Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about specialty schoools

Hello American's,
    I swore into the Guard last week. I ship out in September. I would like to take advantage of every training course available to us. By the way, I am 11B. How do I go about signing up for Airborne, air assault, Ranger schools? Is it something I should wait until I complete BCT and AIT or start on it before hand? And which school should I attempt to join first? Am I allowed to attend all of these schools? I also will be starting traditional 18 month OCS when I return. I'm in the dark here gentlemen, and I am not sure if it is appropriate to keep bothering my recruiter with these questions. He has new recruits to find.

Re: Questions about specialty schoools

By the way, my first RSP drill is next weekend. So if this information is bright to light there, I apologize for being such an eager bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Achilles Cole View Post
      By the way, my first RSP drill is next weekend. So if this information is bright to light there, I apologize for being such an eager bastard.
      Honestly, I was very eager myself when I first joined. I wish I could say something positive... but in reality, especially with budget cuts, there isn't any money for schools unless your position REQUIRES it. Now, some states may be in better positions than others, but most come in the same fashion.

I tried in my first two units to get airborne (I was originally 11B myself) but to no avail. The one that is more likely is Air Assault (since that is done through MTTs) and Pathfinder (also done through MTTs), but I'm finding it rarer to get a slot.

Airborne, however, usually happens though if you have a position that requires it. Personally, I moved states and travel for drill so that I can be in an airborne unit, but I understand that's not a possibility everywhere.

Back when I went to OSUT (back in 2010), they were allowing anyone who had higher than 270 to go to Airborne as a reward. Not sure if they're doing that now either...

Hope that helps!

Comment

yeah it helps, but i mean, i knew it was going to be hard and slots are limited. I've been watching videos and doing reading. But if it is something I want to do, who do I talk to? How do I ATTEMPT to make it happen?

Comment

and i mean, ANY type of additional training. Where do I start? I want to be more than the average soldier.

Comment

and i mean, ANY type of additional training. Where do I start? I want to be more than the average soldier.
            Show up on time, do what you are asked, do it well.

Comment

You joining the military shows you are an above-average civilian.

Signed

An American's.

Comment

Hello American's,
                I swore into the Guard last week. I ship out in September. I would like to take advantage of every training course available to us. By the way, I am 11B. How do I go about signing up for Airborne, air assault, Ranger schools? Is it something I should wait until I complete BCT and AIT or start on it before hand? And which school should I attempt to join first? Am I allowed to attend all of these schools? I also will be starting traditional 18 month OCS when I return. I'm in the dark here gentlemen, and I am not sure if it is appropriate to keep bothering my recruiter with these questions. He has new recruits to find.
                ASI courses are hard to come by depending on your state. Of course, NJ likes to say there's funding available for ASI courses one day and do a complete 180 the next and say there's no funding.

I remember when I was at IBOLC NJ said, "If you can get a Ranger physical done, then we'll send you to Ranger School." (That was a lie and we all knew it). Active Duty component said if you have orders for Ranger School, we will get you a Ranger physical while at IBOLC.

Hence, the dissatisfaction with driving 1.5 hours to drill in NJ which is why I'm exploring IST options. My unit will be without a single LT soon due to ISTs to neighboring states. Love the unit, frustrated with the state.

Comment

c'mon guys. be real with me... Anyway, i found this.

http://www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/b...d-schools.html

Comment

c'mon guys. be real with me... Anyway, i found this.

http://www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/b...d-schools.html
                    I'm sorry... I don't think anyone's not being real for you!

Anywho, the process would be to speak to your training NCO, who MAY submit a DA 4187 (which is a request for school forms) on your behalf. I have done this I dunno 1000X and each time it was rejected. Usually this goes up to the S3, but the training NCO or Commander can just stop it right there.

I'm sorry...

Comment

i was talking about chief.. no offense, chief.

Comment

and thank you. i will start there. If anything happens, i'll post back here and keep anyone wanting to know updated.

Comment

and thank you. i will start there. If anything happens, i'll post back here and keep anyone wanting to know updated.
                          Glad I could help!

But yeah, it will be a long while actually... Because you can't do it at RSP, the unit won't send you if you're going to OCS, and so it'll be about 2-3 years before you're able to ask the question, since the branch you get might change.

Comment

i was talking about chief.. no offense, chief.
                            You like to pluralize when you refer to one person as well. But I was being real. I was just goofing with your American's typo.

When I was in the Guard (as a 12B); I was not made aware of any hooah (specialty schools) that I could take advantage of. When I went to PLDC at Fort Dix; somebody finally offered airborne to me but it was based on a 18X contract.

When I crossed over to active duty and got assigned to the 101st Airborne did I finally get an understanding of specialty schools and forced to go to air assault school since I was in an air assault Division MP company. Plus, Fort Campbell had schools in PathFinder, SPIES/FRIES, combat commo, RIP (now RASP), etc.

Since you are going Guard, there will be more limits due to state and funding constraints. I am not saying that it will be impossible but possibly more of a challenge. I would just focus on the 25 meter target and graduate first from BCT/AIT and then when you get to your unit; ask your immediate leadership about that type of training.

Better?

Comment

Hello American's,
                              Hold your horses there, Walker Texas Ranger.

First of all, don't pay attention to every Army/National Guard ad you run into on the internet. Some of those publications are OLD, and some generalize while they leave out the details of how to actually accomplish some of these heroic feats of hooah, so they can get wide-eyed, bushy-tailed guys like you to enlist.

Welcome to the Armed Forces.

You should have done some extensive research on this topic before you got all warm and fuzzy and enlisted. Sounds like you may be on the 09S option. There's a slim chance you may get to go to Airborne School as a commissioned 2LT. There's also a slim chance you may get an opportunity to get an Airborne, Ranger school or Special Forces contract while you're at BCT. Why am I being so optimistic? Because they laughed at me when I enlisted at 38. Then laughed when I chose not to go the 09S route because I wanted to get a taste of the enlisted route. Even the review board at OCS tried to discourage me from going accelerated because I'm 41. Still plugging ahead with a PT score in the top 4 of the class (253), 10 drop-outs, and 4 guys that switched from accelerated to traditional.

Recruiters have been known sometimes to drop in and to talk to guys once they're in the latter stage of BCT possibly because we were at Benning. But understand that even if by some freak of nature you get a chance to go to Ranger School you can only get the tab (Ranger Qualified). You won't be attached to an AD Ranger unit.

A Special Forces recruiter dropped in on my company when we were on week 7. Now, why am I talking to you about Special Forces? Because SF is the gateway to all the specialty schools you can shake a stick at. I've actually seen guys in my platoon sign up for SF and get the Airborne contract and punk out a couple weeks before graduation. One guy lost his Airborne contract because he streeked the whole company during FTX. And this guy was a self-proclaimed genius with--get this--a law degree but never practiced law. The idiot should have gone JAG but he wanted to be the next future ex-SF guy with his own syndicated survival show. Yes, he was that arrogant, conceited and self-righteous.

Also, understand that whatever you get, SF or Ranger, don't get all excited and screw around on your remaining APFTs. Yes, one guy actually graduated, went to Airborne School, then got kicked out because he failed his run by 10 seconds. So, he had to sit around the barracks and get pushed around by the Drill Sergeants and called a failure for a few weeks until he got his ticket to go home.

Anyways, I know you came here looking for answers since you're "in the dark" but if you don't develop some exceptional internet research skills and networking abilities you're going to be in the dark your whole military career. It can be done--No one is going to do it for you--take the time to hone your research skills online and in person.
                              Last edited by VICEROY06; May 13th, 2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X