Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about specialty schoools

Viceroy,

The OP enlisted as a 11B per his original posting. The 09S stuff doesn't apply to him.

OP.

Without getting anything in your contract, the only way to get specialty schools is to bring your "A" game to BCT/AIT and hope that the cadre take notice and offer it to you. Otherwise, you are resigned to whatever your unit requires for your slotting. I will tell you though, that being 11B has a better chance than say, a 42A, getting AB or AAS. I will also tell you that if you decide to go to OCS when you get back, forget any thoughts of specialty schools until after you commission, go to BOLC and get a unit.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
      Viceroy,

The OP enlisted as a 11B per his original posting. The 09S stuff doesn't apply to him.

OP.

Without getting anything in your contract, the only way to get specialty schools is to bring your "A" game to BCT/AIT and hope that the cadre take notice and offer it to you. Otherwise, you are resigned to whatever your unit requires for your slotting. I will tell you though, that being 11B has a better chance than say, a 42A, getting AB or AAS. I will also tell you that if you decide to go to OCS when you get back, forget any thoughts of specialty schools until after you commission, go to BOLC and get a unit.
      Damn. I guess my hint of sarcasm wasn't thick enough.

Oh well. He'll get the point.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
        Viceroy,

OP.

We had a guy fresh out of 11B OSUT come back to the unit with Airborne and Combatives Level 1 without those on his enlistment contract. Basically, he was down at Benning and did well on APFTs that NGB footed the bill for those other courses.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
          Damn. I guess my hint of sarcasm wasn't thick enough.

Oh well. He'll get the point.
          Ah...

Comment

... I'm so lost! haha. Thank you for your help gentlemen. Thank you Chief for your assistance here and on my questions before I enlisted, yes I remember you. I will talk with other recruits at BCT at chow time and ask them if they know anything I don't. I will hone my research skills and talk to my superiors if given the chance at AIT. And if I don't get to go to these hooah schools, so be it. I will focus on my PT and if i get noticed, great. I think I will go to OCS school when I return, I would rather do that than wait around for a school it seems I will not be able to get into. I suppose I should have asked these questions beforehand and got it into my contract before enlisting. Damnit..

Comment

Originally posted by Achilles Cole View Post
              ... I'm so lost! haha. Thank you for your help gentlemen. Thank you Chief for your assistance here and on my questions before I enlisted, yes I remember you. I will talk with other recruits at BCT at chow time and ask them if they know anything I don't. I will hone my research skills and talk to my superiors if given the chance at AIT. And if I don't get to go to these hooah schools, so be it. I will focus on my PT and if i get noticed, great. I think I will go to OCS school when I return, I would rather do that than wait around for a school it seems I will not be able to get into. I suppose I should have asked these questions beforehand and got it into my contract before enlisting. Damnit..
              You'll have a few RSP drills to go through before you ship off. Hopefully, between now and then, a field grade officer or two may waltz by and drop a few kernels of knowledge. Maybe even a Ranger or an SF guy. When I was in RSP we had the unique experience of interacting with the whole gambit--A whole Cadre of Drill Sergeants that reamed us good, SF soldiers from the 20th rotated in and out and shot us through their PT training. I was in RSP so long we had an SF Sergeant come drill with us, deploy, come back and drill with us again, then deploy again. They D&C'd us till our noses bled and smoked us until we grew a third arm. We had military personnel drop by from CSMs to CPT's, Majors up to LTCs drop knowledge.

Do yourself and your future platoon a favor: Don't ask any questions the first two weeks of BCT. In fact, don't say anything but hooah and yes or no Drill Sergeant until they (your Drill Sergeants) decide to have a kumbaya with you where everyone gets to sit indian style IN the kill zone and build comradery. Save the detailed questions for when you're on about week 6 or 7. Don't be one of those guys that has to keep asking stupid questions that eats into your personal time--your platoon will love you for it and express their love. And your Drill Sergeants may decide to give you a nickname like Stork, gizz, woody or Harry Potter. You don't want to be in the predicament of having an entire Cadre call you by some ridiculous name while you're in extremely populated areas like Eagle Tower or the chow hall or--well--anywhere else where the entire company can laugh at you.

No--at no time will there be ANY talking in the chow hall unless one of the Drill Sergeants happens to strike up a brief conversation with you, which won't happen until around week 4. And that depends largely on the personality of your Drill Sergeant(s). Some DS's are layed back. Others are 100% military bearing 24-7-365. You'll always have that one cool Drill Sergeant, one crazy Drill Sergeant that's been 'blown up too many times', and that one Drill Sergeant who has his gear shift stuck on "A" (and I don't mean awesome). You'll be alright, kid. 11B opens a lot more doors of opportunity than almost any other MOS, which is why nearly every senior enlisted or officer you see in an important position has that infantry badge on his chest.
              Last edited by VICEROY06; May 13th, 2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

They D&C'd us till our noses bled and smoked us until we grew a third arm. We had military personnel drop by from CSMs to CPT's, Majors up to LTCs drop knowledge.
                Hardcore - Damn Hardcore!

You'll be alright, kid. 11B opens a lot more doors of opportunity than almost any other MOS, which is why nearly every senior enlisted or officer you see in an important position has that infantry badge on his chest.
                ?????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post

?????????????????????????????????????????
                  Geez. I gotta give the kid some kind of motivation.

Comment

Geez. I gotta give the kid some kind of motivation.
                    Plus one

Comment

You'll always have that one cool Drill Sergeant, one crazy Drill Sergeant that's been 'blown up too many times', and that one Drill Sergeant who has his gear shift stuck on "A" (and I don't mean awesome).
                      Pegged it. That's awesome, right there.

Comment

Working...
                      X