Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

12B Combat Engineer...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 12B Combat Engineer...

    I have a fellow soldier interested in Combat Engineer, he is currently enlisted and was wondering a few things before he started talking to his unit about reclassing...
    1)How long is the reclass school?
    2)How much combat soldiering will he do as opposed to the demo, building up, tearing down, clearance half?
    3)Is Sapper Leader Course the only school Combat Engineers get sent to normally? Or are Combat Engineers in the good possibility for Airborne or Air Assault as well?
    4)Lastly, any idea if there is any strictly Sapper or Armored Units in Illinois Army National Guard that would house Combat Engineers rather than a boring Horizontal and Vertical Engineer unit

  • #2
    Re: 12B Combat Engineer...

    I'm currently a squad leader in a Sapper company on deployment (at MOB station) so I will answer what I can.

    1. The MOSQ school for 12B is 2 weeks long. Its a lot of info in a short 2 weeks but when I went through it was a very good course with really good instructors.
    2. This all depends on the kind of unit he is assigned to. If he ends up in a Sapper company then he will demo qual with explosives at least once a year. My unit spends most drills out in the field conducting missions and stick lanes. There is a lot of emphasis on small group leadership, particularly on the squad leaders. Much like one would see in an infantry company.
    3. Sapper Leader Course is not the only school, in fact most units in the NG have lots of difficulty sending ANYONE to SLC. Its a good goal to have but realistically the chances of ever going in the NG is pretty slim. I have come to except the fact that I will most likely never go. There is a plethora of 12B focused schools, however they don't produce a neat badge or tab. If Sapper companies have difficulty sending soldiers to SLC then you can guess where AAS and Airborne are in the line. However, most of this will greatly depend on the state.
    4. Can't help you here, I don't belong to ILARNG.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 12B Combat Engineer...

      I've drilled with a engineer unit now for two years, and I've never seen a sapper tab. There are also very few airborne and air assault wings. Though combat patches are many.

      However, once I ran into a ranger and asked him how he was enjoying our marvelous post, then I proceeded to give him a hard time about the gee dunk he was eating.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 12B Combat Engineer...

        Thanks for the info Explosive Hazard, i will make sure the relay your input towards my fellow guardsmen. I told him the same thing on Airborne and Air Assault, but obviously as a 13F, I have no experience with attempting for Sapper school.
        Chaplain4me, thanks also!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 12B Combat Engineer...

          Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
          I've drilled with a engineer unit now for two years, and I've never seen a sapper tab. There are also very few airborne and air assault wings. Though combat patches are many.
          To add to this we have a grand total of ZERO Sapper tabs in my Sapper company. In the last 5 years we managed to send one 2LT. He was at the top of his graduating class in ENBOLC so the school house reserved him a slot and since this all happened at the end of the fiscal year the state happened to have money they needed to quickly spend. Preparation along with opportunity= a SLC slot. No body else has ever gone to the course. In the past I was submitted twice in ATTRS by my command to go but in both cases state training command cancelled my reservation due to lack of funding. Now with the budget issues kicking every state in the pocket book I doubt the opportunity will ever exists to go. I guess I can get fat now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 12B Combat Engineer...

            I meant to say an engineer battalion.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 12B Combat Engineer...

              Originally posted by axelvmad View Post
              I have a fellow soldier interested in Combat Engineer, he is currently enlisted and was wondering a few things before he started talking to his unit about reclassing...
              1)How long is the reclass school?
              2)How much combat soldiering will he do as opposed to the demo, building up, tearing down, clearance half?
              3)Is Sapper Leader Course the only school Combat Engineers get sent to normally? Or are Combat Engineers in the good possibility for Airborne or Air Assault as well?
              4)Lastly, any idea if there is any strictly Sapper or Armored Units in Illinois Army National Guard that would house Combat Engineers rather than a boring Horizontal and Vertical Engineer unit
              REALLY???? Have you ever been apart of a horizontal or vertical unit? I am in a vertical unit attached to a horizontal unit and we have had more guys put in for CABs than both RCPs(12B) here put together.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 12B Combat Engineer...

                Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                REALLY???? Have you ever been apart of a horizontal or vertical unit? I am in a vertical unit attached to a horizontal unit and we have had more guys put in for CABs than both RCPs(12B) here put together.
                Thats all well and good sir, taking small arms fire while constructing/deconstructing stuff and hitting mines and IED's while doing route improvement is serious business. Not saying they didn't earn their CABs. However, when we consider what the OP is asking the Sapper companies will have a lot more emphasis on small unit leadership, combat battle drills, and physical fitness standards. Who is more likely to get called up for a direct action type mission? The H or V guys or the Sappers? Especially when we are talking about breaching, mobility and counter mobility operations. I don't know how things are in your company but I know that the H and V guys in my battalion would have a hard time performing battle drill 1A to any kind of standard. They don't focus and train on the combat battle drills, but they can build a road very quickly and efficiently.

                Comment


                • #9

                  hey I am currently an e-5 91J and have wanted to re-class to 12B but haven't been able to do to my contract (I got a bonus when I enlisted so I've had to ride it out) I ETS this year and was wondering if its possible to re-class and keep my rank? I haven't had any good answers from the people at my unit but I've heard that I can I just need to find a slot, if so does anyone know of any open slots in Illinois?

                  Comment


                  • SF Hunter
                    SF Hunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You really need to discuss your options with your unit or state retention NCO.
                Working...
                X