X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EOD to CID

Ok, I am looking for some advice/suggestions. I joined the National Guard in Jan for EOD, I have started my background investigation (TS/SCI) and have a "Wait" status for school in Oct. However some things have changed in my personal life and going CID (which I did not know the Guard had when I enlisted) would help support my civilian career goals.

I feel a little guilty that I have been "stringing my unit along" (people have put in a lot of work to get me to EOD school) but have been advised that I need to look out for my family and career. To complicate matters there is no CID units within the state that I live requiring a conditional release to the Army Reserve.
    Last edited by ajdeployed12; July 13th, 2013, 11:08 AM. Reason: Chaned IST to conditional release due to realization that the closest and only feasible unit is Army Reserve

Re: EOD to CID

Wow Devil, you truly have some bonanzas

If you were active duty and pulled that stunt, you will get, "Sorry, needs of the Army". Especially, if you are not MOSq. You have to serve in the MOS for two years that you initially contracted in before deciding to switch.

I do not think your unit will jump at your beck and call because you have a epiphany to switch to a MOS that you immediate want. It does not work that way besides you coming in first. Trust me, I got this speech because of me jumping services and in a way those opinions were right because it stagnated my short term promotion growth. I could have been much higher in rank today; if I will have stayed on one path.

Just my two pennies.

http://www.cid.army.mil/units_reserve.html
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 13th, 2013, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
      Wow Devil, you truly have some bonanzas

If you were active duty and pulled that stunt, you will get, "Sorry, needs of the Army". Especially, if you are not MOSq. You have to serve in the MOS for two years that you initially contracted in before deciding to switch.

I do not think your unit will jump at your beck and call because you have a epiphany to switch to a MOS that you immediate want. It does not work that way besides you coming in first. Trust me, I got this speech because of me jumping services and in a way those opinions were right because it stagnated my short term promotion growth. I could have been much higher in rank today; if I will have stayed on one path.

Just my two pennies.

http://www.cid.army.mil/units_reserve.html

I hear you and your right. However I was under the impression that the 2 years attached after MOS-Q (also remember that EOD is a volunteer only MOS). I am conflicted but there are also some others factors weighing my decision; honestly I don't know if I feel comfortable being in EOD with the amount and quality of the training I see at my unit. Also while I would like to promote if I do not I will not be disgruntled about it.
      Last edited by ajdeployed12; July 13th, 2013, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Well, if that is the case, who says that the NG can just place you in another MOS that you do not want (e.g. infantry, artillery, cook). That may happen as well.

Go to this website and look how much has been done so far.

http://www.753eod.com/requirements.aspx

By the time you set foot on Fort Lee, the Army National Guard will have spent a lot of money on you, with even more getting ready to be paid. To make sure all of that money is well spent, there are strict requirements. Still, those few that meet this criteria have a fifty percent chance of failing the school. If you don't want it bad enough, if you're not capable of performing the tasks, if you're not dependable... it is best for the both of us to find out now.

Comment

My TS took a year and a half to get approved. A lot of money is spent on TS clearances. I will immediately start engaging your leadership if you want out now. They can use that school slot for someone who wants it.

Comment

Valid points, but I assure you that 1) Its not as indepth as it sounds 2) If I hadn't pushed the unit constantly for the last 7 months very little of it would have been done. I also counter with the fact that I would still need the TS/SCI so there is very little investment lost and I truely belive that I have put more work in than my unit. That being said, if I go then I am in it 100%. One of the factors that I was talking about is the fact that I am now looking at moving in the near future <2 years. There are very few EOD units, I do not want to get $250,000 worth of training just to have to reclass AFTER because I am not near an EOD unit. I am not only thinking of myself (70/30) even if that is how it sounds. As the quote says, many people fail out of EOD school, even with max effort I could be one of them.

(FYI On a cell phone, incase of typo's and edited the above post while you were posting with more info)

Comment

My TS took a year and a half to get approved. A lot of money is spent on TS clearances. I will immediately start engaging your leadership if you want out now. They can use that school slot for someone who wants it.
              I will engage them right after I am able to speak to the CID National Guard Liason Officer Monday and find out if there are openings, if I am eligible, etc.

Comment

Well, if you cease your choice, your investigation could be stopped to save money or lack of current need. When I was in Afghanistan last year, my case stopped for some reason. Early this year, I got a letter from a SFC in my S2 to get a new memo signed by my Commander to re-initiate it. The point is, there is no guarantee that you can get selected for CID and your TS could be ceased by your Command because you no longer an EOD candidate.

Comment

Well, if you cease your choice, your investigation could be stopped to save money or lack of current need. When I was in Afghanistan last year, my case stopped for some reason. Early this year, I got a letter from a SFC in my S2 to get a new memo signed by my Commander to re-initiate it. The point is, there is no guarantee that you can get selected for CID and your TS could be ceased by your Command because you no longer an EOD candidate.
                  Noted, I am looking to approach it as switching with someone who wants to go early giving me time to pursue CID.

Comment

1. Do you meet CID criteria?
                    2. Do you know where the nearest CID unit it? It's a very small MOS, you may find that (1) the nearest unit is several hundred miles away, and (2) they may not have a vacancy for you.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                      1. Do you meet CID criteria?
                      2. Do you know where the nearest CID unit it? It's a very small MOS, you may find that (1) the nearest unit is several hundred miles away, and (2) they may not have a vacancy for you.
                      I believe I meet the criteria depending on how they count certain things, I may need a waiver. I do know where the closest CID units are: approx 7 hours away. I will be contacting the Reserve/National Guard Liaison Officer tomorrow to determine eligibility and vacancies.

Comment

Working...
                      X