Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGR? Move?

Hello GForum,

So, I am in the CT National Guard. Will be in Basic in less than a month (FT Lenordwood 88M). After Basic and AIT. I am hoping to reclass in 42A but I am not set on that, just a preference. I am hoping to make a move to anywhere in the South Preferably VA,TX,SC,NC,FL or GA. I have been looking at AGR positions in those areas and I am very well qualified for them. I was wondering how difficult it would be to transfer to those states in order to obtain those positions? Or would I be wasting my time. Or is it possible that I just switch over to the Regular Army just to be stationed in one of those states. Also if anyone has or knows of any slots in the states Please feel free to send me a PM.

Thank You in Advance!

(Fixed typo in title -SteveLord)
    Last edited by SteveLord; January 22nd, 2013, 01:13 AM. Reason: No personal email address allowed for privacy

Re: ARG? Move?

First, are you aware of how difficult it is to get an AGR position? And how it's next to impossible for new Soldiers? I can tell you that 42A AGR jobs often require a lot of experience that you won't get right out of training. New privates on AGR orders in my experience were the exception, not the norm. I'm not saying it's something you shouldn't investigate. Just be realistic about your options, especially if you plan on relocating. You may have to be enlisted for a few years before you would even be considered a candidate.

Secondly, if you wanted a full time job, I have to ask why you didn't just join Active Army? If you are seriously considering switching, now is the perfect time to look into. Once you attend your training, it's very difficult (some would go as far as to say impossible in this enlistment climate) to get released for Active Duty.

Comment

Soldiers in the active component have limited influence over their stationing. The AC has consolidated a number of functions, resulting in large concentrations of Soldiers on a few installations. I suspect none of them are near where you want to live.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        First, are you aware of how difficult it is to get an AGR position? And how it's next to impossible for new Soldiers? I can tell you that 42A AGR jobs often require a lot of experience that you won't get right out of training. New privates on AGR orders in my experience were the exception, not the norm. I'm not saying it's something you shouldn't investigate. Just be realistic about your options, especially if you plan on relocating. You may have to be enlisted for a few years before you would even be considered a candidate.

Secondly, if you wanted a full time job, I have to ask why you didn't just join Active Army? If you are seriously considering switching, now is the perfect time to look into. Once you attend your training, it's very difficult (some would go as far as to say impossible in this enlistment climate) to get released for Active Duty.
        Thank You. I would of joined the Army for Active duty but I my education was important to me.Also I have applied for some jobs and have had interviews and been chosen for the position and I've only been in the Guard for a few months. So I can't imagine how hard it would be hard for a solider to get an AGR job who is qualified. to I appreciate your comments though.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses1291
          Thank You. I would of joined the Army for Active duty but I my education was important to me. Also The only reason I chose national guard was because I didnt get passed LDAC and my contract stated I had to do National Guard or Army Reserve. I appreciate your comments though.
          So why did you write that you active duty was an option to go to those states? It seems like you should have made the effort to join the regular Army. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses1291 View Post
            Thank You. I would of joined the Army for Active duty but I my education was important to me.Also I have applied for some jobs and have had interviews and been chosen for the position and I've only been in the Guard for a few months. So I can't imagine how hard it would be hard for a solider to get an AGR job who is qualified. to I appreciate your comments though.
            What are you talking about here? What positions?

Getting an AGR job...ANY AGR job is increadibly difficult. They are highly sought after.

If you haven't even been to basic, you don't qualify to even apply for AGR.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses1291 View Post
              Chosen for a position before completing your training? And you are accepting it when school is your priority? Personally, I'm confused and am sensing there's more to the story then you have said. Regardless, consider yourself very lucky to have been offered an AGR position. Your situation is not the norm by any means.
              Last edited by RyCass; January 22nd, 2013, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                Chosen for a position before completing your training? And you are accepting it when school is your priority? Personally, I'm confused and am sensing there's more to the story then you have said. Regardless, consider yourself very lucky to have been offered an AGR position. Your situation is not the norm by any means.
                He wasn't offered an AGR position. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by CarmeliqygonaB
                  that nice i hope if you really able to handle the the position of AGR you will get that position soon.
                  Pasadena Locksmith
                  Yea. I'm going to hire you as my locksmith, you can't even ******* write a sentence!

Comment

Working...
                  X