Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Phoenix or American Military University?

Hello, I'm in the process of trying to get enrolled into some online college courses. I've been looking at both the University of Phoenix and AMU. I understand that Phoenix is a larger university and their rep tells me that getting a degree from them would be better than one from AMU because they are a smaller school.

However, I'm interested in working for places like Homeland Security and AMU provides Degrees for "Emergency and Disaster Management" "Homeland Security" "Intelligence Studies" "Middle Eastern Studies" "Security Management."

All these areas are of interest to me but the Phoenix rep tells me that a Bachelor's in Homeland Security for example won't benefit me any more than a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice when it comes to finding a job.

Anyone here have any experience with AMU/Phoenix that might give me some guidance as to what school can better serve my needs?

Re: University of Phoenix or American Military University?

How about "none of the above"? UofP has a bad re****tion and stigma around it. Same with Amer Mil Univ. Whenever my company gets a resume with them listed, they go automatically to the bottom of the pile.

If you are looking to do online, check with local universities and inquire about their programs. Some, like the Univ Of N Texas, have several online programs... and they carry considerably more weight than UofP.

Comment

agree with the above... It depends on your goals. I need a degree for my commission and it doesnt matter from where or what its in, but i know a lot of companies wont take UoP degrees. Didnt know the same about AMU. I think AMU has a decent rep within the federal government.

Regardless of what you pick, the line that UoP is better cause its bigger is total BS to the millionth degree. Both colleges are FOR PROFIT, so deal with their pitches like you would a salesman.

Comment

Any suggestions for online schools? The Universities in my area don't have any online programs and going to classes just isn't an option.

Comment

As said previously, UoP negative feedback outweigh it's positive by a lot. Be careful.

Do your research and Google anything that sounds too good.

Comment

I goto Liberty University online,have been for 2 1/2 years. It is a private school, and some of the degrees(psychology for example) aren't deemed as valid (forget the technical name) as it is a private school and Christian based. I'll be getting a master degree in criminal justice from another school to show diversity, but DEF DO THE RESEARCH!!

p.s. My wife works for LUO and she gets 95% (100% seemed in accurate) negative feedback from univerity of pheonix students allllllllllllllllll the time, a lot of transfers from there as well, and a online advising department that is deemed as unfriendly and not a lot of help. ((** WARNING**))
            Last edited by SGT Bart; September 2nd, 2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Wow, I really shouldn't have jumped head first into this whole thing. I just want to get some school out of the way before I deploy. My personal life won’t allow for me to do the traditional school thing so my only option is to go online.

I have been reading some reviews online about University of Phoenix and AMU and I'm really starting to get turned off from the idea of going to either.

I don't want to waste my time and money for a worthless degree. I have been seeing a little better reviews for Capella online. Anyone here hear anything about them?

Comment

Originally posted by 1Adam12
                I don't want to waste my time and money for a worthless degree. I have been seeing a little better reviews for Capella online. Anyone here hear anything about them?
                They're mostly famous because they have use their big marketing budget for online banner ads. They were ranked 23rd of the past 50 or so online-only universities by an online education group. They have a 100% admission rate for folks in their undergrad programs (read: have a pulse) and they award "life-experience credit."

That last one pretty much slams the door for any program. Schools that give credit for "life experience" in lieu of coursework devalue their degree and it doesn't get held in high regard by others. It's a scary thing to pour that much money down the hole for an online degree that may have little to no value.

If you're interested in learning for learning's sake, there are lots of quality online courses available.

If you're interested in a degree for professional reasons, I'd do whatever I could to attend actual classes locally. If that's just not in the cards, I'd look at online degrees offered by brick-and-mortar schools. They exist, but they're expensive and competitive to get in to since they're honest-to-god schools. Options of degree type are somewhat limited, as few subjects lend themselves to mastering with zero actual interaction with faculty and fellow students.

Comment

Wow, I really shouldn't have jumped head first into this whole thing. I just want to get some school out of the way before I deploy. My personal life won’t allow for me to do the traditional school thing so my only option is to go online.

Listen up here's what you do.

Many accredited schools, that are deemed traditional, ALSO all have online classes now. Many degrees are offered online.

Not only that, I will bet you most universities (even Harvard and Community Colleges) all offer online classes.

If you are trying to knock out a few classes, I would recommend "general education" classes such as, math, english, sciences, communication. All universities will recognize transfer credits from accredited community colleges.

Even better, lets say you goto supercool XYZ University, you can receive your entire degree online in Criminal Justice, and on your resume, it will make no difference if you obtained it online or not.

HOWEVER, if you attend Univ. Of Phoenix (which I suggest you don't) everyone know you did it online. The same assumption cannot be made if you list "graduated from Ohio State" or whatever school.

Good luck.

Comment

I'll echo the suggestions to find an online program from a traditional four-year college. If I were you I'd look for a school in your state so you don't get taken to the cleaners on out-of-state tuition and fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo
                      HOWEVER, if you attend Univ. Of Phoenix (which I suggest you don't) everyone know you did it online.
                      Not true. Where are you getting this from, Bingo?

U of Phoenix offers online training, but also has hundreds of campuses in most states. It's not an online school, it's a brick-and-mortar school that also offers online courses.

Comment

Phoenix is a rip off!

Check out: http://www.pec.ngb.army.mil/training/centers/esc/

Military Credit Evaluation & Degree Plans

The ESC provides automated degree planning, military credit evaluations and college credit assessments to Army National Guard Soldiers, their spouses, and Army National Guard civilian employees at no cost to the individual. The ESC also serves as a virtual counseling center and information clearinghouse for Army National Guard education. Service members can take advantage of every opportunity to complete their degree by maximizing non-traditional academic options and supplementing them with traditional classes or courses.
                        If you are a member of the Army National Guard, we strongly encourage you to fill out our educational evaluation application so we can help you with your educational goals.

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead
                          Not true. Where are you getting this from, Bingo?

U of Phoenix offers online training, but also has hundreds of campuses in most states. It's not an online school, it's a brick-and-mortar school that also offers online courses.

You're right I misspoke. Here's what I meant to say, If you attend Univ of Phoenix, then I am willing to bet the majority of people will assume you did it online only (diploma mill). There are too many negative connotations associated with UoP. Why bother with it at all, when there are more established and respected schools in the higher education hierarchy that may be attended and avoid any such negative feelings of UoP.

UoP is a "for-profit" University. Anyone attending such universities should be extremely suspect of that. UoP has brought alot of the negative attention to itself. I would recommend to anyone seeking to knock out a few classes just avoid this university altogether.

Comment

Any suggestions for online schools? The Universities in my area don't have any online programs and going to classes just isn't an option.
                            Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo
                              Where are you located?
                              Sorry about the late reply. It looks like I spoke too soon. I did some looking at Northeastern state University here in Oklahoma and they do offer online courses. I'm going to be contacting them Monday to see what all I can get done online.

I really appreciate all the great advise from everyone. Looks like you guys may have helped me avoid making a big mistake.

Comment

Working...
                              X