X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My head is spinning!

Now I realize that this decision is ultimately up to me and what I think would be best for me and my family. I also know that each choice listed is dependent on what is available in my state, or how far I am willing to travel. Basically, I would like to have input from anyone in some (if not all) of these MOS's to hopefully give me some insight into the pro's and con's. I have pulled up loads of information about each one, and have a basic understanding of what quals I might need in order to get the job. I suppose this is more or less an attempt at a compare-contrast scenario. This is the area of enlistment I am struggling with the most! Thanks everyone!

o 12B Combat Engineer
    o 12M Firefighter
    o 11C Indirect Fire Infantryman
    o 19D Cavalry Scout
    o 19K M1 Armor Crewman
    o 91F Small Arms/Artillery Repairer
    o Aviator through WOCS and WOFT

Re: My head is spinning!

I just mentioned in another post that 12M is a very rare MOS. It would be great if you could find a slot...but kudos if you could find one. Rotory Wing Aviator is not something you can enlist directly into in the Guard, although I've seen several PFCs and SPCs attend flight school as recently as November.

You will have more upward mobilitiy in the 12B, 11C series. 91F for example is a small career field. I have a close friend who was a E-4 for 7 years with very high points on the promotion list...just no slot avaliblitiy.

Comment

I have heard from others also about how rare 12M is to find. There are zero in CO right now, but one 4 hours away in WYO. Little bit of a commute! I also thought that since I am a civilian firefighter, I could use this opportunity to advance myself in a totally new and different field. I like the upward mobility outlook of some of the ones listed, and ultimately want to advance "onward and upward" as much as I possibly can. Thank you!

Comment

Nothing better in this world than a Warrant Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          Nothing better in this world than a Warrant Officer.
          If you do say so yourself!

OP,

A 4 hour commute is "do-able", but it really does change the committment of a drill weekend. You have to leave Friday evening (or get up at 2am), and you aren't home until late Sunday evening....Your mileage is not reimbursable, and a 400 mile round trip will cut into your drill pay quite a bit. Some soldiers still choose to do it though because they REALLY want a particular job...but just think it through.

Comment

I have been speaking with a CW2 here in CO about my options as far as Warrant Officer, and I am quite intrigued...

And those were the same thoughts I had concerning the commute. My lifted Wrangler probably wouldn't appreciate the wear n' tear, and my wife certainly wouldn't appreciate me paying for 12mpg...Definitely something to think about. Appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Fireman4X4 View Post
              I have been speaking with a CW2 here in CO about my options as far as Warrant Officer, and I am quite intrigued...

And those were the same thoughts I had concerning the commute. My lifted Wrangler probably wouldn't appreciate the wear n' tear, and my wife certainly wouldn't appreciate me paying for 12mpg...Definitely something to think about. Appreciate it!
              I served as a combat engineer for numerous years and it has advance potential just like any other combat arms MOS but if you can go for better rank and pay as a WO; why not?

Comment

I saw that the AIT timeframe for the 12M says "13 weeks, 1 day at Goodfellow AFB, Texas". My question is this: Will the entire AIT be completed at Goodfellow? Or is it 13 weeks at one location and then one "final" day at Goodfellow? The statement I found made it seem as though it was broken down into two locations which doesn't make much sense...

Comment

All of the training is at Goodfellow AFB, On my contract it only says Goodfellow AFB for 13 weeks 1 day. Ive never heard of it being held anywhere else either.

Comment

Thanks man. I figured it would all be at Goodfellow, just needed some clarification. Wanted to do some looking around at their site to see if they had any info on their academy.

Comment

No problem. If you haven't all ready you can go on youtube and type in DOD fire Academy or Goodfellow fire academy and there are tons of videos of different Graduation classes that show what they do and how the academy really is.

Comment

I actually just started watching those after I responded last. Looks awesome! Just wanted to see how it might compare to the academy I went through and the few that I have taught.

Comment

I cant wait . How long have you been a civilian Firefighter?

Comment

7 years now, and love every minute of it. All those years have been volunteer status though. Was deployed to the High Park Fire outside of Ft. Collins, CO this past summer. How about yourself?

Comment

I have Zero firefighting Experience,So I'm going into this academy with a clean slate to learn on which I feel is better for me so I don't have to break any habits. I tried to Volunteer last year at my local station but apparently they were over strength. I plan on Hopefully making a Career out of firefighting on the Civilian side even though we both know how hard it is to get a Permanent Career firefighting spot at a station.

Comment

Working...
                              X