Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Phoenix or American Military University?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Phoenix or American Military University?

Have you checked OU, and OSU, and even UCO out?

Because i know for a fact they all have online courses. haha

Alex

Comment

This is very interesting... I never have considered Uni of Phnx, and have recently been reading some articles about how corrupt and fraudulant various aspects of thier organization is/has been.

I have been considering AMU however, they are accredited by the same region as the university I got my BA degrees through, University of Colorado at Boulder (Go Buffaloes!!!) And, as I have been looking at possible graduate degrees (undecided on which route as of yet) have not heard anything bad about them.

Last week I was in D.C. and they have posters all over the place, especially in the areas around the Pentagon (along with a few other colleges that sell catering to the military).

As far as being in class or distance learning - that should not be a big issue. Either way you will be in working groups and teams toward project completion, on in a classroom, the other via video conferencing - which if you follow business trends will find very little difference in the operation of either.

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog
        Last week I was in D.C. and they have posters all over the place, especially in the areas around the Pentagon (along with a few other colleges that sell catering to the military).
        Colleges advertising themselves by putting up lots of posters near big businesses is not exactly an endorsement.

AMU has the same problem that U of Phoenix has: it's a for-profit company whose product happens to be degrees. They are incented to accept anyone with a pulse and further incented to graduate anyone whose check clears. There's a reason why there's no example of a well-respected for-profit university. They're degree mills.

Any local college will have a much better name value than the U of Phoenix's and the AMU's. If folks are married to the idea of online learning, look for an online program for a reput-able school.

Comment

Well (to learn, not argue) I can see and understand the whole public v profit issue.

I have researched AMU and looked at the people (faculty) who teach these courses and run the programs, and many of them come from, and are resident faculty at some very respected colleges and universities accross the US and abroad. Unlike UoP which cannot claim that as I understand (they will let anyone teach for them is what I heard from a friend of a friend...) I cannot blame an educator who moonlights from the main campus at UofX to AMU...

Keep in mind that all schools shoot for a profit, even state schools... and remember that all private universities and colleges are also for profit. And all schools pomote themselves via some format or another, so that issue really has no creedence, anyone with a brain (yes I know that is a big statement to make) knows the difference between an advertisement and marketing versus truth in reality... yes i know that is asking a lot of some people...

I was advised at CU-Boulder when I talked about this issue and AMU to make sure the college and thier programs were regionally accredited (which they are) - like the time-honored universities and colleges that we know and love, and have stickers all over our cars and sweat-shirts.

Of course the one thing that would feel wired... not attending courses at a school with a football team... did I mention GO BUFFALOES!!!
          Last edited by LRSU_Dog; September 6th, 2010, 03:44 AM.

Comment

I have researched AMU and looked at the people (faculty) who teach these courses and run the programs, and many of them come from, and are resident faculty at some very respected colleges and universities accross the US and abroad.
            Uh... How hard did you research this? I just looked over their Faculty list and they show 29 faculty, of which only 1 is full-time faculty (problem). Of the 29 faculty members, only 5 have doctorates (problem). 3 of their faculty got their graduate degrees from University of Phoenix (problem).

As for the folks that came from "very respected colleges and universities", I don't see it. A dude got his PhD from U of Texas, but he doesn't teach there. He teaches at a community college. Several of the teachers don't list any affiliation with any university. Many of the folks either do not post their bios, and most of those that do don't show being on faculty at an actual university.

Where are you getting "are resident faculty at some very respected colleges and universities" from? Only 18% of their core faculty have PhDs. Less than 4% of their faculty are full-time. Very few listed any other colleges they actually teach at. AMU's faculty list and qualification reads worse than most community colleges. This is not a real university by almost any yardstick. It's a degree mill.

But to each their own. I've just seen too many resumes of folks that went shopping for an easy degree and spent a lot of money only to realize that years later, no one values it. Schools like this prey on folks who have an itch to get a degree and then they find out years later that their degree isn't worth anything to any employer who gives their resume more than a once over for a check box. Buyer beware....
            Last edited by notyetdead; September 6th, 2010, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Depends on what you want to do.

If you plan on working for yourself, then go anywhere that is cheap.

A lot of the time, a name is just a name. I went to bible college, and read the same books and covered the same material as I do in the third largest seminary in america, that is known for it's academics.

When selecting a college it reallly depends what you're looking for.

Online isn't always the best.

I worked in enrollment management for three years.

I think UoP is a bad idea. It's expensive.

If I where you I'd seriously thinkg about doing ROTC at a college campus.

Or attending somewhere like VMI. Just thought I'd transpose my wants on you LOL.

Some think that the reason college means anythnig at all, is you have to want it to accomplish it.

What I mean is that once you're done, your furture is up to you. Blood sweat tears and breaks.

Comment

Umm.. there are 29 faculty members whose last names start with "A", "M" has 147... those are just the two letter I looked at. Good break-down of the "A's" though. it has been over a year + since I really looked at the list, and I am sure it has changed... But, once you get to another letter of the alphabet you see more...
                Last edited by LRSU_Dog; September 6th, 2010, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Umm.. there are 29 faculty members whose last names start with "A", "M" has 147... those are just the two letter I looked at. Good break-down of the "A's" though. it has been over a year + since I really looked at the list, and I am sure it has changed... But, once you get to another letter of the alphabet you see more...
                  Bring on the dissecting.......

Comment

Umm.. there are 29 faculty members whose last names start with "A", "M" has 147... those are just the two letter I looked at.
                    Good point, I should have specified I only read A. It's pretty underwhelming. Not sure where these great faculty are, but none of the ones I read were anything other than what you'd find at U of Phoenix and the like. It reads like a bad community college, with PhDs in the small minority and few who are moonlighting from dayjobs at great schools.

Compare it with the faculty list at a local university and the difference should be pretty apparent.

But hey, to each their own. And buyer beware.

Comment

I'll add my $0.02...

After getting my B.S. from a top-15 undergraduate business program, I took some online undergraduate classes at UMUC and am currently finishing a M.A. International Relations at AMU... all for fun and personal enrichment.

The online undergraduate online classes were a joke in my opinion, filled with morons who couldn't write or convey logical thought. Undergraduate classes, for the most part, are best taken in a traditional setting with a professor actively teaching and leading discussions. It's tough to get the depth of knowledge necessary in the online format. You'll sell yourself short by taking undergraduate classes online, but if it's the only option, it's the only option.

The graduate-level courses at AMU have been shockingly interesting and challenging. Most of the students are military officers, former military in the private sector, high school teachers, NGO or IGO professionals. etc. Everyone writes decently well and takes from their diverse experiences to add to the class. All of my professors, less one who is instructing a basic research methods class, have Ph.D.'s from traditional universities. For a program like this, the online format works.

One final note is that I would never expect an employer to value my degree at AMU and would even consider not listing it on my resume under certain circumstances. It takes away from my undergraduate degree, in my opinion.

As an undergraduate, the best option is to seek a traditional brick-and-mortar school that offers classes online, so maybe you're only going to class a couple nights per week and supplementing with the online ones.

The last thing you want is to spend money, time and countless other resources pursuing a degree that doesn't get you where you need or want to go.

Again, just my $0.02...

Comment

Originally posted by 1Adam12
                        Sorry about the late reply. It looks like I spoke too soon. I did some looking at Northeastern state University here in Oklahoma and they do offer online courses. I'm going to be contacting them Monday to see what all I can get done online.

I really appreciate all the great advise from everyone. Looks like you guys may have helped me avoid making a big mistake.

So does the OU and OCU. They are both very good schools....

Comment

Nj has a college- Thomas Edison university- they do all online courses for military. you even pay only in state residence fees and such, no matter where you're from. I'm "going there" for my masters in business management and it's been great for me and some of my soldiers so far

Comment

Originally posted by chd
                            As an undergraduate, the best option is to seek a traditional brick-and-mortar school that offers classes online, so maybe you're only going to class a couple nights per week and supplementing with the online ones.
                            That's similar to what I've done, only I attend classes typically 3-5 days a week depending on how much of a workload I can take on. I've spent the last two years attending Purdue in "brick 'n' mortar" style, supplemented by two online classes so far. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned when it comes to education but I actually loathe online classes, so I took them only when scheduling/availability demands necessitated them. Obviously that's personal preference, but ultimately in the end I'll get a degree that should pull a lot of weight since it'll be from a Tier 1 (and Big Ten ) college, and that counts for something in my opinion.
                            Last edited by Rokovak; September 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Indeed. If you have the option of going to Purdue or another "big name" school, that should be your choice without a doubt. If not, choose an online school with some long-term credibility. AMU might be a fine educational institution, but when you get out of the service and are looking for a job in the real world, has your potential employer heard of it? Probably not. On the other hand, if you got a degree online from the University of Hawai'i, even an employer in Maine is likely to know that it's a real school with real standards, even though it's not Purdue.
                              Last edited by SabreKhan; September 9th, 2010, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKhan
                                Indeed. If you have the option of going to Purdue or another "big name" school, that should be your choice without a doubt. If not, choose an online school with some long-term credibility.
                                Good point, but I'd insert a step:

1st: Purdue or another "big name school"
                                2nd: Non "big name school" that you can attend in person
                                3rd: Non "big name school" to attend online (such as U of Hawaii)
                                4th: Online school giving "life experience" credit

An in-person degree from East Carolina University is going to hold a lot more water than an online degree from University of Hawaii.

When I see your resume and know you completed an in-person degree, I know that you made education a first priority, committed to a fixed schedule, worked well with others, etc. The big fear of online degrees is that I don't even know if it was you that did the work.

This is why a "repu-table" online degree is MUCH preferred. And "repu-table" online degrees are in a very small minority and are all offered by established brick-and-mortar schools. One thing that all of the "repu-table" degrees require is a PROCTORED final examination for every course. Most online degrees brag that "some professors require it" meaning that it isn't policy. This is a red flag that I can't trust that this degree is worth anything, as I don't know if the student actually did the work.

Employers who scrutinize resumes have a good chance of knowing if you did an online degree, regardless of what you list. When you see a degree sponsor that doesn't fit the resume (such as a UH degree from a SC applicant), you figure it's online and can decide if that's a show-stopper.

Rokovak's plan is probably the ideal. An actual brick-and-mortar degree supplemented with online learning.
                                Last edited by notyetdead; September 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X