Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Phoenix or American Military University?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Phoenix or American Military University?

notyetdead.....We finally agree on something! I perfer the "brick and mortar" supplemented with "IT" learning. Big name university IMO is the way to go. Might want to check fine print and see if there is a residency requirement for the degree?

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
      Big name university IMO is the way to go.
      Well, big name university is great, but it's far from necessary. You can get a great and respected education from a lot of lesser-known universities.

And at the end of the day, a "big name" university usually means they have a
      "big name" athletic department. Some of the best degrees in the country come from schools no one has heard of for a lack of athletics.
      Originally posted by 7011USMC
      Might want to check fine print and see if there is a residency requirement for the degree?
      Not sure what this means?

Comment

Oh, I was pretty much only talking about online degrees. However, if your resume says "Bachelor of Arts, Purdue University" then I as your potential employer won't know whether it was online or in person. So as far as potential future employment goes, that doesn't really matter.

On the other hand, I agree that you can probably get a better education by showing up to class and interacting with physical people in a physical room.

But an online degree from Harvard (that is NOT listed on your resume as "online") is at least 100x better than an in-person degree from Bishop State Community College (where I spent a semester in person).

Comment

I've got to heartily disagree with the opinions of AMU here. FUll disclosure, I am using AMU myself, so maybe I am biased, but let me add my input here.

As others havve said, it depends on what field you are looking for. Would I show up at JP Morgan Chase with an accounting degree from AMU? Probably not. They probably wouldn't recognize or respect the name. On the other hand, within the realm of federal agencies and defense contractors, for jobs in defense, security or intelligence, AMU has quite a good rep.

IMHO, AMU is actually better for those types of degrees. I went in for an intel program and AMU was one of the few that offered a focused one. (Embry Riddle was another ok option) Most other colleges offer an intel program but only scratch the surface of national stuff, and spend most of their time teaching business intelligence. AMU on the other hand allows you to focus soley on real world, national intel work.

As someone else said, the teachers there are very good actually. Especially for those niche programs like I mentioned. For GovSec, Defense, Intel type courses you'll find that the overwhelming majority of AMUs professors are current or former employees of the big name government agencies in those fields. Taking intel studies from guys with 10-15 years with the NSA, DIA etc = a pretty good learning experience IMO. Again, that's for those specific degrees. I can't speak to the quality of the traditional math, science, literature programs.

Still, anyone who is concerned or believes that AMU doesn't host a high caliber of professors should consider this. True story, my buddy signs up for an astronomy class there, and it turns out his astronomy professor is Alan Hale. (As in, discovered Hale-Bopp). Look it up, he still teaches there.

In fact, according to wikipedia:
          (Yeah yeah, not a "credible source" but we all know their error rate is lower than most encyclopedias)
          Notable faculty
          Alan Hale, co-discoverer of Comet Hale-Bopp.[7]
          James F. Reilly, geologist and former NASA astronaut.[8]
          Wendy B. Lawrence, former NASA astronaut.[9]

[edit] Notable alumni
          Brent M. Boyles, Brigadier General assigned as Assistant Adjutant General, Maine Army National Guard. (Master of Science, Military Studies [Defense Management], 1998)[10]
          Stanley E. Clarke III, Air Force Lieutenant General and Commander, Continental U.S. North American Aerospace Defense Command Region - 1st Air Force (Air Forces Northern), Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida. (Master of Arts, Military Studies, 2007)[11]
          Joel D. Cusker, Brigadier General and acting Adjutant General for the Montana National Guard. (Master of Arts, Military Studies, 1997)[12]
          Nicole Malachowski, United States Air Force officer and the first female pilot selected to fly as part of the USAF Air Demonstration Squadron, better known as the Thunderbirds. (Master of Arts (with honors), National Security Policy, 2009)[13]
          Joe M. Wells, Major General assigned as Director of Intelligence and Communication at the National Guard Bureau. (Master of Arts, Strategic Intelligence, 2000)[14]
          William H. Wade II, Major General who was assigned as Adjutant General of the California National Guard and Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations at Joint Forces Command, Naples, Italy. (Master of Arts, Military Studies [Defense Management], 1999)[15]
          Point is, no, its not Princeton or anything, but it certainly won't get you laughed out the door. Especially considering most people carrying AMU degrees are pairing them with military backgrounds and most employers don't look at online school while on active duty with the same skepticism as online school because you just didn't want to go.

Phoenix on the other hand? That place has rough reputation. I know most of the students that went there weren't big fans of the experience. The places student admin assistance isn't the greatest.

One other thing, from what I have seen, AMU doesn't give credit for life experience. They will give credit for military experience, but that's actually valid, and most other schools will too, because of SMART. (The Marines and Navy use SMART, I don't know what the Army uses, but I know they have something similar)

So SMART = Sailor/Marine ACE Registry Transcript. The way it worked, ACE (The American Council on Education) did a formal review of every formal school, academy, training session and job specialty across all the military services, to identify which ones should count for college credits, for how much, and under what course listings. Now, the Marine/soldier/sailor just runs his record through the system and gets a printout of how many credits he should expect. You give your SMART form to your school just like a school transcript, they evaluate it and awards you credits. AMU makes a point of making it a very easy process, since they are so used to dealing with veterans that they have it down to a science, but they certainly don't just GIVE you credits for random life experience. They are going off of standardized ACE recommendations and just about any Public University would award you the same transfer credit.

As others have said, if an online university bothers you that much, get it from UMD or some other state school that wont list it.

Comment

As a former intel major at AMU I would firmly stress that you not attend that school. The Intel Field is quantitative, meaning it revolves around numbers, yet the program thinks they can teach you through writing reports. Report writing is important in the real world, but it varies at each unit or organization you work for.

I found that the staff was terrible. The Financial Aid office was worse; they make you do every little detail, while a traditional school will have a VA Office that will help you through most everything. They offer no Scholarships; most brick-and-mortar schools will give you a scholarship for being a vet (on top of all your education benefits).

If you want a degree to help you in the Intel Field, I suggest getting a degree that is Math Intensive (Mathematics or Statistics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, ect) even at just the Associates Level. Intel in the Real World revolves around your ability to find the numbers and predict the future, something that writing endless papers doesn't prepare you for.

(*I'm a 35F E-4*)

As for the Emergency Readiness Preparedness Degree (or whatever it is), I have no professional experience in the industry nor have I taken their courses so I can't comment on the quality of it.

Comment

Some loved and hated degrees

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/....htm?kid=1MN32

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                Loved Degree #2 BA in Communications

...at this point you know the article is bullsh!t. If you go to a good school, that degree will get you a job as a barista at Starbucks. If you go to a less school, you'll be working at a Starbucks in a bad neighborhood or the Dunkin' Donuts next to the Starbucks that the other communication major went to.

Comment

haha. Thanks for the morning laugh.

Comment

Bottom line here is that there are too many reuptable state schools with on line programs to even let the thoughts of pheonix, thomas edison, strayer, kapplan and so on enter into your brain.

As far as the comment on Accounting earlier....that is one area where if you pass the CPA no one will give a darn if you went to ParalegalNCO1's school of accounting hosted in my basement on tuesdays. If you passed the test, you will have a job. However, I would still recommend you never attend a school that is not AACSB accredited for any business related degree (with a slight exception for a few human resources programs). My basement program doesn't make that list.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                      Bottom line here is that there are too many reuptable state schools with on line programs to even let the thoughts of pheonix, thomas edison, strayer, kapplan and so on enter into your brain.

As far as the comment on Accounting earlier....that is one area where if you pass the CPA no one will give a darn if you went to ParalegalNCO1's school of accounting hosted in my basement on tuesdays. If you passed the test, you will have a job. However, I would still recommend you never attend a school that is not AACSB accredited for any business related degree (with a slight exception for a few human resources programs). My basement program doesn't make that list.
                      How do I enroll? :-)

Comment

Well, to be fair to Thomas Edison it IS a state school. If one is a member of the NJ ARNG, they are able to use tuition waiver for Thomas Edison.

Obviously there are better state schools to go to such as The College of NJ and Rutgers University, but I can't fault a lesser school for being nearly free.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                          Well, to be fair to Thomas Edison it IS a state school. If one is a member of the NJ ARNG, they are able to use tuition waiver for Thomas Edison.

Obviously there are better state schools to go to such as The College of NJ and Rutgers University, but I can't fault a lesser school for being nearly free.
                          Yes, but you forgot the adjective of "reputable". There are reputable and crap state schools. There are NO reputal for profit schools, period.

Comment

WWHHHAAATTTT???
                            There are NO reputal for profit schools, period.
                            But I just found this one that has some outstanding reviews.

no one will give a darn if you went to ParalegalNCO1's school of accounting hosted in my basement on tuesdays.

Comment

interesting article

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...0890.html?vp=1

http://www.payscale.com/college-education-value-2012

Comment

Working...
                              X