• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you go AGR?

Is there like a website like usajobs?

Re: How do you go AGR?

Originally posted by mwrs View Post
    There are two type of AGR....well three actually.

National Guard Title 32 AGR is advertised by each state with target assignments to a particular city/job. You have to apply to those individual positions just like applying to a regular job.

National Guard Title 10 AGR is advertised by NGB, with job specific vacancies.

USAR AGR is applied for through the Army HRC website and is one application for a mass of jobs, of which you cannot see.

It is beyond extremely competitive.

Comment

Each state's HR office will post opening's on their website. In fact, I think Nebraska's Guard has a link list to all 53 Guard websites. In certain select openings they are competative nationwide, otherwise the significant preference is for soldiers who are already members of that state's Guard. There are a few exceptions however, like several positions in CSTs for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        Each state's HR office will post opening's on their website. In fact, I think Nebraska's Guard has a link list to all 53 Guard websites. In certain select openings they are competative nationwide, otherwise the significant preference is for soldiers who are already members of that state's Guard. There are a few exceptions however, like several positions in CSTs for example.
        54...unless a territory quit that I dont know about.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
          54...unless a territory quit that I dont know about.
          Perhaps he meant that Nebraska's site links to the other 53 (for a total of 54).

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
            Perhaps he meant that Nebraska's site links to the other 53 (for a total of 54).
            Well played Sir

Comment

Originally posted by mwrs View Post
              In all honesty, you pretty much need to either know influential AGR Soldiers or be very lucky. My advice would be to find your state's AGR posting online. I know in MS the link is on the MSARNG homepage. Apply for every one that you qualify for. Maybe eventually lady luck will smile your way. Good luck to you.

Comment

While in the reserves a Couple of years ago I applied to an AGR position thru the HRC website, I was offered a position, but I declined, then of course my name went to the bottom of the pile and never heard from anyone again, so if you do apply thru HRC make sure you are ready to take on the assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by Orelladanza View Post
                  In all honesty, you pretty much need to either know influential AGR Soldiers or be very lucky. My advice would be to find your state's AGR posting online. I know in MS the link is on the MSARNG homepage. Apply for every one that you qualify for. Maybe eventually lady luck will smile your way. Good luck to you.
                  In today's economy for a government job or a private sector job ( A REAL good one to add to that ) you have to know someone. If not don't get your hopes up. Apply of course however just know what you are up against.
                  Last edited by o13starsnstripes; September 8th, 2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                    In today's economy for a government job or a private sector job ( A REAL good to add to that ) you have to know someone. If not don't get your hopes up. Apply of course however just know what you are up against.
                    I'd like to think that I have a decent private sector job as a software engineer for a defense contractor in the Mid-Atlantic area ... without knowing anyone. But then again, I didn't set myself up for failure by majoring in underwater basket weaving.

Comment

In today's economy for a government job or a private sector job ( A REAL good to add to that ) you have to know someone. If not don't get your hopes up. Apply of course however just know what you are up against.
                      There are many of people who get hired without knowing someone. I happen to of done it a few times, but didn't always accept.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                        There are many of people who get hired without knowing someone. I happen to of done it a few times, but didn't always accept.
                        Same here..

Comment

That's not necessarily true, you don't have to know someone to get hired, I personally didn't know anyone at my agency when they hired me last year.

Comment

In my experience so far and other people I know are seeing how much it helps or is required to know someone in order to get work.

Comment

Many of the posted AGR positions have already been earmarked for a particular soldier, unless it's an extremely hard to fill position.

Comment

Working...
                              X