BAH for his area, I'd propose almost any city on your list that has a community college and a BAH rate of less than $1475.

Let's say that the OP lives in Athens, GA and is attending Athens Technical College full time (with one deployment). Using Chap 33, his BAH would be $597.60, no? Plus $600 for books, his grand total for 9 months of school would be $5978.40.

If he used Chap 1607 in the same scenario, he'd pocket $883.80 per month - a total of $7947.00.

Our Soldier would leave almost $2000 on the table if he took your blanket statement at face value.

Tuition for 12 credits at Athens Technical College is $1030, or $85.83 per credit hour.

I don't live or work in GA, I just picked a city and googled a local community college. I'm sure there are more.

All I'm saying is that each situation is different. I'm guessing you are a squad leader - you owe it to your troops to know their situation before making statements that could cost them money.

Thanks for letting me off the hook, though.

SH
              Last edited by 91YJ; January 24th, 2012, 04:08 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Really?! If you take 12 credits over 9 months (which is two semesters) that means you are at best half time (6 credit hours each semester). Your math seems to assume the student is 3/4 time, which is impossible for 12 credit hours over two semesters. You also assume that the individual has 2+ years of service, but for giggles I'll give you that and tell you that his 1607 payment is really 589.20 over 9 months and totals 5302.80. You also forgot to calculate the cost of tuition, so go ahead and subtract 1030.00 and bring the grand total to 4272.80. (As I stated earlier, you can no longer count on tuition assitance always being there. We are broke, I just had a semester denied for lack of funds)

You may also want to add to your 9/11 number by about 620 dollars (60%), as you seem to have forgotten the tuition payment that comes with post 9/11.

So my numbers are 1607 = 4272.80 and post 9/11 = aprox 6598.40 (tuition added).

As you can see post 9/11 > chapter 1607.
                Last edited by matthew.ritchie; January 25th, 2012, 09:07 AM. Reason: One unhelpful bit

Comment

Oh, and there are no squads in JAG

Comment

Para,

Wow, it appears I offended you somehow.

Also, I was not totally clear. My math was based on 12 hours per semester, taking summers off. My math is legit.

If we were talking about the 3/4-time scenario you outlined, I'd agree with you (mostly). I think you helped make my point, though... depending on your situation, the best GI Bill for you depends on a whole bunch of factors.

As far as concerns about the availability of TA funds, you are partially right. Money is tight. Still doesn't necessarily make Chapter 33 right for everybody.

My original point stands: You do a disservice to our Soldiers when you make blanket statements without knowing their particular situation.

I've lurked this forum for a minute - these kids listen to what you (in particular) have to say. Just make sure that what you're saying is best for them.

Comment

Working...
                    X