Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
How do you go AGR? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do you go AGR?

    Is there like a website like usajobs?

  • #2
    Re: How do you go AGR?

    Originally posted by mwrs View Post
    Is there like a website like usajobs?
    There are two type of AGR....well three actually.

    National Guard Title 32 AGR is advertised by each state with target assignments to a particular city/job. You have to apply to those individual positions just like applying to a regular job.

    National Guard Title 10 AGR is advertised by NGB, with job specific vacancies.

    USAR AGR is applied for through the Army HRC website and is one application for a mass of jobs, of which you cannot see.

    It is beyond extremely competitive.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How do you go AGR?

      Each state's HR office will post opening's on their website. In fact, I think Nebraska's Guard has a link list to all 53 Guard websites. In certain select openings they are competative nationwide, otherwise the significant preference is for soldiers who are already members of that state's Guard. There are a few exceptions however, like several positions in CSTs for example.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How do you go AGR?

        Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        Each state's HR office will post opening's on their website. In fact, I think Nebraska's Guard has a link list to all 53 Guard websites. In certain select openings they are competative nationwide, otherwise the significant preference is for soldiers who are already members of that state's Guard. There are a few exceptions however, like several positions in CSTs for example.
        54...unless a territory quit that I dont know about.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How do you go AGR?

          Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
          54...unless a territory quit that I dont know about.
          Perhaps he meant that Nebraska's site links to the other 53 (for a total of 54).

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How do you go AGR?

            Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
            Perhaps he meant that Nebraska's site links to the other 53 (for a total of 54).
            Well played Sir

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How do you go AGR?

              Originally posted by mwrs View Post
              Is there like a website like usajobs?
              In all honesty, you pretty much need to either know influential AGR Soldiers or be very lucky. My advice would be to find your state's AGR posting online. I know in MS the link is on the MSARNG homepage. Apply for every one that you qualify for. Maybe eventually lady luck will smile your way. Good luck to you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How do you go AGR?

                While in the reserves a Couple of years ago I applied to an AGR position thru the HRC website, I was offered a position, but I declined, then of course my name went to the bottom of the pile and never heard from anyone again, so if you do apply thru HRC make sure you are ready to take on the assignment.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How do you go AGR?

                  Originally posted by Orelladanza View Post
                  In all honesty, you pretty much need to either know influential AGR Soldiers or be very lucky. My advice would be to find your state's AGR posting online. I know in MS the link is on the MSARNG homepage. Apply for every one that you qualify for. Maybe eventually lady luck will smile your way. Good luck to you.
                  In today's economy for a government job or a private sector job ( A REAL good one to add to that ) you have to know someone. If not don't get your hopes up. Apply of course however just know what you are up against.
                  Last edited by o13starsnstripes; September 8th, 2013, 10:55 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How do you go AGR?

                    Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                    In today's economy for a government job or a private sector job ( A REAL good to add to that ) you have to know someone. If not don't get your hopes up. Apply of course however just know what you are up against.
                    I'd like to think that I have a decent private sector job as a software engineer for a defense contractor in the Mid-Atlantic area ... without knowing anyone. But then again, I didn't set myself up for failure by majoring in underwater basket weaving.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How do you go AGR?

                      Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                      In today's economy for a government job or a private sector job ( A REAL good to add to that ) you have to know someone. If not don't get your hopes up. Apply of course however just know what you are up against.
                      There are many of people who get hired without knowing someone. I happen to of done it a few times, but didn't always accept.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How do you go AGR?

                        Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                        There are many of people who get hired without knowing someone. I happen to of done it a few times, but didn't always accept.
                        Same here..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How do you go AGR?

                          Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                          In today's economy for a government job or a private sector job ( A REAL good to add to that ) you have to know someone. If not don't get your hopes up. Apply of course however just know what you are up against.
                          That's not necessarily true, you don't have to know someone to get hired, I personally didn't know anyone at my agency when they hired me last year.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: How do you go AGR?

                            In my experience so far and other people I know are seeing how much it helps or is required to know someone in order to get work.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: How do you go AGR?

                              Many of the posted AGR positions have already been earmarked for a particular soldier, unless it's an extremely hard to fill position.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X